Does anybody else think GTA IV sucked?

4 was a great game.. I have played through all of them because Im old as fuck except for the chinatown one, but that was mainly handheld. I also believe that my friend and I couldve been responsible for the elvis impersonators. Right after we played gta 1 we emailed someone at rockstar a strongly worded email begging for elvis impersonators in the game. Youre all welcome.

Can't remember how aggressive they were in the PS2 games, but I think they were the most aggressive in GTAV. Not to mention that getting even a 1 star rating off you, took an absurd amount of time in GTAV. That's the first thing I noticed about that game. Just how long it took to get rid of the wanted stars. I also thought they killed you way too fast. You couldn't really rampage in GTAV for too long on foot, which was kind of annoying.

They're aggressive in GTAIV, but not to an irritating degree, like GTAV.

It's been a while since I've played 4. Maybe I'm not describing it accurately in terms of their aggression, but I found them much harder to evade in GTA4. If I remember correctly, you had a large "detection" radius you had to escape, and it seemed like they always knew where you were within that radius. In GTA5, the cops had a line of sight, which if you stayed away or hid, you'd be OK.

I agree that in GTA5 it seemed to take a while for the Wanted Level to disappear. I remember just sitting in my hiding spot for what seemed like forever, just waiting for it to go away.

I liked it more than V to be honest. Mainly because of the darker, more mature story to it and that Niko may be my favourite protagonist of all the GTA games (Trevor is my least favourite by far). I was okay with the driving in it too, although that may be due to the way I usually play unhurried in games. I think my typically average driving speed in IV is down in the 27-28 mph range, so yeah, I find it quite easy to control when turtling around the city.

Same here, this and the ballad of gay tony are my favourites for sure.

Cars drove like ass but Niko was awesome! I loved the opening when he got off the boat, it was incredible. Niko's strut and punching/fighting pedestrians hand to hand was miles better than anything in GTA V. He's such a badass.

AnxiousKnobbyFieldmouse-size_restricted.gif

p4maQEp.gif

I do remember hating restarting missions and piloting helicopters. The Ballad of Gay Tony had one mission I took forever to pass, believe it was the yacht/Heli mission, I'm getting triggered just thinking about it.

All in all though, an amazing experience.

It's been a while since I've played 4. Maybe I'm not describing it accurately in terms of their aggression, but I found them much harder to evade in GTA4. If I remember correctly, you had a large "detection" radius you had to escape, and it seemed like they always knew where you were within that radius. In GTA5, the cops had a line of sight, which if you stayed away or hid, you'd be OK.

I agree that in GTA5 it seemed to take a while for the Wanted Level to disappear. I remember just sitting in my hiding spot for what seemed like forever, just waiting for it to go away.

Yeah, GTA4 had this radius marker on the mini map, you had to get outside of. What was irritating about it, is that a lot of times (3 stars or more), you'd be on the cusp of getting away, only for more cops to spawn ahead of you. It didn't seem to matter much, what streets you turned down to lose them. The game would just decide randomly when you were able to get away, and would stop spawning cops ahead of you.

At least with a one star rating though, you could knock it off rather quickly, unlike GTAV, where you had to run or hide for what always seemed like an eternity to get rid of it. It could get really annoying if you accidentally triggered a wanted level during a mission, because if you get spotted too many times, it just automatically jumps to two stars, and you got play the waiting game all over again.

Cars drove like ass but Niko was awesome! I loved the opening when he got off the boat, it was incredible. Niko's strut and punching/fighting pedestrians hand to hand was miles better than anything in GTA V. He's such a badass.

AnxiousKnobbyFieldmouse-size_restricted.gif

p4maQEp.gif

I do remember hating restarting missions and piloting helicopters. The Ballad of Gay Tony had one mission I took forever to pass, believe it was the yacht/Heli mission, I'm getting triggered just thinking about it.

All in all though, an amazing experience.
I hate helicopter missions in games full stop. Saints Row 2's finale stayed unfinished for years, whilst one of the DLCs is still only partly done due to helicopters.

I hate helicopter missions in games full stop. Saints Row 2's finale stayed unfinished for years, whilst one of the DLCs is still only partly done due to helicopters.
Remember the Vice City mission where Burt Reynolds makes you fly toy helicopters through a building full of guards?

<2>

Remember the Vice City mission where Burt Reynolds makes you fly toy helicopters through a building full of guards?

<2>
I don't remember that one, even after looking it up (must have blanked it from my memory), but I remember the RC car races being a pain. I do recall the fucking Zero missions from San Andreas with his RC biplanes, however. Fucking hated those. Apart from the last of them, where you beat Berkley at Toy Soldiers. That was a doddle after the previous two.

