DOCTOR DOOM (Rumor: Marvel Studios' Unexpected Plans for Doom)

Update: March 22, 2018

Noah Hawley Says His DOCTOR DOOM Movie Will Be a Mixture of Genres

VrvAPYy.jpg

Among the many plates Noah Hawley has spinning in the air at the moment, arguably the most intriguing—and mysterious—is a solo movie he’s penning and possibly directing about the iconic comic book character Doctor Victor Von Doom.

Fox has tried and failed to bring this fan-favorite to life with the hokey mid-2000s Fantastic Four series, where Doom was played by Julian McMahon (Nip/Tuck), and the ill-advised gritty 2015 reboot, which saw Toby Kebbell (Kong: Skull Island) take on the role. Neither meshed with general audiences or hard core comics fans.

But Hawley wants to attack the property from a new angle, multiple ones actually, with the idea of giving fans something they haven’t quite seen before.

“As with Legion, my thought was that the [superhero] genre has a certain kind of movie covered, but what else can the genre do,” Hawley told Observer. “What’s interesting to me about Doom’s character is he’s the king of an Eastern European country and is there a version of this that is more of a political thriller that mixes genre?”

The creator/showrunner pointed to a recent successful example in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) as a starting point for his own story.

“It’s something that [Captain America] Winter Soldier did really well, which was kind of make a Cold War thriller movie out of a superhero movie. This is different than that, but it does have this idea of, and I don’t want to say too much about it, but it is a mixture of genres,” he explained. “The mandate is not to re-launch the Fantastic Four franchise as much as it is to take this fascinating and under-served character and really build a movie about him where we ask the question: Is he a hero? Is he a villain? What does he really want?”

“We’re able to explore these questions in a serious way,” Hawley added.

Superhero fans have been clamoring for a quality portrayal of Doctor Doom for the better part of a decade now, and Hawley’s unique storytelling talents—ambitious visuals and a symbiotic relationship between plot and character—make him the perfect mind to shepherd that version into existence.

But one potentially major roadblock stands in his way and it’s not the Fantastic Four.

With Disney’s acquisition of 21st Century Fox’s major entertainment assets expected to be approved by mid-2019, no one is sure what will happen with the current X-Men universe, which takes place in a separate continuity from the MCU. Disney CEO Bob Iger has mentioned that the Deadpool franchise will be allowed to continue in all of its R-rated glory, but the rest of Fox’s superhero slate is a question mark.

As of now, Hawley knows just as much as we do.

“That’s not clear to me yet. I haven’t had any larger Marvel-based conversations about if they have plans for the X-Men universe or if they have plans for their other Fox-controlled comic properties. I would have to imagine there’s a plan in a drawer somewhere,” he said.

http://observer.com/2018/03/legion-fargo-noah-hawley-talks-doctor-doom-film-disney-fox-sale/

You know what guys.

Let fox keep wasting their money and recieve more hate from fans.

Once the deal go's through, MCU will remake a BETTER version anyway.

Yes, both properties will return back to Marvel if the deal is approved.

NiLfZz5.jpg

xsbeSMc.jpg

At this point,

Let any studio waste and lose money if they even try doing a marvel movie not done by MCU.

Majority of superhero fans are comic book fans and by now no one is oblivious to MCU's success.

Eventually MCU will just remake it

They need to wait until the deal is finalized and let Marvel develop the current Fox properties properly. They've had three chances with the FF, and though i didn't mind the first two, they were really lacking. It's pointless for this guy to work on a script if the deal is set to be finalized in a year.

We’re almost at the end of phase 3. It ends with Avengers 4 in like 14 months.

You ends with Avengers 4 in like 14 months.

<45><45><45>

Oh thanks man. I guess I'm mistaken. I have read that there are plans for movies beyond the current roster of heroes and actors. Maybe we'll see a cool storyline with both Avengers and X-men in it.

Update: March 22, 2018

Noah Hawley Says His DOCTOR DOOM Movie Will Be a Mixture of Genres

VrvAPYy.jpg

Among the many plates Noah Hawley has spinning in the air at the moment, arguably the most intriguing—and mysterious—is a solo movie he’s penning and possibly directing about the iconic comic book character Doctor Victor Von Doom.

Fox has tried and failed to bring this fan-favorite to life with the hokey mid-2000s Fantastic Four series, where Doom was played by Julian McMahon (Nip/Tuck), and the ill-advised gritty 2015 reboot, which saw Toby Kebbell (Kong: Skull Island) take on the role. Neither meshed with general audiences or hard core comics fans.

But Hawley wants to attack the property from a new angle, multiple ones actually, with the idea of giving fans something they haven’t quite seen before.

