Does Striking improve Ground and Pound?

Universal Kombat

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
As the title implies, does it? Rarely have I seen grapplers throw powerful and efficient strikes from close range when clinched or on the ground. It may seem like they do, but uppon further inspection it looks like they use their wrestling to hold someone in a position where blocking ground and pound is difficult, they tend to finish the fight towards a TKO with volume instead of a few well placed powerful strikes, which leads to wrestling/grappling heavy fighters end with many decisions.

For instance, Mirko Crocop, Though not a grappler, he still uses quick explosive and striking technique to throw powerful blows from ground positions, whether top or bottom, or even when chest to chest from a clinch. I believe this is due to his high level striking background which has taught him to throw strikes without big wind ups, and from the clinch like any good striker can.

I liken it to Bruce Lee's one inch punch (a silly yet fair comparison) where the striker can use his striking knowledge and lack of wind up and telegraph, to garner efficient power from even the smallest movements.

Sometimes fighters do more damage from the bottom than the opponent can from the top. And most of these examples come from strikers vs grapplers.

Mousasi vs King Mo comes to mind.

This isn't a grappler vs striker who's better thread, just asking if you guys agree with my general assesment (that obviously doesn't apply to every fighter) that strikers can use their striking ability and body movement to get more out of their punches than grapplers can.

I do also understand that many grapplers/wrestlers don't want to wind up big punches because it's easy to unbalance yourself and lose position. But I'm referring to equally small quick strikes. I think the striker generates more power with them and is more efficient with them. Thoughts?

As the title implies, does it? Rarely have I seen grapplers throw powerful and efficient strikes from close range when clinched or on the ground. It may seem like they do, but uppon further inspection it looks like they use their wrestling to hold someone in a position where blocking ground and pound is difficult, they tend to finish the fight towards a TKO with volume instead of a few well placed powerful strikes, which leads to wrestling/grappling heavy fighters end with many decisions.

For instance, Mirko Crocop, Though not a grappler, he still uses quick explosive and striking technique to throw powerful blows from ground positions, whether top or bottom, or even when chest to chest from a clinch. I believe this is due to his high level striking background which has taught him to throw strikes without big wind ups, and from the clinch like any good striker can.

I liken it to Bruce Lee's one inch punch (a silly yet fair comparison) where the striker can use his striking knowledge and lack of wind up and telegraph, to garner efficient power from even the smallest movements.

Sometimes fighters do more damage from the bottom than the opponent can from the top. And most of these examples come from strikers vs grapplers.

Mousasi vs King Mo comes to mind.

This isn't a grappler vs striker who's better thread, just asking if you guys agree with my general assesment (that obviously doesn't apply to every fighter) that strikers can use their striking ability and body movement to get more out of their punches than grapplers can.

I do also understand that many grapplers/wrestlers don't want to wind up big punches because it's easy to unbalance yourself and lose position. But I'm referring to equally small quick strikes. I think the striker generates more power with them and is more efficient with them. Thoughts?

Isn't Fedor Emelianko a good example of a grappler with exceptional ground and pound? I don't know of anybody better and he has a grappling base.

I’ve always thought strikers gnp was much more dangerous than wrestlers.

People argue both sides to the knees and kicks to the head benefitting one party or the other, but I’ve always found wrestlers kneeing from the front headlock position way less devastating than a striker doing it

Imo, no.

Gnp is completely different from "regular" striking. Its for the most part dirty nasty hockey type strikes. Very intuitive, but after years of "learning " proper striking it works against you on gnp

Last edited:
i always thought silva had very accurate strikes from top when he would knock someone down. Vitor and Newton come to mind

Imo, no.

Gnp is complelt different from "regular" striking. Its for the most part dirty nasty hockey type strikes. Very intuitive, but after years of "learning " proper striking it works against you on gnp
stronger tendons and muscles used in striking. strikers hit harder in any position.

ben askrenhas some of the best gnp ever in mma id say him and khabiib are the best on the planet askren and ben will tell you his stand up is garbage

Imo, no.

Gnp is complelt different from "regular" striking. Its for the most part dirty nasty hockey type strikes. Very intuitive, but after years of "learning " proper striking it works against you on gnp

Well that's my point. That grapplers will resort to hockey type strikes, and strikers don't, while seemingly being more effective. The act of throwing a punch translates well even unto grappling.

Obviously if we're talking pure grappler vs pure striker, the striker probably would never get a punch off, but when talking about modern strikers who also grapple, it seems their striking is extremely dangerous at any range.

Gnp is part of MMA training, not striking.

I don't disagree there. I'm saying how it translates over.

i always thought silva had very accurate strikes from top when he would knock someone down. Vitor and Newton come to mind

Also check out Lyoto Machidas knockout of Thiago Silva, and Anderson's of Nate Marquardt. Pretty decent representations of what I'm arguing for.

ben askrenhas some of the best gnp ever in mma id say him and khabiib are the best on the planet askren and ben will tell you his stand up is garbage

They have the wrestling to put people in positions to unleash ground and pound, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have the best. It's not bad mind you, obviously effective, it's just very wild and "hockey like" as another player said. I've seen fighters get more out of well thought out, more calculated and aimed punches when it comes to ground and pound, so my whole angle is, could some of these fighters take something from a more methodical approach to ground and pound? As some stirkers seem to do.

Throwing a punch standing is a lot different than throwing a punch when you're grounded.

I could see how regular striking training would help your gnp in the knee on belly position or if you were standing over a grounded opponent.

But generating power when you're on both knees is a little different then generating power on your feet.

Well that's my point. That grapplers will resort to hockey type strikes, and strikers don't, while seemingly being more effective. The act of throwing a punch translates well even unto grappling.

Obviously if we're talking pure grappler vs pure striker, the striker probably would never get a punch off, but when talking about modern strikers who also grapple, it seems their striking is extremely dangerous at any range.

I don't disagree there. I'm saying how it translates over.

Also check out Lyoto Machidas knockout of Thiago Silva, and Anderson's of Nate Marquardt. Pretty decent representations of what I'm arguing for.

They have the wrestling to put people in positions to unleash ground and pound, but that doesn't necessarily mean they have the best. It's not bad mind you, obviously effective, it's just very wild and "hockey like" as another player said. I've seen fighters get more out of well thought out, more calculated and aimed punches when it comes to ground and pound, so my whole angle is, could some of these fighters take something from a more methodical approach to ground and pound? As some stirkers seem to do.
The problem with waiting for an opening to land a precision strike is that you're giving your opponent precious seconds to advance his position on the bottom. To counter his movement you are more than likely going to need both hands.

In my opinion it's far better to try to advance to mount and lock your opponent down before attempting to KO them. Yes you can take pop shots that present themselves during transitions, but I think you should save your heavy volley of gnp for the most dominant positions.

Something Khabib has mentioned before in youtube videos is that he brings his arm right back and swings from really far back in order to get more power into the shot, particularly because he is usually in side control, crucifix or a spiral ride - which means that he is not in as much risk of losing his opponent

Back