Does butterfly guard have any self defense use?

some fights just forced on you by crazy or aggressive people haha. i could just be walking down the street and someone tries to rob me. im not training in the gym to get up and run, my training partners would hate me Lol but in street scenarios that is my first thing I do.

so some one pull a knife at you and you run? or someone is trying to rob you and you run? your training for that? you dont need o train for that and no one is talking about a robbery, we are tlaking about a fight, not even a brawl, not all fights end up being brawls, and theres absolutely nothing wrong with fighting soeone in certain situations.

jesus I swear I keep hering this crap, no, you dont always have to run, not all fights are to the death and not all fights re about not gettting rob, fighting off someone with a knife is quite stupid, but again, that is not the topic of this thread we are animals, males people fight for a lot of shit, and 99% of those fight dont end up with someone in a grave. And I live in a 3rd world shithole....

In a mma type situation ( you have a guard and punches are allowed) there are two common ways to avoid danger:

Controlling their poster by breaking it down with your arms and legs. ( closed guard)

Removing their base by constantly having their weight realigned. ( butterfly)

Option two offers a safer way to not get hit but you are more likely to get your guard passed.

Option one is more likely to get hit in the mouth but easier to stall.

I prefer option 2.

im not changing the topic, I posted 3 vids of guys using close guard effectively on streets fights, one of them showing a dude trying to eye gouge his way out of it.. where did the triangle came from? close guard, yet you say close guard is for bjj sport matches....so plese explain to me whats your logic, triangles are good but close guard sucks? hell you actually said you rather not teach close guard? that is sincerly blasphemy, specially when you support your opinion with" you can get hit bit and eye gouge" even with posture broken (what is the first thing you are supposed to do in a fighting scenario, break posture)
You can also find 3 videos of people using karate to win street fights if you look.

He’s saying butterfly guard is better than closed guard, not that triangles don’t work. (I triangle people from butterfly guard, don’t you?) His argument isn’t invalidated by showing examples of when closed guard did work because he’s saying that butterfly is usually a better option, not that closed guard NEVER works. Just like how karate can work but it’s not usually the best option.

We’ve all seen people get TKOd while having closed guard. Look at the early UFCs where people like Kerr started head butting their way through a bevy of BJJ guys. Or how many times we’ve seen people win by elbow TKO from there. Butterfly guard just isn’t vulnerable in the same way as closed guard to certain tactics because it actively punishes forward pressure in a way that closed guard does not. Without forward pressure, the butterfly guard player can simply create distance and stand up. Every time the top person attempts to apply pressure to prevent the standup so they can begin striking, they expose themselves to hook sweeps, leglock entries, guillotines, and other nastiness. This is all because the butterfly guard keeps bone-frames between you and them (your shins and femurs) but unlike the knee shield/Z half guard or scissor full guard it does not involve wrapping your legs around the top person or their legs. Therefore, there’s no option to stop the standup with Turk / SNR methods and it’s harder just to grab your leg and pressure you back down (and if they do, it gives you the hook sweep or various submissions). Almost all methods that do help stop the standup without significant immediate submission exposure involve using arms on legs and therefore do not permit striking.

Closed guard is for when you’re facing another grappler in a grappling match and want to make life very difficult for them while you work on submissions and sweeps. Its chief advantage for fights is that it is harder to disengage from for the top person. So if you just want to keep it as a ground grappling match, and you think your opponent is likely to hand you a submission before doing significant damage with their head, elbows, or hands, it makes sense. If you are afraid of their standing striking and don’t think you can outrun them or take them down, it makes sense.

But I’d almost always prefer butterfly because the chief concern for self-defense or MMA is to minimize time spent on bottom and to minimize damage taken on bottom. Butterfly is strictly better for those closely intertwined objectives.

I would be willing to bet quite a lot of money that the % of people TKOd in MMA in full/closed guard is much higher than the % of people who were using butterfly.

