Does Anyone Actually Like Coleslaw Besides Me?

Law Talkin’ Guy

The Worm
@Gold
Reaction score
Coleslaw is a very common side dish it seems. Many, if not most restaurants offer it as an option for a side. And at BBQs and picnics it’s usally present as part of some trinity of “side salads” along with potato salad and macaroni salad. Even some fast food joints like KFC offer those three options.

So overall Coleslaw seems to be somewhat ubiquitous. However, I’ve noticed for about twenty years now that no one seems to like it. No one that is, except me. I love coleslaw. When I’m at a restaurant and a waitress asks me what I want as a side I’ll usually ask them to tell me the options and if coleslaw is available I’ll say “ooh, I’ll have coleslaw” which usually causes everyone around me to start giving me puzzled looks or say “really? Coleslaw? Okay then... fuckin weirdo”. I’m not sure I’ve ever actually met anyone else that actually liked it.

Is this normal, that no one likes coleslaw? I figure it can’t be, because if no one liked it, why would be offered everywhere? And yet who are these other people that like Coleslaw, and where are they??

coleslaw-recipe-2.jpg

Don't you guys put gravy on french fries up there? Your opinions on food are irrelevant.

I like peanut coleslaw cause it doesnt have any disgusting mayonnaise on it

No as well. Find the mashed potatoes. Figure it out.

I wanna say I am not overly fond, but the fresh made restaurant coleslaw is amazing in some places.
They are normally sold in tubs here in stores, which really are nothing special.
But in a restaurant with fries, corn and lamb or pork belly, it is the tits!

So shall I put you down for liking or not liking coleslaw?
It's alright. Our work makes these chicken sandwiches with coleslaw in them that are pretty good. I never eat it as a side though

It's alright. Our work makes these chicken sandwiches with coleslaw in them that are pretty good. I never eat it as a side though

This raises a good point actually. Occasionally I have met people that tolerate coleslaw but only if it’s in a pulled pork sandwich.

Never been a fan. As a kid we'd get it with our KFC and my Dad would always say "Shaun, there's a side a coleslaw there for you".

In those moments I questioned whether he knew me at all. I must have told him I hated coleslaw 50 times.

I can tolerated it now. I've even had some I've somewhat enjoyed but I'd never seek it out.

Never been a fan. As a kid we'd get it with our KFC and my Dad would always say "Shaun, there's a side a coleslaw there for you".

In those moments I questioned whether he knew me at all. I must have told him I hated coleslaw 50 times.

I can tolerated it now. I've even had some I've somewhat enjoyed but I'd never seek it out.

Damn. Wish I had been there with you growing up. I would have said “That’s ok Mr. Gotti, sir. I’ll eat Shaun’s coleslaw if he doesn’t want it.”

I sometimes throw coleslaw in my hotdog, on top of the relish, mustard and sauteed onions. I treat my wieners right.

I like it but it veers close to the kinda food you start eating because you're now at a certain age. Like liver. Cole slaw is to middle age as ambrosia fruit salad is to old people. Like the exact same line. First it's liking a little bit of sweet with your crunchy vegetable. Next it's full on dessert you don't have to risk cracking a tooth on that'll loosen your stool at the same time.

Coleslaw is an excellent incubator for bacteria. I avoid it like the plague.

Damn. Wish I had been there with you growing up. I would have said “That’s ok Mr. Gotti, sir. I’ll eat Shaun’s coleslaw if he doesn’t want it.”

Lol I would have been happy to give it to you.

I don't eat much KFC anymore but I remember it being the only time I'd dip my fries in the gravy rather than eat them with ketchup. I loved that gravy back then.

I like it but it veers close to the kinda food you start eating because you're now at a certain age. Like liver. Cole slaw is to middle age as ambrosia fruit salad is to old people. Like the exact same line. First it's liking a little bit of sweet with your crunchy vegetable. Next it's full on dessert you don't have to risk cracking a tooth on that'll loosen your stool at the same time.

Oh god, I fucking hate ambrosia salad. My mom used to make it as a side for Christmas dinner every year when I was a little kid, but it was immensely unpopular among me and my three older siblings. At some point in the neighbourhood of 20 to 25 years ago she finally wisened up and stopped making that barf.

Is this normal, that no one likes coleslaw? I figure it can’t be, because if no one liked it, why would be offered everywhere? And yet who are these other people that like Coleslaw, and where are they??

Shredded cabbage and carrots are both cheap and easy to prepare.

I like a good cole slaw, but not often found. Usually it's flavorless damp cabbage.

Even for a good one, the other side options would have to be weak for me to take the slaw.

I like coleslaw , but wouldn't pick it over fries or a side salad or any number of things. I'd bet most people are probably in that camp explaining the reactions you get.

Lol no. When I want to fatten myself up my side is fries. When I want to eat healthy I take a side salad. Coleslaw is the worst of both worlds. Doesn't taste as good as fries, is technically a salad but covered in mayo so it's not healthy.

Back