Does Lennox Lewis have the greatest HW resume?

My top 3 is Ali, Louis and Lewis. In that order. Lewis and Louis are a coin toss, IMO.

Yeah. I don't quite consider Louis/Lewis a coin toss, but that's how I have it. People have warmed to Lewis with time (I still have some English friends who don't really think a whole lot of him, though, which I find strange).

Yeah. I don't quite consider Louis/Lewis a coin toss, but that's how I have it. People have warmed to Lewis with time (I still have some English friends who don't really think a whole lot of him, though, which I find strange).
Some people never forgave him for representing Canada at the olympics I guess. And some Canadians are probably still bitter he represented England as a pro.

the brits never liked him, from early on they thought he was a fake brit because he wasn't really from there, I know he lived in canada for a time. but ya, they hated him, they wished bruno coulda beaten him when they fought and bruno played it up with trunks that said "true brit"

Some people never forgave him for representing Canada at the olympics I guess. And some Canadians are probably still bitter he represented England as a pro.

Ha, regarding the latter, I'm still a tad bitter (not really, but a little). He was built as a boxer in Canada, so he more or less had to represent us.

personally, i never liked his arrogance, especially before he proved himself, i wasn't sold on him until his career was just about over, he had some absolutely shitty performances before he won the title and he was running around saying he was better than everyone else,meanwhile, i was scratching my head and wondering why the other guys avoided him, which they surely did.

the brits never liked him, from early on they thought he was a fake brit because he wasn't really from there, I know he lived in canada for a time. but ya, they hated him, they wished bruno coulda beaten him when they fought and bruno played it up with trunks that said "true brit"

Yeah, it's a little weird.

I have Lewis #1. Klitschko #2. Ali #3.

Yeah, it's a little weird.
kinda human though too, jesus said a prophet has no honor in his own home, it's true. My family and friends have never understood or gotten just how talented i was in certain things, i'm just their dumb ass brother or friend, it's true for anyone i think.

Just a couple of years ago, I got laughed at for ranking Lewis as high as I did.

I disagree. Like every other good heavyweight champ he fought the best guys available to him from a very small pool of accomplished fighters. Some of those guys, like Tucker and Ruddock, were badly shop worn from drugs and getting beaten up by Tyson already. Others - Morrison and Grant, for instance -weren’t that great to begin with. The Golotas, McCalls, Rahmans aren’t really any better than Witherspoon or James Smith or Carl Williams.

But I’m not knocking him. I really liked Lennox Lewis. He never ducked anyone, and that Klitchko win was special. If you could drop him into the 1970s I think he’d have beaten everyone from that era.
Tyson's resume is pretty weak tbh...

Its just HW as a whole is weak all time, so he usually slides into the 9-12 spot

Ali #1

Holyfield #2 if you're just looking at who they fought. But Lewis is a solid choice for #2 if you're just looking at wins.
I have Holyfield in my top ten tbh. I know he was inconsistent but he has nice wins.

Since we are doing this...

1. Ali.
2. Louis
3. Lewis
4. Holmes
5. Foreman
6. Rocky
7. Jack Johnson
8. Frazier
9. Evander
10. Liston

kinda human though too, jesus said a prophet has no honor in his own home, it's true. My family and friends have never understood or gotten just how talented i was in certain things, i'm just their dumb ass brother or friend, it's true for anyone i think.

He's not really remembered a whole lot in Canada outside of the Tyson fight, as well. He's a man without a country to an extent.

Just a couple of years ago, I got laughed at for ranking Lewis as high as I did.

Already Mayweather and Pacquiao are being remembered more fondly. It happens with all great fighters it seems. The farther removed from their career, the better they're remembered.

He's not really remembered a whole lot in Canada outside of the Tyson fight, as well. He's a man without a country to an extent.
very few of the great heavyweights were even liked, let alone loved in their primes. Ali was absolutely hounded, Dempsey and Tyson were too, it's only after that people look back after they practically ruin them and say "he wasn't so bad was he?". It is wierd.

You left out Holyfield. Lewis beat everyone of his generation, can't ask for more.

And unofficially he beat him twice. The draw was a disgraceful decision, and he arguably won that fight clearer than the 2nd

Lewis was champion throughout a strong era so has defenses over very strong contenders and the fact he avenged his defeats does alot for his record imo. I also think H2H he fares very well against other greats.

I have him top 5.

What if Lewis beat Bowe, '96 Tyson, Moorer, Ruiz, Byrd, Wlad, and Rahman and McCall the first time, and retired undefeated?

He'd probably be top 3.

youre right here. it was more the arrogance thing than the canadian thing. same reason we never really liked Haye or audley Harrisson. People loved ricky hatton cos he came across as one of the lads

The brits claimed him when he had earned the right to call himself the best.

Back