Does anyone in here not get along with or even hate their parents ?

Had good relationship from age 0-12 and 25 onward.

Took me and my parents a long time to treat me like a grown up. Most of that is being 1st generation immigrant. My desire to be treated like a grownup like my peers conflicted with their traditional values from "back home"

Haven't spoken to my mother in nearly 4 years, my father in 21.

My parents Are amazing people and I love them very much. I have never understood how someone can hate their mother and father, short of extreme physical or sexual abuse. I’m curious if some of you who may feel this way would be willing to explain why. It seems antithetical to nature to despise the people who brought you into this world.
There are people in the world who are into controlling and mindfucking, who always blame others and never take responsibility when there is a dispute, who are not very nice and not very intelligent to boot, who are so steeped in artifice and artificiality yet they see people outside that fake world as the crazy ones...these people can have kids, and while they don't physically or sexually abuse their kids, their kids still grow up in a very unhealthy environment. Dysfunctional family, dysfunctional family members. The kids naturally think it's all their fault when things go astray because the dysfunctional parents think so highly of themselves, so naturally the parents feel that they are blameless in all situations...then the kids grow up and begin to understand what went on as they are trying to heal themselves, to grow...they have relationships and they have children, and their eyes open more and more from the mistakes they make because they had such horrible role models....the end result - they despise their parents.

Then there are those who are fuck-ups in life, and blame their parents, despite not ever being physically or sexually abused. But maybe they have a point, sort of, despite being told by everybody that they're adults and therefore have to take responsibility for their lives and stop blaming their parents. Sometimes things are so deeply ingrained that they are dragged around forever as a heavy mental weight.

i hate my father. I wouldnt even go to his funeral to piss on his grave. but hat fucker will probably outlive me. I havent spoken to my mom in 3 years and dont plan to soon. i dont hate her, but she did me pretty wrong. parents are divorced

My parents Are amazing people and I love them very much. I have never understood how someone can hate their mother and father, short of extreme physical or sexual abuse. I’m curious if some of you who may feel this way would be willing to explain why. It seems antithetical to nature to despise the people who brought you into this world.
would you hate your dad if he was a deadbeat dad, never paying child support to your mom? how about if he pretends to want to be a good dad once you are older, convinces you to leave your good job and come live near him and follow your dreams? he has you build a restaurant, top to bottom over the course of a year, not getting paid, but with the promise of 50% ownership (and 100% after his money is made back). Meanwhile, your mother is telling you to get it in writing, but he always has an excuse not to and somehow you are naive enough to trust him.

Then the restaurant opens and is a smash hit right off the bat. At the same time, you are going to marry a girl from Panama who is giving up an awesome job as a news anchor to be with you. BUT, 3 days before you leave, your dad tells you that when you get back you will no longer be involved in the restaurant. He has made a business decision to go in another direction. Congrats on the marriage, but you will have no job, made nothing for the last year, and also need to leave his extra house you have been staying in while working on the restaurant. I am sure you guys will pull through.

Would it be unnatural to dislike your dad then?

I had two great parents who loved and provided for me. Not sure how I became such a fuck up

Hate both my biological parents. Disowned both and haven’t spoken in years and never will.
They divorced when I was 6. A selfish, self-centered methhead mother who refused to grow up. Living life as if she were still 17, physically abusive, never could hold down a job, replied on welfare and child support to survive but never could keep a roof over our heads due to her poor decision making.

And then of course the POS, alcoholic in denial farther. After the divorce, instead of putting away some money for me and my siblings, or continuing to make the house payments, he gambled away the tens of thousands he had, ran the home business into the ground, left nothing for anyone. Physically abusive but the real damage was the never ending verbal abuse.

Can’t wait for both to die off and be gone. Won’t even go to their funeral to spit on their grave.

I used to but not anymore. It's not good for me and in the grand scheme of things they were not that bad. They never sexually abused me or anything like that but they were/are both very angry, neurotic, closed-minded, and violent, especially my dad. My dad is bordering on alcoholic and I've seen him come home wasted more times than not throughout my life. I don't think he has toned down his drinking still. He beat my ass out of anger for trivial things and he went way overboard with things. He was also a giant hypocrite.

