Does Lomachenko remind anyone else of Calzaghe?

You know Lomachenko is the same size as Danny Devito, right?

Lomachenko has 8 inches on Danny Devito. And Dwayne has 8 inches on Loma (I mean height, not something else).

Plus Dwayne outweighs him probably by 120 pounds. But Loma is a better fighter.

There are some similarities. Both utilize footwork to augment their offense hopping in and out and laterally as well to work angles (although Loma puts more emphasis on the angles), both use speedy high volume punching. Main difference being what @Seano pointed out earlier on Khan's tendency to get cocky with the volume punching and ending up planting his feet to blast away giving his opponent a chance to time him and potentially soul-smash him into the void, whereas so far Loma maintains discipline and gets out of range before his opponent can try to time him and comes back in from a different angle to further keep his opponent off balance and frustrated.

There are some similarities. Both utilize footwork to augment their offense hopping in and out and laterally as well to work angles (although Loma puts more emphasis on the angles), both use speedy high volume punching. Main difference being what @Seano pointed out earlier on Khan's tendency to get cocky with the volume punching and ending up planting his feet to blast away giving his opponent a chance to time him and potentially soul-smash him into the void, whereas so far Loma maintains discipline and gets out of range before his opponent can try to time him and comes back in from a different angle to further keep his opponent off balance and frustrated.
Khan is a damn fine fighter, I don't care how negatively people want to look at it. He has poor fight IQ, which I mentioned and a poor chin, both disadvantages that you don't see in Lomachenko. But both guys are fast, use footwork to get in and out and land combos- BS that you guys see this as some out of left field comparison. Its not an insult.

Also take a look at Lomachenkos loss to Salido and compare it to the Peterson/Khan fight or even the Maidana fight.

You know Lomachenko is the same size as Danny Devito, right?

frank-reynolds-wrestlign.gif

Why? Throws tons of punches and is pretty slick when his mind is right. Khans a damn good boxer /fighter until he starts getting cocky.

They're both athletic, but Lomachenko is quite a bit better defensively and doesn't like to fight from the same range as Khan. Khan has overwhelming speed and is good from the outside, but he's very limited, otherwise, in a way that Lomachenko has not shown himself to be. Granted, Khan has faced better competition and has therefore had more opportunities to be exposed, but aside from being good athletes with strong amateur backgrounds, they simply don't fight all that similarly.

I will say that there did appear to be some similarities between the two if you just go by the Salido fight (as Lomachenko really didn't like being backed up and forced to fight on the inside in that fight and responded to a lot of what Salido was doing with holding and pushing his opponent off, just as Khan is like to do against pretty much any pressure fighter), but Lomachenko has changed a lot as a fighter since then.

They're both athletic, but Lomachenko is quite a bit better defensively and doesn't like to fight from the same range as Khan. Khan has overwhelming speed and is good from the outside, but he's very limited, otherwise, in a way that Lomachenko has not shown himself to be. Granted, Khan has faced better competition and has therefore had more opportunities to be exposed, but aside from being good athletes with strong amateur backgrounds, they simply don't fight all that similarly.
I think Khan is a good defensive boxer until he starts doing well. He was boxing up Canelo pretty good.

I think Khan is a good defensive boxer until he starts doing well. He was boxing uo Canelo pretty good.

I don't. I think his offense and speed generally shocks opposition to the point where they struggle to get off their own offense, but guys who are willing to punch with him always stand a good chance of catching him very clean. His chin isn't good, but it looks worse in large part because his defense isn't good to begin with.

I don't. I think his offense and speed generally shocks opposition to the point where they struggle to get off their own offense, but guys who are willing to punch with him always stand a good chance of catching him very clean. His chin isn't good, but it looks worse in large part because his defense isn't good to begin with.
See, I think you're only recalling Khan for his worst, which is easy enough to do. Against the right guys, Khan always looked pretty good. I think the same is true of Lomachenko.

I don't think they are that far apart, stylistically at all.

The question here wasn't who is better.

I will say that there did appear to be some similarities between the two if you just go by the Salido fight (as Lomachenko really didn't like being backed up and forced to fight on the inside in that fight and responded to a lot of what Salido was doing with holding and pushing his opponent off, just as Khan is like to do against pretty much any pressure fighter), but Lomachenko has changed a lot as a fighter since then.
Sorry, forgot to respond to this part.

I'm not sure there's any evidence Lomachenko has adjusted to what Salido brought to their fight. That seems to be an assumption everyone is making. He hasnt fought anyone who brought heat like that since.
I get it, he's a good flashy fighter but come on, he has what, 10 pro fights? He hasn't changed that dramatically. Not in the few years since that fight. His style was crafted in the amateurs. We won't know exactly how he's adjusted to that until someone gets past his offense like Salido did.

Honestly his adjustment to holding seems to be making faces at the ref. I haven't seen anything that makes me think he's improved there.