That said, for MMA, butterfly only makes sense if you have good takedowns and/or good striking (but if you don’t have anything except ground, you shouldn’t be fighting). For self-defense, it only makes sense if you have good running speed and cardio (or takedowns/striking).

To reiterate / TL;DR:
If you’re just happy that you got to the ground so now you can work submissions and you want to keep your opponent there above all else because you’d get knocked out or taken down again immediately from standing then absolutely! Closed guard is better.

If you want to minimize your chances of getting held down and hit in the face with various hard bony parts of your foe’s body, and you have decent striking or takedowns/throws or running speed, butterfly is better.

Last edited:
You can also find 3 videos of people using karate to win street fights if you look.

He’s saying butterfly guard is better than closed guard, not that triangles don’t work. (I triangle people from butterfly guard, don’t you?) His argument isn’t invalidated by showing examples of when closed guard did work because he’s saying that butterfly is usually a better option, not that closed guard NEVER works. Just like how karate can work but it’s not usually the best option.

We’ve all seen people get TKOd while having closed guard. Look at the early UFCs where people like Kerr started head butting their way through a bevy of BJJ guys. Or how many times we’ve seen people win by elbow TKO from there. Butterfly guard just isn’t vulnerable in the same way as closed guard to certain tactics because it actively punishes forward pressure in a way that closed guard does not. Without forward pressure, the butterfly guard player can simply create distance and stand up. Every time the top person attempts to apply pressure to prevent the standup so they can begin striking, they expose themselves to hook sweeps, leglock entries, guillotines, and other nastiness. This is all because the butterfly guard keeps bone-frames between you and them (your shins and femurs) but unlike the knee shield/Z half guard or scissor full guard it does not involve wrapping your legs around the top person or their legs. Therefore, there’s no option to stop the standup with Turk / SNR methods and it’s harder just to grab your leg and pressure you back down (and if they do, it gives you the hook sweep or various submissions). Almost all methods that do help stop the standup without significant immediate submission exposure involve using arms on legs and therefore do not permit striking.

Closed guard is for when you’re facing another grappler in a grappling match and want to make life very difficult for them while you work on submissions and sweeps. Its chief advantage for fights is that it is harder to disengage from for the top person. So if you just want to keep it as a ground grappling match, and you think your opponent is likely to hand you a submission before doing significant damage with their head, elbows, or hands, it makes sense. If you are afraid of their standing striking and don’t think you can outrun them or take them down, it makes sense.

But I’d almost always prefer butterfly because the chief concern for self-defense or MMA is to minimize time spent on bottom and to minimize damage taken on bottom. Butterfly is strictly better for those closely intertwined objectives.

I would be willing to bet quite a lot of money that the % of people TKOd in MMA in full/closed guard is much higher than the % of people who were using butterfly.

That said, for MMA, butterfly only makes sense if you have good takedowns and/or good striking (but if you don’t have anything except ground, you shouldn’t be fighting). For self-defense, it only makes sense if you have good running speed and cardio (or takedowns/striking).

To reiterate / TL;DR:
If you’re just happy that you got to the ground so now you can work submissions and you want to keep your opponent there above all else because you’d get knocked out or taken down again immediately from standing then absolutely! Closed guard is better.

If you want to minimize your chances of getting held down and hit in the face with various hard bony parts of your foe’s body, and you have decent striking or takedowns/throws or running speed, butterfly is better.

If he would of said butterfly is betttwe Than close guard I wouldn’t have a problem with it, he literally said close guard is just bad for sd (we are not taking about facing a trained fighters here, just SF... just on the matter Fabio gourgel did quite well against that monster that was keer, in his first mma fight, with something like 30 kilos less, in a full NHB fight, fighting from close guard) and it’s only for sport bjj matches, then he says he rather not teach close guard at all... that is not a comparation between 2 guards, that’s a dismiss of one of them, Which is totally moronic, he goes to say why it sucks (you can get hit And even with broken posture you can get bitten and eye gouge and shit) to which I replay showing vids of people using close guard effectively on the sf, not just bjj matches.

