Does Cross training grappling take away from striking development?

DoggyDogWorld

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Do you guys think that training BJJ, Luta Livre, No gi or wrestling takes away from becoming a good striker?

I try training Muay Thai 5x a week, BJJ around the same amount. Although I'm trying to become the best striker I can be. If I start training more during my lunch hours, would that be better for me?

To some degree, yes it will. I think the biggest factors influencing your progress as a result of training both Muay Thai and grappling are fatigue(physical and mental), recovery, and the fact that you are going to be learning so many different movement patterns. There is nothing wrong with training both, but If your goal is to be the best striker you can be, stick to standup.

No. Just stay away from MMA gyms. When you train Muay Thai, you do pure MT, and the same with the grappling.

No. Just stay away from MMA gyms. When you train Muay Thai, you do pure MT, and the same with the grappling.

That's exactly what I do. I roll at at BJJ gym and train striking at another gym.

How many hours should I spend on my striking a week to get good? And can I do that same amount grappling?

To some degree, yes it will. I think the biggest factors influencing your progress as a result of training both Muay Thai and grappling are fatigue(physical and mental), recovery, and the fact that you are going to be learning so many different movement patterns. There is nothing wrong with training both, but If your goal is to be the best striker you can be, stick to standup.

Keep in mind, I did Muay Thai and bjj throughout much of my high school years and early college years. It's not like I'm a complete neophyte.

I would say minimum 3 hours total.
How many hours to seriously develop striking capability though? If I did around 10+ a week, would that be optimal for serious improvements?

Would 5x a week cut it as well?

How many hours to seriously develop striking capability though? If I did around 10+ a week, would that be optimal for serious improvements?

Would 5x a week cut it as well?

You will definately be a competent striker with 3 hours of effective training each week. That's 3 hours of just drilling the basics and sparring. You run the risk of weakened immune system if you overtrain. Will catch colds more frequently etc. And you shouldn't train with colds.

I have done boxing + TKD one hour in between 3 times a week and found it counter productive healthwise.

Do you guys think that training BJJ, Luta Livre, No gi or wrestling takes away from becoming a good striker?

I try training Muay Thai 5x a week, BJJ around the same amount. Although I'm trying to become the best striker I can be. If I start training more during my lunch hours, would that be better for me?
If your goal is being the best striker you can be, then you should be spending most of your time on your Muay Thai. Boxing is mandatory for being a great striker. Your bjj could help alot with getting back up off the ground. Wrestling is the discipline to learn for controlling whether or not the fight takes place standing up though. Hard to find wrestling gyms if you aren't in highschool or college.

You will definately be a competent striker with 3 hours of effective training each week. That's 3 hours of just drilling the basics and sparring. You run the risk of weakened immune system if you overtrain. Will catch colds more frequently etc. And you shouldn't train with colds.

I have done boxing + TKD one hour in between 3 times a week and found it counter productive healthwise.
Maybe you're just soft, with a weak immune system

Pro fighters train striking double digit hours and don't get sick

Hey, I have done a very little bit of grappling here and there just for fun but all I know is muay thai. I have been around lots of high level grapplers and MMA fighters for years, could have trained it, but never had an interest as Muay Thai is my thing. That being said, when I train with guys that fight MMA or grapple, they do some things a bit differently. I think it could potentially make you a better striker, not so much in the striking part of the game, but in the clinch part of the game, it will allow you to "think outside the box". The MMA guys and guys with wrestling experience do some weird moves on me sometimes, that could be considered a grey area in muay thai, but the techinques they do, do work. I would like to learn a little roman wrestling to help my clinch. Since all martial arts are connected, I think it would make you better overall.

A comparison I could make would be, if you took a guy that was high level Escrima, I bet it would help him in some way or another in his MMA striking as well.

That's exactly what I do. I roll at at BJJ gym and train striking at another gym.

How many hours should I spend on my striking a week to get good? And can I do that same amount grappling?
If you have MMA as the end goal then you need to find a MMA gym to blend the systems; Both striking and grappling have huge holes that has to adapt when it comes to MMA. It may seem minuscule, but its a huge problem.

But if you're just doing it for fun and don't want to compete in MMA its fine.

I know when I do a lot of one thing or the other - a lot of jiu jitsu or a lot of striking - I eventually get disgruntled. It's nice to have balance and shake things up.

I love training, so I try to do as much as possible:
MMA - 1x per week
Striking - 4-5x per week
Grappling - 3-4x per week
Strength & conditioning - 2-3x per week

That's just me though, and obviously everyone is different, spending more or less time on stuff. I dial it down or up when I need to.

Recently I had a kickboxing match, so eventually I cut my time off from doing jiu jitsu so I could focus on the sport I was about to compete in. Now that that's over, I'm back to working on everything at a high level (and I'm really happy because I missed grappling, which is funny for me because I love striking the most).

However, if your goal is to continue to improve at striking, then you should more time focusing on that. Unless you're training for an MMA fight or a jiu jitsu tournament, I would minimize time spent on grappling, personally.

Do what makes your heart happy, as they say.

Back