Does the heel hook need a new name?

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it does cause - the name is almost an allusion as to how to do it, incorrectly.

It's amazing but - even at the highest level - there's dudes that do these techniques wrong.

Remember that dude Ian Entwistle in the UFC?

Dude didn't actually know how to finish a heel hook.

His last fight - a loss, he put himself perfectly in the position time and again, but couldn't actually finish it.

I think a better name would be, the "Achilles Bend".
That would be similar to its sister lock, the "Achilles Crush" - which is called an achilles lock.

Primarily because - dudes try and torque the heel across their body - which is wrong.

It's finished via hooking around the heel, and then pulling it towards your head - thus bending the achilles; this then travels up the leg to the knee.

Okay - Achilles Bend sounds kind of lame compared to Heel Hook but - not being able to finish what is the most effective and efficient submission in a high level professional contest - is equally as lame.

I actually dig the name. You are hooking the heel and I think if it were called a heel twist or something like that then the name should change. I've thought of the hook less as hooking it and twisting across your body (the old finish) and more of just hooking it and holding it.

I've heard some Japanese grapplers call it a heel hold which I like.

i call it reaping the benefits aka knee bending shit

:confused:
I think it does cause - the name is almost an allusion as to how to do it, incorrectly.

It's amazing but - even at the highest level - there's dudes that do these techniques wrong.

His last fight - a loss, he put himself perfectly in the position time and again, but couldn't actually finish it.

That would be similar to its sister lock, the "Achilles Crush" - which is called an achilles lock.

Primarily because - dudes try and torque the heel across their body - which is wrong.

It's finished via hooking around the heel, and then pulling it towards your head - thus bending the achilles; this then travels up the leg to the knee.

Okay - Achilles Bend sounds kind of lame compared to Heel Hook but - not being able to finish what is the most effective and efficient submission in a high level professional contest - is equally as lame.

"the name is almost an allusion as to how to do it, incorrectly."
"It's finished via hooking around the heel...."

:confused:

I actually dig the name. You are hooking the heel and I think if it were called a heel twist or something like that then the name should change. I've thought of the hook less as hooking it and twisting across your body (the old finish) and more of just hooking it and holding it.

I've heard some Japanese grapplers call it a heel hold which I like.

I also like that - although technically it's more like a, "heel hug".

This video shows exactly how it should be finished.

Maybe even a, "heel bridge".

Leg bar? Foot bar? Although that sounds too much like a foot spa, which is a lot less painful and actually quite nice after a long day.

That's what old cacc used to call it leg bar

In vintage wrestling terminology the 'bar' referred to what limb(s) you were using to execute the technique.

Like a lot of original nomenclature, it's an analogy based on the tools people used, like metal bars people would use to put leverage into things (like breaking free rock faces).

So in this sense, people calling the classic knee hyperextension sub a 'kneebar' is actually a bit of a misnomer; at the same time, calling what people often call an 'armbar' today a 'leg bar' would funnily enough be etymologically coherent; since, after all, the primary hold and breaking action is coming from the hips and legs.

LMFAOOOOOOO who taught you to heel hook?

No, the name heel hook is just fine. There are various ways to finish it. But yeah, pulling on the achilles is not the way.

No, the name heel hook is just fine. There are various ways to finish it. But yeah, pulling on the achilles is not the way.

Various ways to finish it, huh?

There is, ONE WAY, to finish it.

The right way.

The point is - pressure in directed in line with the body, as per a bridging motion - not across the body.

Various ways to finish it, huh?

There is, ONE WAY, to finish it.

The right way.

The point is - pressure in directed in line with the body, as per a bridging motion - not across the body.

LMAOOOOOOO OMG who are you guy? There are various ways to finish EVERY sub. Again, who taught you to heel hook? Toes under the armpit, gable tight against the achilles, and twisting your core is also the "right" way to do it.

I learned to heel hook from Chris Herzog. Sambo guy. I also enjoyed a seminar with Igor Yakimov. Sambo guy. There's more than one way to skin a cat homie. It's more about torquing the heel than crushing the achilles if you're trying to attack the knee ligaments. If you're twisting up toward your head you're more likely to break the ankle.

Who taught you?

Back