Does anyone else thinks Nate the Great Marquardt would be champ today in his prime

Had a ton of talent, really good combos, great game. But upstairs must be lacking because sometimes he didn't show up.

He lost to a lesser version of Thales Leites when he was smack dead in his prime.He was a product of a middleweight division that had no deprh.
If you'd actually seen the fight you'd know Marquardt kicked Thales Leites butt. He lost because of an accidental illegal knee in the 2nd and elbows to the side of the head (which isn't even illegal) in the 3rd.

R1: 10-9 Leites
R2: 9-9 (point deduction Marquardt)
R3: 9-9 (point deduction Marquardt)

Prime Nate was a beast and Anderson destroyed him with ease. One of Anderson's most underrated wins.

i was stoked when he signed with the UFC. then he never fought Franklin; that's the fight i really wanted to see.

i doubt he would have won, but i wanted to see it.

as others have pointed out, he was just never quite top material. no shame in that. he was just under it.

the answer is no. he was always on the verge, but never made it happen, before during or after his "prime". maybe he could pull a Bisping and get over that hump once (Bisping IS 1fer7 against top tier fighters; Nate's record against top competition is at least that good), but he wouldn't sustain a run.

He wasn't champ material back then in his prime. Now he would be even less of a gatekeeper.

If you'd actually seen the fight you'd know Marquardt kicked Thales Leites butt. He lost because of an accidental illegal knee in the 2nd and elbows to the side of the head (which isn't even illegal) in the 3rd.

R1: 10-9 Leites
R2: 9-9 (point deduction Marquardt)
R3: 9-9 (point deduction Marquardt)
I saw...i bet it (the line made no sense) and it was a close fight.Leites squeaked by. Bottom line

If not for Anderson Silva he would've been, not a long time reigning champion though.

Back