By the way, I do think butterfly is better but I dont teach my students that close guard is just fake...

And what do you mean there’s vids of people using karate? od Course punches and kicks work, who ever said karate doesn’t work?

Last edited:
males people fight for a lot of shit, and 99% of those fight dont end up with someone in a grave. And I live in a 3rd world shithole....

Dunno, if you aren't poor and stupid fights seem super rare.

Dunno, if you aren't poor and stupid fights seem super rare.

Depends where you live... you think people behave the same in Switzerland than in Brazil? Or the US? Did you skip school all together? Did you not go through puberty teen and early years of adulthood? Fights happen and specially as a kid, knowing how to fight can make your life much better then being someone who cannot stand by himself. Ever hear about getting bullied? Well if you know go to fight, you will probably never go through that...

what are you going to say to your kid... "boy if you ever get bully at school, just pussy out, lower your head, be invisible, so you dont do something stupid and inmature and fight" thats how you should behave, on top, im going to get you into martial arts, so you can pussy out better....

Last edited:
Fights happen and specially as a kid..

If you are an adult you won't ever be a kid again. BTW view most of the self-defense BJJ crowd as really training to fight their child hood bully.
Anyway not being weird is the best protection against bullying you can't fight everyone? Do you tell your son to beat up girls if they try bullying him?

If you are an adult you won't ever be a kid again. BTW view most of the self-defense BJJ crowd as really training to fight their child hood bully.
Anyway not being weird is the best protection against bullying you can't fight everyone? Do you tell your son to beat up girls if they try bullying him?

Whos talking about me? Since when bjj is only for adults? Just in case I meant kids as young people not literally kids...

So, basically you have found the solution to stop bullying around the globe, just don’t be a weirdo... got you...

Do you think training martial arts is to learn to fight chicks?

Classic BJJ Rage, LOL!

Look up anecdotal evidence....

Just because you can post 3 short edited clips of a conclusion you want to be true and prove your argument doesn't establish the statistical reality.

Then when called out "Rage" changes the argument to avoid having to see he's arguing about a personal choice of an instructor with way more experience and probably a much better practitioner.

Been down this road before, but the tell tail sign he's more emotionally invested in being right than understanding other points of view(feel bad for his students) is the spelling and grammar mistakes he makes the more worked up he gets. I'm surprised he didn't already blame it on his phone or speaking another language yet which still exposes pointless anxiety.

Better solution to all this?

Never get taken to the ground!

I "prefer" to be getting up as soon as possible so my feet controlling Nage's hips "seems" to me to improving my position to advance to my final goal.

See how diplomatic I can be?

LOL!

Drill the shit out of Kuchiki and Morote Gari defense!

Train freestyle Judo!

Classic BJJ Rage, LOL!

Look up anecdotal evidence....

Just because you can post 3 short edited clips of a conclusion you want to be true and prove your argument doesn't establish the statistical reality.

Then when called out "Rage" changes the argument to avoid having to see he's arguing about a personal choice of an instructor with way more experience and probably a much better practitioner.

Been down this road before, but the tell tail sign he's more emotionally invested in being right than understanding other points of view(feel bad for his students) is the spelling and grammar mistakes he makes the more worked up he gets. I'm surprised he didn't already blame it on his phone or speaking another language yet which still exposes pointless anxiety.

Better solution to all this?

Never get taken to the ground!

I "prefer" to be getting up as soon as possible so my feet controlling Nage's hips "seems" to me to improving my position to advance to my final goal.

See how diplomatic I can be?

LOL!

Drill the shit out of Kuchiki and Morote Gari defense!

Train freestyle Judo!

my spelling gramars are mostly done because 1) english inst my frist langague, 2) im typing on my phone and I have 3 diccionaries in there.. there I did it.

I have no problem with people chosing other routes, I have problems with people saying things dont work, which are proven they do.