I'm okay with missions with helicopters. Planes in those early GTA games were the end of me, though. I never could finish Vice City or San Andreas because of my lack of patience with those fucking things.

Yeah, GTA4 had this radius marker on the mini map, you had to get outside of. What was irritating about it, is that a lot of times (3 stars or more), you'd be on the cusp of getting away, only for more cops to spawn ahead of you. It didn't seem to matter much, what streets you turned down to lose them. The game would just decide randomly when you were able to get away, and would stop spawning cops ahead of you.

At least with a one star rating though, you could knock it off rather quickly, unlike GTAV, where you had to run or hide for what always seemed like an eternity to get rid of it. It could get really annoying if you accidentally triggered a wanted level during a mission, because if you get spotted too many times, it just automatically jumps to two stars, and you got play the waiting game all over again.

Not to mention the absurdity of the police system in V in general. Wanna use a silencer on some backwoods trail to pop some guy in the head? The game will count animals as witnesses, and ping up 9/11 calls for them. The cops then show up in the middle of nowhere within 10 seconds, and hunt a one star for 2 minutes.

Fucking stupid.

This thread inspired me to dust off GTAIV last night. I'm not very far in yet, but it's been fun. I'd forgotten how interesting the characters were in this game.

Also, not sure why so many people hate the driving in this game. It's maybe a touch more finicky than in the other GTA games, but after a brief adjustment period it's no big deal.

Also, not sure why so many people hate the driving in this game. It's maybe a touch more finicky than in the other GTA games, but after a brief adjustment period it's no big deal.

It's the handbrake. Most people are used to jamming it down to make tight turns. I believe the previous games had that more arcade-like control as well.

With GTAIV, you gotta tap that shit gently, while pumping the breaks. I'd be lying if I said it didn't throw me for a loop the first time I played it though. Was spinning out all over the place, and made me believe the controls were just bad. They're just a bit touchy, and require an adjustment. Once you get it though, it's awesome. Love the sense of speed in GTA IV as well. When the screen starts to blur, you really feel it.

Not to mention the absurdity of the police system in V in general. Wanna use a silencer on some backwoods trail to pop some guy in the head? The game will count animals as witnesses, and ping up 9/11 calls for them. The cops then show up in the middle of nowhere within 10 seconds, and hunt a one star for 2 minutes.

Fucking stupid.

I felt GTA4's system was about as bad and was especially annoying for the minigame where you had to kill like 100 or so of those little birds. After killing two of them, you immediately get two stars and then have to drive away to get out of the yellow circle to get the heat down...then you usually have to drive back to where you were to get more birds. Drove me crazy.

Much prefer the idea of just outracing the cops rather than having to escape from some annoying "cop circle" like in the older games.

(To be fair, I think GTA4 was pretty sweet but had maybe a few too many "kill 50 dudes in a warehouse" missions. Gay Tony had probably the best missions).

I really should fire up GTA5 one of these days but I know I'll be at the thing for at least a month or two so I have to find the time.

<2>
I hated the flight ones in SA. "Launch the Red Baron!" Could not tell youhow many times i heard that line.

It is kinda a let down from GTA San Adreas, the map looks smaller and less fun, I think GA V is really better b

It is kinda a let down from GTA San Adreas, the map looks smaller and less fun, I think GA V is really better b
I think that was what gave Saints Row its thing. They took the silliness that GTA lost between SA and IV and amped it up, rather than staying as yet another GTA clone.

I think that was what gave Saints Row its thing. They took the silliness that GTA lost between SA and IV and amped it up, rather than staying as yet another GTA clone.

Yeah, SR3 was definitely the GTA:SA-like game people wanted with GTA4, and filled the void quite nicely.

Then GTAV came out, and told SR that they should probably leave the room now.

One of my favorite single-player, story-driven experiences, with some of the best character and plot development, especially when considering the add-on packs.

As for soundtracks, I'll never forget this.

If they ever remake this with an updated engine, it'll be a day-one purchase.

Some are mentioning the janky driving physics. On a controller, I don't recall having any problems, but using a mouse and keyboard might be a different story, as it was for me when I played San Andreas on a PC.

Ah freshmen year of college nostalgia. My roommate was such a morning person. It was like clockwork every single morning that guitar strum was my alarm. Good days.

I liked Vice City, San Andreas, and Sleeping Dogs better. The driving felt so broken like you're driving on ice. The main character wasn't interesting and they ditched a lot of features that were in San Andreas. My least favorite GTA I've played.

Looking forward to Red Dead 2 though. The 1st one was a masterpiece.

Back