Does anyone else use the front leg hook kick?

The rear step through version seems low in terms of reward. It seems like its hard to generate power with that one. I prefer to do a step through rear leg side kick to the face, rather than the whipping motion. But thats me.

Well I don't throw a lot of hook kicks. I use it from a weak clinch. My sparring partners don't really know what to expect or understand the hooking motion and I'm lanky...so it lands pretty often as long as I get the leg through and up.

Last edited:
It can have awesome power, but is restricted almost solely to the head, and is easily read and jammed. Then, when it's jammed, your left wide open all down your side. I actually have a tkd black belt in the dojo that throws this technique almost reflexively, and she gets jammed and beat up alot for her efforts. Trying hard to get her to use the front leg side kick/front kick instead.

Norichika Tsukamoto uses it alotttt in kyokushin & knockdown karate with alot of success........but that said, I think it takes alot of practice to get it working the way he does & with that success.

He uses a hook kick to the thigh quite alot.

In this video you see him use quite a few hook kicks to the thigh & face, work well as feints to.

That's what I like about kyokushin (and other karate styles). When you knock a fighter out, you're not celebrating and cheering in their face. You sit down with your back towards your opponent and wait till he recovers.

So I thought about you fuckers today while at the Muay Thai gym. I was working with a partner of mine and we decided to go a few rounds. I thought....hey....why not try a hook kick? So as he threw a right straight I countered with a right hook kick over his shoulder to his head. It was a 50% spar so nothing extremely powerful. But did it work? Eh. It "did" but I still wouldn't depend on it as a combo finisher. It was more to frustrate the other guy and keep him guessing. That said...I teeped him off his feet a few times, side kicked the crap out of him the entire time, and spiced it up with some round kicks to the face.

To his skill--he had great timing on his low kicks. Kept tagging me when I was close and in the process of punching. Couldn't see the kicks coming because I was busy punching him. Fucker. I guess it's good I taught him that crap because it works even on me.

Eh, I'm not huge fan of the lead hook head kick because how easy it is to get swept. Does it work for some people? Sure, but for me, the only time I use it is for unorthodox angles to hit the legs.

The front leg hooking heel kick is a good technique which shouldn't be ruled out from your arsenal, but it's not something you want to throw from a static position.

Ideally, you should be moving forward, putting pressure on your opponent with punches and kicks which are meant to distract more than to damage. You have to set this one up, you have to be moving to really give this kick power.

In the same way that a MT guy will take a step forward to throw a front leg round kick, you need to step into this kick.

A simple way to set it up is to throw side and low round kicks that require the same footwork. Land a few of those, enough to make your opponent weary of your footwork. When they assume that you're telegraphing the same kicks you've been throwing, they'll guard their legs and torso, which leaves their head vulnerable.

Its better to slide in and try to swing it up behind their head and hit the side of their neck or back of their head then to try to hook it into the face.

all techniques can be used, to how and when is the extent, I bet if you got someone to thing you were throwing a side kick and change it at the last second.

That's what I like about kyokushin (and other karate styles). When you knock a fighter out, you're not celebrating and cheering in their face. You sit down with your back towards your opponent and wait till he recovers.

Thanks Boran, nice to see someone appreciate it. :)

I like to use the kick on the lead leg when my adversary steps forward or lifts their leg up for a kick i cant hit hard with it but i can knock someone down consistently with it by tripping up there legs.

This is going to sound conceited as hell, but I think I'm 1 of 2 people I've ever seen throw a proper front foot hook kick. Most people pull with their hamstrings towards their heel to throw some insanely weak, slow garbage. Most of the power comes from the twisting of the torso, and then a slight plyometric jerk of the hamstrings whips the kick into some real power, almost like the end of a backfist.

Also you MUST land it to the face for anyone to take it seriously, and I'm tall enough to do that easily on anyone.

I've used it a few times - it has only landed once (from the clinch of all things) but it served as a good distraction

I use it too keep my opponent guessing, and yes it usually is not possible for them to read if all I do in the past is sidekicks.. But I have never tagged someone with a hook kick so far. Not close enough to my opponent

This is going to sound conceited as hell, but I think I'm 1 of 2 people I've ever seen throw a proper front foot hook kick. Most people pull with their hamstrings towards their heel to throw some insanely weak, slow garbage. Most of the power comes from the twisting of the torso, and then a slight plyometric jerk of the hamstrings whips the kick into some real power, almost like the end of a backfist.

Also you MUST land it to the face for anyone to take it seriously, and I'm tall enough to do that easily on anyone.
I use it too keep my opponent guessing, and yes it usually is not possible for them to read if all I do in the past is sidekicks.. But I have never tagged someone with a hook kick so far. Not close enough to my opponent
Aim for a leg when they raise it off of the ground knock a muthafucka down.

Aim for a leg when they raise it off of the ground knock a muthafucka down.

When I was in TSD, I learned the coolest possible move that I've always been dying to try out. I'm too old to pull it off at this point, so someone who is young and fast please try this and get yourself killed.

You do a spin like you're about to back kick, and when the opponent sees you spin he's going to go for a takedown or close the distance and smother in the clinch or punches or whatever. But it's a crazy super fast initial spin that's a fake, and once you're facing forward again you throw the actual back kick straight up into the air at really short range. I think it could actually work against a wrestler at long range, but there's no way I could pull it off. Would be completely amazing to see some phenom pull it off in an actual fight. :) Probably the stuff of fantasies though.

When I was in TSD, I learned the coolest possible move that I've always been dying to try out. I'm too old to pull it off at this point, so someone who is young and fast please try this and get yourself killed.

You do a spin like you're about to back kick, and when the opponent sees you spin he's going to go for a takedown or close the distance and smother in the clinch or punches or whatever. But it's a crazy super fast initial spin that's a fake, and once you're facing forward again you throw the actual back kick straight up into the air at really short range. I think it could actually work against a wrestler at long range, but there's no way I could pull it off. Would be completely amazing to see some phenom pull it off in an actual fight. :) Probably the stuff of fantasies though.
Wait so you spin to feint, then you are squared up again, then you spin again and do a back kick high enough that your head is lower than your waist? For like a knockout? Im always willing to try new moves and im yound and fast<Moves>

Back