So you are saying the vids dont reflect what happened, since you said they are edited, well, pleae tell us your input on what happened in reality in those vids.

So, your opinion on whether close guard work or doesnt in street fights is, drill tdd? mmmm thats something to think about .

in mma i always preferred starting in closed guard and putting one butterfly hook in, i used it in pretty much all of my fights and didnt take much damage at all on bottom, in 9 fights i only got hit in the face on bottom a couple times

if im facing a righty, when he would throw a punch i would overhook HIS right arm, and throw MY right leg hook in, elevate a hair and use my other leg to block

this was as low level mma as it gets, but it worked every single time someone was trying to hit me

To reiterate / TL;DR:

I am late to this convo but I will say that I have always loved Joe Lauzon's use of the butterfly guard in MMA and have been preaching for more MMA fighters to use it for many of the reasons you've stated. Joe throughout his career has used it so well. It does keep you fairly safe if you use it properly and it's a good offensive guard that gives the person on top a lot of things to worry about. People will say that you can get hit in the back of the head but in my (admittedly limited) experience with MMA, the strikes don't end up being very hard, and shots reigning down on you from closed guard can feel much more powerful.

I know this is a thread about self defense but MMA is one of the closest things we have to examine grappling techniques through that lense of "real life" and honestly I'd like to start seeing less closed guard in MMA and more proactive work to get on top via butterfly, half-butterfly, etc. I think closed guard is great if you need to be there or if you are good at using it but I see many fighters just sort of camping there and I thought by 2019 that wouldn't be the case anymore.

Yes, it has a self defence use.... if you get there. I wouldn't go out of my way where I'm forcing butterfly guard though

I am late to this convo but I will say that I have always loved Joe Lauzon's use of the butterfly guard in MMA and have been preaching for more MMA fighters to use it for many of the reasons you've stated. Joe throughout his career has used it so well. It does keep you fairly safe if you use it properly and it's a good offensive guard that gives the person on top a lot of things to worry about. People will say that you can get hit in the back of the head but in my (admittedly limited) experience with MMA, the strikes don't end up being very hard, and shots reigning down on you from closed guard can feel much more powerful.

I know this is a thread about self defense but MMA is one of the closest things we have to examine grappling techniques through that lense of "real life" and honestly I'd like to start seeing less closed guard in MMA and more proactive work to get on top via butterfly, half-butterfly, etc. I think closed guard is great if you need to be there or if you are good at using it but I see many fighters just sort of camping there and I thought by 2019 that wouldn't be the case anymore.
But camping in closed guard is a legit strategy. Volkov basically wore down Werdum by camping out in closed guard.

Yes it viable. Yes ive had to use it in an mma and SD situation.
Rewatch miguel torres and MM. Torres use of the butterfly is brilliant. The weeks leading up to the fight its exactly what he had be teaching in class. Still think he was robbed

The difference between SD and MMA is that the ref is not allowed to head stomp you while in closed guard in MMA.

I will say this.

Closed guard by nature is a position that allows people to be lazy. If punched are suddenly thrown it can change the way a closed guard player fights.

Butterfly guard by nature is a position that has no chill. Constant fights for upper body control from day one.

Because of that the transition from butterfly guard with no strikes to butterfly guard with strikes is not huge.

It’s great for strikes but in a “fight” winding up in guard is what happens after things go wrong. A lot of things. If you’re going to be in a bad position, butterfly guard is less terrible than closed guard. Easier to stand up too.

Come on guys. John Wick solved the "BJJ in self-defense" question twice already (soon to be a third time, 2019!). Open guard, entangle, draw sidearm, shoot his buddies, and then him. Duh.

Come on guys. John Wick solved the "BJJ in self-defense" question twice already (soon to be a third time, 2019!). Open guard, entangle, draw sidearm, shoot his buddies, and then him. Duh.

A lot of old schoolers underestimate the entangle 50/50 and shoot them in the face combo.

This a good example of the closed guard not working.

Back