Does butterfly guard have any self defense use?

Deltafarce

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Dumb question I never use it or have been trained on it. Last night we were working on it. I try to keep my Jiu-Jitsu focused on self defense or MMA mindset. Wondering if it has value and is worth working for my goals. Thanks

Yes, butterfly guard is used frequently in MMA to help people stand up from bottom (primary bottom goal in mma, and should be for self-defense IMO). With that said you're not going to pull seated guard and chill in butterfly in an MMA fight obviously.

maybe this worked but it's Pedro Sauer using it in a fight

Yes, definitely, though it's mostly used to create distance and stand up rather than sweep. You can't really 'play' butterfly in a real fight, it's something you use in transition. A good example is Cain - Lesnar, Cain uses BF to get back to his feet after a Lesnar TD.

Actually butterfly guard is better than closed guard for self defense.

Closed guard is good for sport bjj on mats .

probably one of the best guards for creating distance or flipping someone off if they go all in on an aggressive tackle

when it come to self defense the greatest tools are situational awareness and communication, if you are using butterfly guard then you already lost in some ways

Dumb question I never use it or have been trained on it. Last night we were working on it. I try to keep my Jiu-Jitsu focused on self defense or MMA mindset. Wondering if it has value and is worth working for my goals. Thanks
At first I agreed and thought this was a dumb question. Then I realized it's actually a very smart question. And the answer, beyond any shadow of a doubt, is that butterfly guard is one of the best guards imaginable for MMA.

But what you have to understand is that the entire difficulty with butterfly guard is not the effectiveness of the position. The butterfly guard position is extremely effective. The problem with the butterfly guard is that it's not an easy position to enter into as the bottom player. A skilled opponent isn't going to let you have butterfly guard with upper body grips. That's the entire difficulty with the position -- actually getting into it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that butterfly guard isn't like closed guard where you can chill out. Butterfly guard is an attacking position. Once you have your grips, you attack immediately and explosively. Alternatively, a lot of "non-BJJ guys" like Robbie Lawler are extremely effective at using the butterfly guard to simply create distance and get to their feet.

And then of course you have a badass like Demian Maia who literally TKO'd his opponent with a butterfly guard sweep. Watch from 3:40 (Again, the sweep is beautiful, but it's the entry into the position which is where the real work came in.)

Of course it works. Chances are you're not going to sit there trying to setup some complex butterfly reversal or submission, but the basic butter fly sweep/hook has countless uses.

Actually butterfly guard is better than closed guard for self defense.

Closed guard is good for sport bjj on mats .

I disagree

Close guard is great as long as your fighting 1v1... specially if your striking skills suck...

At first I agreed and thought this was a dumb question. Then I realized it's actually a very smart question. And the answer, beyond any shadow of a doubt, is that butterfly guard is one of the best guards imaginable for MMA.

But what you have to understand is that the entire difficulty with butterfly guard is not the effectiveness of the position. The butterfly guard position is extremely effective. The problem with the butterfly guard is that it's not an easy position to enter into as the bottom player. A skilled opponent isn't going to let you have butterfly guard with upper body grips. That's the entire difficulty with the position -- actually getting into it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that butterfly guard isn't like closed guard where you can chill out. Butterfly guard is an attacking position. Once you have your grips, you attack immediately and explosively. Alternatively, a lot of "non-BJJ guys" like Robbie Lawler are extremely effective at using the butterfly guard to simply create distance and get to their feet.

And then of course you have a badass like Demian Maia who literally TKO'd his opponent with a butterfly guard sweep. Watch from 3:40 (Again, the sweep is beautiful, but it's the entry into the position which is where the real work came in.)

What’s with the underhook position that damages the shoulder? I had mine tweaked just doing a sweep learning a new technique and my shoulder just had this sharp pain. It’s almost like a shoulder lock.

It's good for sweeps and coming up into a single leg or a a double leg. I also like to use it to pop them up and get around their side where you catch the straight armbar, the type where you trap the wrist between your shoulder and neck.

Agree with you except the Maia thing. That looked more like a freak injury IMO.

I use something like this but I teyto rock them forward first to get their weight right on top of me and then kick them up and shoot right around the side. It's a solid move you can hit even if they're expecting it.

If you want any further proof of the effectiveness of the butterfly guard, Sung Jong Lee used it yesterday beautifully against Tonon at 6:50 to get to his feet:

Is this a serious reply?
Yes it is serious.

Think about it.

Keeping your opponent attached to you is actually counter productive and against one of the principals of jiu jitsu. It is similar like hugging someone when you are hugging someone from bottom mount or bottom side control.

The reason why your opponent is raining punches on you is because you are keeping inside your legs.

With the butterfly guard, you will sweep or stand up if your opponent stays on his knees. If i choose to stand up, I will knee him on the head while he is still on his knees .
If he stands upt during butterfly guard, then i will knee reap to heelhook.

Yes it is serious.

Think about it.

Keeping your opponent attached to you is actually counter productive and against one of the principals of jiu jitsu. It is similar like hugging someone when you are hugging someone from bottom mount or bottom side control.

The reason why your opponent is raining punches on you is because you are keeping inside your legs.

With the butterfly guard, you will sweep or stand up if your opponent stays on his knees. If i choose to stand up, I will knee him on the head while he is still on his knees .
If he stands upt during butterfly guard, then i will knee reap to heelhook.

On the contrary, if you break their posture in close guard they can no longer strike, which means the grappler has more time, and is relatively safe to work on a sweep or submission. Wouldnt this be considered good for self defence?

I disagree

Close guard is great as long as your fighting 1v1... specially if your striking skills suck...

I like the last video, where the guy starts eye gouging and tried head butts, but still got choked. Should be shown to all the people claiming shit like this will save them from a well sinked in choke.

Back