DOCTOR DOOM (Rumor: Marvel Studios' Unexpected Plans for Doom)

Update: March 22, 2018

Noah Hawley Says His DOCTOR DOOM Movie Will Be a Mixture of Genres

VrvAPYy.jpg

Among the many plates Noah Hawley has spinning in the air at the moment, arguably the most intriguing—and mysterious—is a solo movie he’s penning and possibly directing about the iconic comic book character Doctor Victor Von Doom.

Fox has tried and failed to bring this fan-favorite to life with the hokey mid-2000s Fantastic Four series, where Doom was played by Julian McMahon (Nip/Tuck), and the ill-advised gritty 2015 reboot, which saw Toby Kebbell (Kong: Skull Island) take on the role. Neither meshed with general audiences or hard core comics fans.

But Hawley wants to attack the property from a new angle, multiple ones actually, with the idea of giving fans something they haven’t quite seen before.

“As with Legion, my thought was that the [superhero] genre has a certain kind of movie covered, but what else can the genre do,” Hawley told Observer. “What’s interesting to me about Doom’s character is he’s the king of an Eastern European country and is there a version of this that is more of a political thriller that mixes genre?”

The creator/showrunner pointed to a recent successful example in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) as a starting point for his own story.

“It’s something that [Captain America] Winter Soldier did really well, which was kind of make a Cold War thriller movie out of a superhero movie. This is different than that, but it does have this idea of, and I don’t want to say too much about it, but it is a mixture of genres,” he explained. “The mandate is not to re-launch the Fantastic Four franchise as much as it is to take this fascinating and under-served character and really build a movie about him where we ask the question: Is he a hero? Is he a villain? What does he really want?”

“We’re able to explore these questions in a serious way,” Hawley added.

Superhero fans have been clamoring for a quality portrayal of Doctor Doom for the better part of a decade now, and Hawley’s unique storytelling talents—ambitious visuals and a symbiotic relationship between plot and character—make him the perfect mind to shepherd that version into existence.

But one potentially major roadblock stands in his way and it’s not the Fantastic Four.

With Disney’s acquisition of 21st Century Fox’s major entertainment assets expected to be approved by mid-2019, no one is sure what will happen with the current X-Men universe, which takes place in a separate continuity from the MCU. Disney CEO Bob Iger has mentioned that the Deadpool franchise will be allowed to continue in all of its R-rated glory, but the rest of Fox’s superhero slate is a question mark.

As of now, Hawley knows just as much as we do.

“That’s not clear to me yet. I haven’t had any larger Marvel-based conversations about if they have plans for the X-Men universe or if they have plans for their other Fox-controlled comic properties. I would have to imagine there’s a plan in a drawer somewhere,” he said.

http://observer.com/2018/03/legion-fargo-noah-hawley-talks-doctor-doom-film-disney-fox-sale/

"I'm Peter by the way."

"Doctor Doom."

"Oh, you're using made-up names? Then I am Spider-Man."

Yeah, I'm seeing this.

Excelsior.

I love Legion.
But fuck man. Why are these assholes rushing to make movies when they know Disney bought the rights and has their own connected universe going?
Makes no sense,and just comes off as a dick move. If FOX still wants to make some money on these characters until the deal is finalized then they could do what Sony did with Spiderman. Makes no sense to start and restart franchises that are going to be killed and redone in a few short years. Total waste of stories and talent

Don't trust Fox but if Noah Hawley is in charge of the Doctor Doom movie, I'm very optimistic. Fargo and Legion are amazing.

I really enjoy both those shows. Would definitely watch a Dr Doom movie as long as it's actually based more on the Marvel character.

Really like Legion and the style of that show. I'm down for a Doom movie made by the same guy.

I really enjoy both those shows. Would definitely watch a Dr Doom movie as long as it's actually based more on the Marvel character.
I made that comment when the Fox-Disney deal wasn't even a factor. But now that it is, I'm hoping this project would be put on hold and to see if this is what Kevin Feige has in store for Doom in the MCU.

Last edited:
I made that comment when the Fox-Disney merger wasn't even a factor. But now that it is, I'm hoping this project would be put on hold and to see if this is what Kevin Feige has in store for Doom in the MCU.

Oh I thought that Fox still had access to the Fantastic Four characters. Not the case huh?

Oh I thought that Fox still had access to the Fantastic Four characters. Not the case huh?
As of now, yes. Fox still controls X-Men and Fantastic Four because the Fox-Disney deal is still under review by the United States Department of Justice Antitrust Division.

As of now, yes. Fox still controls X-Men and Fantastic Four because the Fox-Disney deal is still under review by the United States Department of Justice Antitrust Division.

So it will include both X-Men and Fantastic Four characters. That's nifty if it goes through.

sounds like shit and if its not done by marvel ill pass. Anything fox im passing on when it comes to comics. Fuck them

I entirely expect Galactus or Annihilus to be teased in Avengers. I don’t care if the deal is done or not; there’ll be a hint of what’s to come and i fully expect it to be cosmic based.

Back