Does it bug you history won't remember you?

I remember reading a psychologist commenting on that. Most view the future, as in 50 years from now, negatively because chances are the person will not be in it. I don't know how true that is! but thought it potentially interesting.

Having done my family tree, I've come to learn that little of a persons life tends to be remembered. Sometimes though short biographies will be written about a person and family. Other times a person will write a life long diary, which is kept and passed down though the family or even turned over to a historical facility. The LDS church has all kinds of detailed records on peoples lives. I've always found those fascinating.

Think about it. We are just a blip. Time will eventually run out for us. Unless we are Einstein, or Babe Ruth or a very bad person like Hitler. We won't be remembered in a 100 years or less.

Is it our ego that makes us annoyed about this? (For ppl who do) And do you care? Its strange to me that one time I won't be here and it'll be all over.

Anyways.

I use to think it was pretty interesting that one day each of us will be just as dead as Julius Caesar is today, but no one will remember us. It really does make you wonder what the purpose of life is. Oh, well. Just enjoy it while you can.

i have no qualms about not being remembered at all.

i dont think ive done much to be remembered to start off with.

If you continue your family tree you will always be remembered in some way

Just gotta make sure you have a son and he has a son and he has a son and so on

No thats only temporary. Thats facts are you will be forgotten in a generation or two. Don't fool yourself into thinking your family will be fondly talking about you over thanksgiving in the year 2117. No you will be dead and if your lucky your grandkids might be alive still who will be the last remaining people who know who you are. Once they go so does your legacy. The only people who have a shot of extending their memory for a little while longer are famous people or if you can somehow setup a dynasty of wealth like old money. Even then they just a footnote in a history book or wiki page.

Not at all.

The Lord Jesus is my reward and I've done good by my Family, Friends & my country.

Last edited:
In 5 billion years, it's doubtful anyone will even remember Earth. So, we're all in the same boat.

I have my name in the hallways of my High School for Sports accomplishments. I’m no Al Buddy but I have a few records that have stood for 27years.

With the open source community as lively as it is you can contribute to something and have your name propitiated on that software for it's entire life. Create a worthwhile algorithm and you can forever be remembered in your field.

If you get in at the very inception of a field you can discover the low hanging fruit and get your name on something elementary level that's taught to everyone in your field.

No thats only temporary. Thats facts are you will be forgotten in a generation or two. Don't fool yourself into thinking your family will be fondly talking about you over thanksgiving in the year 2117. No you will be dead and if your lucky your grandkids might be alive still who will be the last remaining people who know who you are. Once they go so does your legacy. The only people who have a shot of extending their memory for a little while longer are famous people or if you can somehow setup a dynasty of wealth like old money. Even then they just a footnote in a history book or wiki page.

Yep.

I know my parents, my grand parents, and my great grandparents as they were alive when I was young and I spent a lot of time around them. I don't even remember the names of my great great parents and I only know very little details about them. The only detail I remember from my great great grandparents is that they lived in Northern Ireland and my great great grandfather worked on building the Titanic. That is only going 100 years back and the memories of my family tree are essentially dead. Maybe my Dad would remember more than me but eh. Then if I have kids, they won't know shit about my grandparents as they are already dead. Maybe with the internet people will have better records of generations, but it would be foolish to think the average person will be remembered in history.

Op brought up babe ruth and Albert Einstein. To me its all relative. How many people in the general populace
Know who Jim Thorpe or max Planck are?

I will go down in history as a Sherdogger silver belt that nailed Boise dimes, benched teh 275, and shamed manlets

If you continue your family tree you will always be remembered in some way

Just gotta make sure you have a son and he has a son and he has a son and so on
Do you remember your great great great great grand daddy?

TS, the most you can hope for is your name to be remembered. No one will know or care what you've done or how you look like.

Well, not necessarily true in today's age. You can always post videos on youtube about your life and bam YOU ARE IMMORTALIZED!!!

YW TS.

/thread

It doesn't bother me. People are already forgetting about me.

Think about it. We are just a blip. Time will eventually run out for us. Unless we are Einstein, or Babe Ruth or a very bad person like Hitler. We won't be remembered in a 100 years or less.

Is it our ego that makes us annoyed about this? (For ppl who do) And do you care? Its strange to me that one time I won't be here and it'll be all over.

Anyways.

Wait long enough and there won't be anything around to remember anyone.

Nope. it'll be a shock if i've left any kind of mark at all.

Back