does being "tough" in general mean the ability to inflict damage or to be able to take it?

Toughness is the ability to Take damage.
Not to be confused with Chin, which is the ability to absorb impact on the chin, preventing a concussion.
Not to be confused with Endurance, which is the ability of the body to operate on limited resources.
Not to be confused with Heart, which is the ability to push past you're body telling you to give up.
Not to be confused with Spirit, which is the ability to push yourself forward regardless of the odds.
Not to be confused with WIll, which is the ability to maintain resolve in the face of danger.
Not to be confused with Grit, which is the ability to keep composure while wounded.
1c98344c4f618345e0e1cb03cfc10095.gif

How much you can take and keep going forward. THATS HOW WINNING IS DONE!

How much you can take and keep going forward. THATS HOW WINNING IS DONE!

Ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and THAT AINT YOU! You're better than that!

God, is that Rocky Speech the single greatest Inspirational Speech moment in cinematic History?

Ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and THAT AINT YOU! You're better than that!
28lyix2.jpg

The older you get, the tougher you get. Milennials and under are just tender little morsels.

I'm tough as fuck.

You do realize the "millennial" bracket starts at 1981 right? I'm 33, but I'm constantly lumped in with a group that is 10+ years younger and have had a completely different existence than mine and others I know around my age. I really could give a shit, but it's like that too easy of a punchline that you've heard about a fuckton times and it's lost its charm, if it ever existed.

i think being tough really means being able to take bullshit and drama not being affected by it compared to some pussy or insane punk pulling a trigger. im done w/my liquor. gonna go eat and will respond 2mmorow. another day another pay!!
The ability to withstand punishement emotionally or physically, or if an opponent is hard to beat he is tough to beat, or if a puzzle is difficult you say man this is tough

You do realize the "millennial" bracket starts at 1981 right? I'm 33, but I'm constantly lumped in with a group that is 10+ years younger and have had a completely different existence than mine and others I know around my age. I really could give a shit, but it's like that too easy of a punchline that you've heard about a fuckton times and it's lost its charm, if it ever existed.
I'm not bound by the generational timelines of pop culture. Milennials are those that have grown up in the existence of social media and smart phones. I'll fucking decide what group you belong to bud and its Gen X, so now you don't have to get your panties in a bunch anymore.

I'm not bound by the generational timelines of pop culture. Milennials are those that have grown up in the existence of social media and smart phones. I'll fucking decide what group you belong to bud and its Gen X, so now you don't have to get your panties in a bunch anymore.

Lol. I hope one day I never reach your level of self-righteousness, even if it's just on an anonymous internet forum. For the record, my panties are always in a bunch and I like it ... bud.

The ability to inflict damage makes you dangerous, not tough.

The ability to take damage/suffer hardship (physical + mental) and keep moving forward, makes you tough.

This. Also a tough person never says he is.

i think being tough really means being able to take bullshit and drama not being affected by it compared to some pussy or insane punk pulling a trigger. im done w/my liquor. gonna go eat and will respond 2mmorow. another day another pay!!

By definition being tough is the ability to withstand hard conditions. So a tough fighter would be a fighter who can take a beating and stay standing.

I think it's more about a general sort of resilience. There are guys tough in one aspect but weak in another. But there are some guys who are better at adapting to situations they've never been before. I forgot where I read this (might be Grossman's book) but fighters fold the first time they get shot at in a simmunition exercise like most people, but they adapt to it faster than the average person.

Takes a lot more to take it than to dole it out. Self restraint is something a lot of people lack nowadays.

By definition being tough is the ability to withstand hard conditions. So a tough fighter would be a fighter who can take a beating and stay standing.
sure bob. u dont know shit about what being tough is.

Back