Does Rafa possess superhuman strength?

It's likely Rafa would look a lot better against Clark in a normal points match not some stupid sub-only metamoris event.
I agree. Sub only was also a newer thing at that time and my guess is Rafa thought his best way to win was getting onto the back and choke or armbar and his best way to get onto the back was the berimbolo. I thought the first half of the match was fine but Rafa refusing to just stand and try to pass was frustrating for the final 10 minutes. Especially since Clark got better and better at defending the berimbolo as the match progressed.

It seems likely that not passing was a predetermined strategy, Clark has one of the more dangerous guard in terms of submissions. Rafa had a ton to loss by getting tapped by Clark and little to gain by tapping him.

Somewhat tangential to the topic of Rafa in absolutes, but i was personally always kinda disappointed Caio Tera never tried his hand at the ADCC.

I suppose he figured that, since the lowest weight class offered was technically 1 or 2 weight classes above his usual competition weight, it didn't make cents to risk his brand to try to prove a point where most 'casuals' would not appreciate (or even be aware of) in case of successes nor excuse in case of failures. As someone who simply appreciates action and high level displays in contest though i'll always consider it a missed opportunity.

It's interesting to note that he's won no gi worlds 10 times, 10 years strait. To put that in perspective even guys like Felipe Pena or Yuri Simoes have only medaled one or two years (times two if you count double golds). It was appreciating that fact that really made me starting thinking 'what if', and it's interesting how focused he was on showing up every year, even though he started life as more or less a pretty much exclusively gi oriented guy. May hap not coincidentally, Bruno Malfacini has also not opted to try the ADCC (or No Gi worlds either, for that matter).

Perhaps it was his way of saying, 'i could do it'.

Somewhat tangential to the topic of Rafa in absolutes, but i was personally always kinda disappointed Caio Tera never tried his hand at the ADCC.

I suppose he figured that, since the lowest weight class offered was technically 1 or 2 weight classes above his usual competition weight, it didn't make cents to risk his brand to try to prove a point where most 'casuals' would not appreciate (or even be aware of) in case of successes nor excuse in case of failures. As someone who simply appreciates action and high level displays in contest though i'll always consider it a missed opportunity.

It's interesting to note that he's won no gi worlds 10 times, 10 years strait. To put that in perspective even guys like Felipe Pena or Yuri Simoes have only medaled one or two years (times two if you count double golds). It was appreciating that fact that really made me starting thinking 'what if', and it's interesting how focused he was on showing up every year, even though he started life as more or less a pretty much exclusively gi oriented guy. May hap not coincidentally, Bruno Malfacini has also not opted to try the ADCC (or No Gi worlds either, for that matter).

Perhaps it was his way of saying, 'i could do it'.
Good post.

I do remember Caio complained about never being invited to ADCC in 2013 and then so invited him and he declined. Needless to say he didn't get invited again and he would probably have to do the trials which he has never done. I just found out last year that ADCC doesn't really look outside of their events and sometimes the MMA world. Most of the guys that get invited to ADCC year after year are guys that have done their won or at least participated in their trials events at some point.

I think Caio Terra would have done very good at 66kg despite being undersized. I think he could've gotten on the podium or into the finals. It would have been really cool to see him against Rafa or Cobrinha there or even a rubber match with Jeff Glover.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back