“As with Legion, my thought was that the [superhero] genre has a certain kind of movie covered, but what else can the genre do,” Hawley told Observer. “What’s interesting to me about Doom’s character is he’s the king of an Eastern European country and is there a version of this that is more of a political thriller that mixes genre?”

The creator/showrunner pointed to a recent successful example in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) as a starting point for his own story.

“It’s something that [Captain America] Winter Soldier did really well, which was kind of make a Cold War thriller movie out of a superhero movie. This is different than that, but it does have this idea of, and I don’t want to say too much about it, but it is a mixture of genres,” he explained. “The mandate is not to re-launch the Fantastic Four franchise as much as it is to take this fascinating and under-served character and really build a movie about him where we ask the question: Is he a hero? Is he a villain? What does he really want?”

“We’re able to explore these questions in a serious way,” Hawley added.

Superhero fans have been clamoring for a quality portrayal of Doctor Doom for the better part of a decade now, and Hawley’s unique storytelling talents—ambitious visuals and a symbiotic relationship between plot and character—make him the perfect mind to shepherd that version into existence.

But one potentially major roadblock stands in his way and it’s not the Fantastic Four.

With Disney’s acquisition of 21st Century Fox’s major entertainment assets expected to be approved by mid-2019, no one is sure what will happen with the current X-Men universe, which takes place in a separate continuity from the MCU. Disney CEO Bob Iger has mentioned that the Deadpool franchise will be allowed to continue in all of its R-rated glory, but the rest of Fox’s superhero slate is a question mark.

As of now, Hawley knows just as much as we do.

“That’s not clear to me yet. I haven’t had any larger Marvel-based conversations about if they have plans for the X-Men universe or if they have plans for their other Fox-controlled comic properties. I would have to imagine there’s a plan in a drawer somewhere,” he said.

http://observer.com/2018/03/legion-fargo-noah-hawley-talks-doctor-doom-film-disney-fox-sale/

Why do you think fox is still continueing to pursue heroes theyve sold?

Are they trying too squeeze every little dollar before it finalizes?

Are they trying to lose money? Get hate from fans?

Why do you think fox is still continueing to pursue heroes theyve sold?

Are they trying too squeeze every little dollar before it finalizes?

Are they trying to lose money? Get hate from fans?
I think it makes sense if you look at it from a business standpoint. What if the Disney-Fox deal won't be approved? If they don't have anything lined up ready to go, then they don't have anything planned to go into production for the next foreseeable months. Besides, it's not like they're already going into production with this Doctor Doom movie. The writer-director is still in the midst of finishing his script.

[Edit: If you didn't know this but the Doctor Doom movie was first announced in July 2017, months before the talks of a Disney-Fox deal.]

Last edited:
I think it makes sense if you look at it from a business standpoint. What if the Disney-Fox deal won't be approved? If they don't have anything lined up ready to go, then they don't have anything planned to go into production for the next foreseeable months. Besides, it's not like they're already going into production with this Doctor Doom movie. The writer-director is still in the midst of finishing his script.

[Edit: If you didn't know this but the Doctor Doom movie was first announced in July 2017, months before the talks of a Disney-Fox deal.]

Makes sense

It's just marvel movies not being part of the MCU just seems all over the place at this point. What universe are they exactly building off of?

And at this point fans are more prone to catch a Marvel Movie if done by MCU

The fantastic four are really lame as starring characters, but I really like them as supporting characters.

I hope they never get another movie about them, but I wouldn't mind if they showed up in the doctor Doom movie, or in the next Thanos movie. Especially Reed Richards.

fox has screwed up with every FF4 movie..... Doom sucked in all of them....how will this be any different?

Nice. This might work. Doom can be the protagonist and antagonist keeping his country his own ala North Korea.

The Fantastic 4 could have been so sweet if done right. Instead, we get that pile of shit that I've happily mostly forgotten about

Has anyone seen the trailer? I went to see Equalizer 2 and a teaser trailer played during the previews. It didn't specifically say Dr Doom Origins, but the trailer which lasted perhaps 30 seconds showed an isolated castle surrounded by woods and mountains, and a guy with a metal mask. I am 99% certain it was Doom but it seems like the teaser trailer vanished?

There is a Dr Doom movie in works for 2019 or later (announced on imdb) but only the story is finished and it appears it's not going anywhere for now. Was the trailer removed because the title is in a deadlock? (Something to do with Fox and Disney)

I'm not particularly fond of comics but that trailer gave me goose bumps

Last edited:
Must have been a teaser for something else.

From what I could find the Doom movie is still just a script and doesn't seem to be going anywhere at the moment.

Maybe it’s a remake of “Man In The Iron Mask”? You know Hollywood can’t get enough of remakes / sequels no one asked for.

There is no Doom movie set to come out. You’re wrong.

I can’t find any real updates on a Doom movie. Maybe a cheaper version of Transformers where people pretend they’re robots?

Back