I can see how Loma's speed and in and out movement can remind of Khan. Chin and ring IQ put aside, I think Khan is more of a puncher, though, while Loma moves way better laterally and finds angles Khan doesn't.

See, I think you're only recalling Khan for his worst, which is easy enough to do. Against the right guys, Khan always looked pretty good. I think the same is true of Lomachenko.

I don't think they are that far apart, stylistically at all.

The question here wasn't who is better.

If we're just going by style, they do fight a fair bit differently. Again, Khan is a long-armed outside fighter with a ton of speed who loves to jump in and out with flurries. Lomachenko is a short-armed southpaw who generally prefers the front foot and gets most of his work done from right inside the pocket as he picks out advantageous angles to get his work done. You very well could be right about Lomachenko still struggling if he faces some genuinely good pressure fighters who like to rough him up, but even if that is the case, I don't see many similarities aside from both both being athletic and having strong amateur backgrounds.

If we're just going by style, they do fight a fair bit differently. Again, Khan is a long-armed outside fighter with a ton of speed who loves to jump in and out with flurries. Lomachenko is a short-armed southpaw who generally prefers the front foot and gets most of his work done from right inside the pocket as he picks out advantageous angles to get his work done. You very well could be right about Lomachenko still struggling if he faces some genuinely good pressure fighters who like to rough him up, but even if that is the case, I don't see many similarities aside from both both being athletic and having strong amateur backgrounds.
Well, no 2 fighters are spot on identical.

Obviously, but I don't think they have enough meaningful similarities to make the comparison worthwhile in any sense.

I don't see it either.

Khan doesn't have the footwork or angles that Loma has. Loma likes to be at midrange/closerange and to angle around and pick his shots. The KO he had on Martinez, for instance, is something I could never seen Khan doing, he simply doesn't have the footwork or balance necessary to catch his opponent like that. Khan is more of an outside/midrange fighter who uses his speed from the outside to disorient his opponent and then rapidfire combos once he shuffles in or once his opponent lets their guard down for a minute at midrange. Loma is much more active with creating openings to find his opponent with, and much better at moving laterally (Khan being more of a backward/forward fighter). Finally, Khan has a much more active jab too IMO, he flicks it out a lot, which I don't see much of from Loma. Finally, Khan's combos seem a bit more... robotic to me.

Also, while Loma's inside game is clearly his weakest point, it's still not as bad as Khans, Loma at least had some exchanges on the inside with GRJ, Khan would never do that. Khan's defense is much worse too, Loma has shown head movement, which Khan hasn't really shown much of and Loma doesn't plant his feet and get timed like Khan does.

I can see a bit of the Calzaghe comparisons, but not much.

I'm not sure there's any evidence Lomachenko has adjusted to what Salido brought to their fight. That seems to be an assumption everyone is making. He hasnt fought anyone who brought heat like that since.
I get it, he's a good flashy fighter but come on, he has what, 10 pro fights? He hasn't changed that dramatically. Not in the few years since that fight. His style was crafted in the amateurs. We won't know exactly how he's adjusted to that until someone gets past his offense like Salido did.
If we're talking about the Loma who fought Salido, I'd almost be inclined to say he reminds me a bit of a better Devon Alexander.

Lomachenko has definitely improved. His inside skills are still a weakness, but there's no way you don't see significant improvement, particularly in defense and punch placement. You're forgetting that Walters was a pretty good inside fighter with a good jab and power and he seemed pretty much useless in figuring out Loma.

Agreed. Khan is wide open when he lets his combos go and tends to come forward in straight lines. But Lomachenko is almost unhittable when he throws combos. BIG difference. Lomacheno doesn't just attack in straight lines like Khan. He also throws lots of feints to keep his opponent off balance, Khan on the other hand throws almost no feints. Lomachenko also has great head movement whilst Khan has virtually no head movement. The speed is similar but that's about it. I really can't believe that people are comparing the two, they are like apples and oranges.

If we're talking about the Loma who fought Salido, I'd almost be inclined to say he reminds me a bit of a better Devon Alexander.

Lomachenko has definitely improved. His inside skills are still a weakness, but there's no way you don't see significant improvement, particularly in defense and punch placement. You're forgetting that Walters was a pretty good inside fighter with a good jab and power and he seemed pretty much useless in figuring out Loma.
I think he's just fighting no hopers but has fans who ignore it.
Who was Walters really? A guy who KOd a couple of used up names well above their best weights?I think people like the guy so they see what they choose to see and have to silently agree to exaggerate everything about the guy to absurd, clownish levels.

I think fans should want to see a guy tested but it seems that fans are pretty content just to watch the Lomachenko show. You guys think Arum doesn't notice?

I actually thought about this for a minute, and I really can't think of any two top fighters that have basically identical styles. It's such an individualistic sport.

I actually thought about this for a minute, and I really can't think of any two top fighters that have basically identical styles. It's such an individualistic sport.
It would probably be easiest to find a few Brando Rios type fighters than good technical guys who fight the same.

Back