Does Sean O'Malley really have a high ceiling?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I know he's got the whole pot smokin thing going and a cool fro but does anyone really see him going far skills wise? Even in his contender series fight he didn't look all that great and even in his last fight I wasn't all that impressed. He doesn't have a great base to work off of just has shown to be lengthy and unorthodox. I can't see him even making it into the top 15 but maybe I'm wrong.

Possible. And on an awesome card to gain exposure to the casual fan...

He dresses like Disco Stu and smokes weed, he provocative we can give him that. But you are correct he ain't exactly merking fools hardcore. We'll see though!

Andre soccermom almost took his leg off so ima say not incredibly high

Dudes another PVZ... a face who’s talent doesn’t match the marketing.

<DisgustingHHH>

Before his last fight, I thought the kid was a flash in the pan. In fact, I actively disliked him. The whole “hey, fuck you, I’m gonna host my own open workout” routine, etc, made me dislike him.

However, seeing him really overcome adversity in his last fight made me a fan. The kid faced the adversity that we want all young prospects to face. In his case, he accidentally injured himself to the point where he couldn’t stand up, and still tried to throw everything he had. When Andre took him down, Sean actively tried to put on some sort of offense, all while being in visible pain.

That, and his post fight interview, made me a fan.

Edit: another reason to consider that moment a highlight is the fact that we had a few members who had previously mentioned that the last time Sean faced adversity, he quit on the stool between rounds. This time, no such thing.

No. Way too much form over function with this goofball.
<DisgustingHHH>

It's all fun and games when you're beating up scrubs. His day of reckoning is coming soon.

They shoulda ben spending his marketing on zabit or yair. Stoner hippie kid fights... I gues he relates to 80 percent of americas school kids....

The kid is surrounded by talent thats guiding him and the best coaches ufc wants him. If he doesnt get to a title fight i wonder if theyl feel stuipid.

I see that O'Malley is getting a bunch of shit in here, but the guy is pretty talented and crazy long for the 135 lb division. He's only 23 years old and has some pretty polished striking, and seems to have a great work ethic and a good head on his shoulders. We also saw him battle through some serious adversity and still come out on top in his last fight. I think he's got legit potential to get near the top of the BW division, they just need to not rush him too fast. He's one of the youngest fighters in the division.

Before his last fight, I thought the kid was a flash in the pan. In fact, I actively disliked him. The whole “hey, fuck you, I’m gonna host my own open workout” routine, etc, made me dislike him.

However, seeing him really overcome adversity in his last fight made me a fan. The kid faced the adversity that we want all young prospects to face. In his case, he accidentally injured himself to the point where he couldn’t stand up, and still tried to throw everything he had. When Andre took him down, Sean actively tried to put on some sort of offense, all while being in visible pain.

That, and his post fight interview, made me a fan.

Edit: another reason to consider that moment a highlight is the fact that we had a few members who had previously mentioned that the last time Sean faced adversity, he quit on the stool between rounds. This time, no such thing.

I agree. I was a fan befor his last fight but seeing him still land strikes on that guy hopping on 1 leg sealed the deal. He's an entertaining striker with legit potential and heart. He told the ref "I don't tap" lol.

He's got a slick ground game too. Always going for subs.

Not a new shtick.

tumblr_n6l6f2PxSi1qc5j12o1_500.gif

He dresses like Disco Stu and smokes weed, he provocative we can give him that. But you are correct he ain't exactly merking fools hardcore. We'll see though!
Ya I like his shtick , Disco fever.
Not sure how it’s provocative though. It’s not like he promoting family values are something out side the media norm.
Dude is gritty fo sure . Fought on one leg and still came out a winner .
Will watch

Do we have any UFC Champions that openly smoke/drink?

Perhaps on occasion, but I found it interesting when Andre Ward posted this:Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 9.49.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 9.51.42 PM.png

He is good, but not good enough for a contender right now. I think Yan would beat him. But he is fun, give him a few years to polish his skills and we should see him headlining a fight night card, or UFC on ESPN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back