After living with anger and resentment for many years, I've reflected and I realized that they are just flawed human beings like any other. They were angry and frustrated with their own lives and they lashed out at me since a kid is an easy target. A telling episode in my life was realizing that my father was doing the exact same behaviors he got extremely angry at me for. He'd slap me and berate me for not speaking clearly like a man, then one day as a teenager I realized his peers were clowning him for the same thing. He has issues with mumbling without confidence when he tries to express himself, and instead of being aware of his own insecurities, he lashed out at me for it. I probably reminded me of all the things he hated about himself. Lacking in confidence, mumbling, weak, etc.

Ironically, now those are the same reasons that frustrates me about him. I stopped hating my parents, but I have a hard time taking them seriously. I can't relate to my dad much and my mom is just so neurotic and borders on having OCD about trivial shit. She has no chill and gets anal about shit nobody else seems to care about. I just can't deal with it and makes me want to keep my distance from her. Basically if they weren't my parents, my parents aren't the type of people I'd want to hang out with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not despise or hate, but don't really like to be around them at all. Made my life a living hell as a child with their horrible life choices. On the plus side, it helped to teach me how to be self-sufficient, and know early on what i never wish to be.
This.... x10000

I haven’t spoken to my mom in 25 years.never knew my dad.

She’s an ex heroin addict who turned Super uber Christian.i tried to make it work once but realized she’s a toxic ,evil person still. Me and my bro where beat by her loser boyfriends and random husbands until we were 8 and the courts took us.she beat aswell and they guys molested my sister..she stood by and watched.

Me and my bro grew up in foster homes /group homes/juvenile hall until emancipated at 16 1/2...

I used to hate her,now I pity her. She will die lonely. I don’t have one family member I talk to aside from my bro but he went the hate route and won’t let go of it..he’s let it consume him.

But damn did I learn how to hustle from it all..had a hard road but life’s pretty damn nice now. I carved out my piece of the cake quickly and I don’t think I would have been as successful as young if I didn’t have to be.

I speak to my parents at least once a week. They only live like 10 minutes away so I see them pretty often too. My mom is super overbearing though. I'm 31 and she still tries to inject herself into every aspect of my life. Drives me nuts.

I have great folks. Great relationship with both. I feel for you guys that had monsters, that just isn’t fair for kids. I had a kid on a football team that I coached that’s father was such an abusive asshole. One time he laced into me for something stupid. He was a cancer on the sidelines. I gritted my teeth and growled “If you ever talk to me like that again, I will beat you to a bloody pulp”. Another coach pulled me away. He was in shock and reported me to the league. They banned HIM from coming to any more games or practices because he was so publicly abusive.

William-H-Macy-Shameless.jpg

I picture this guy in my mind while listening to yalls dad stories

My dad died decades ago, my mother and I aren't on speaking terms, and tbh I'd be shocked if we were ever close again.

Lots of abuse and neglect during my childhood. I've made three attempts to reconcile as an adult, and every time they find some way to fuck me over. At this point I can only blame myself, for going back over and over.

So after the last big blowout I decided that was it. I'd honestly already ghosted my entire family, moved changed my number etc. But then I found out my mom was looking for me and thought I might be dead (we hadn't spoken in seven years at the time)

So I made one more attempt to reconcile with them in 2015, they fucked me over yet again, and I decided I don't deserve this treatment. Only reason I went back is to reconnect with my little brother, but I've finally realized my mom is way too much of a vindictive cunt to allow me to have a relationship with him.

Of course.

I love my dad to bits. A really cool guy who has time for everyone.

Thats great. Was the opposite for me dad was nuts and mom did everything she could to keep the family together.

Don't talk to my mom really. She was an angry verbally abusive cunt growing up and has never ever been motherly. I saw constant fighting between my parents as a kid and my old man almost shot her or himself when they we're arguing once, fun times. Anyways fuck her not worth my time. My dad was great and the only reason I'm not completely fucked up. Suicided in 2010 though so wtf.

I have my own beautiful family now so no time for her bullshit. I learned what not to do as a parent from my folks though. I give the kids lots of hugs and try to show my wife s lot of affection in front of them.

Last edited:

Your parents are just people. they are human so in essence they can be pieces of shit without physical and sexual abuse. Most people over look abuse because they put their parents on a pedestal. Lots of people shouldnt be parents.

Back