Does this look like a good summer for movies or no?

When new movies are released that look interesting I add them to the constantly growing watch-list, but I don't generally give them any priority. And I prefer to watch movies at home so that keeps me away from the theatre most of the time.

Why do you think you don't enjoy the theater experience?

Especially if it's a big blockbuster kind of movie, you don't want the huge screen and state-of-the-art surround sound?

I have recently made it a priority to watch more films from this decade so I can be more informed on the state of modern film.

That sounds like a reasonable plan. I have been surprised in the past when there were certain important movies from recent years that you hadn't seen.

Because I don't think a Han Solo movie was needed / wanted, and I haven't liked the direction Star Wars has taken under Disney, so I'm hoping for some backlash to force a change up in the leadership at Lucasfilm.

It seems to me that you could also take a different approach:

Instead of hoping that Solo fails miserably, hope that it's actually a better film that you could've imagined and the Han Solo project that you never realized you needed until you saw it.

Why do you think you don't enjoy the theater experience?
other people lmao. I also like to choose when to start, when to pause for a bathroom break, when to take a longer break for tea, food, sleep etc. And I often rewind if I missed dialogue or didn't understand something.
Especially if it's a big blockbuster kind of movie, you don't want the huge screen and state-of-the-art surround sound?
I find my screen and surround sound at home to be sufficient.
Instead of hoping that Solo fails miserably, hope that it's actually a better film that you could've imagined and the Han Solo project that you never realized you needed until you saw it.
Nah, fuck Solo and fuck Lucasfilm.

I’m psyched for Infinty, Solo and Deadpool 2. I’m into Mission Impossible as well. The rest can suck a dick.

I know it almost sounds like a cliche and I'm hardly the one to yell out worse movie years but for real, this year looks a lot weaker than previous years. The summer seems to be dominated by Marvel movies and I did not care for Jurassic Park past the original one. I look forward to Sicario 2 the most followed by Avengers(mainly because its an event saga involving the Infinity War) and probably Ant Man 2 (since I did enjoy the original more so than the posters here). We are already closing in to May and I have yet to find a movie I rank a 9/10 since normally I always rank one at this stage every year

Fans may revolt, but I think it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have one or two films in the series where that wasn't a main plot point.

Ultimately, the story is about dinosaurs in the modern world. What can we do with that? Seems like it would be a lot.

But as the other dude was saying ,the basic storyline for all of these movies is the same...' dinosaurs escape...and...'
So it's just basically dinosaurs in Paris, dinosaurs in NY, dinosaurs in China, etc. I'm not seeing what there is to do with these movies beyond that. Planet of the Apes, but with dinosaurs ?

I didn't watch Jurrasic World, but i imagine that its success had to do with the likability of Pratt, and that there hadnt been a movie like that out in a while.

From your list, the only movie i am truly excited for is Infinity War.
I will watch Deadpool, Antman, and Solo for sure..and I'll probably watch MI, Sicario, and Jurrasic World if I have the time--though I'd be perfectly fine not seeing them.

I am looking forward to Equalizer 2 with Denzel.
Id have to look at a list to see what else is coming out this year. Im usually into smaller films

I didn't watch Jurrasic World, but i imagine that its success had to do with the likability of Pratt, and that there hadnt been a movie like that out in a while.

A mix of that and nostalgia for the original, I think the sequels going to have to deliver a lot more than a competent thrill ride to have near to the same success and it doesn't look like its going to.

other people lmao. I also like to choose when to start, when to pause for a bathroom break, when to take a longer break for tea, food, sleep etc. And I often rewind if I missed dialogue or didn't understand something.

I find my screen and surround sound at home to be sufficient.

I generally have the same feelings. I usually see 2-4 movies a year in the theater but the stars need to align for me to go. I pretty much much only see movies in the morning and if it's a popular movie like Star Wars it has to be during a weekday morning as well so it's the least amount of riff raff possible. i will say thank god for reserve seating because I wouldn't might not to the movies at all anymore with the issue of previews being close to 30 mins long.

Reality is the difference from the movie theater to the home theater has been slowly closing the gap every year for a many years now and I find many times I can get a more immersive experience at home over a big screen when I'm sitting close to THX recommended distance on a decent TV with a good source(like bluray) https://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

For me the only time theater still wins out is if it's a movie I really want to see then the experience is worth it because there is something neat about going and or if it's a really good movie theater screen and I got optional seats which isn't always easy to get. Also there can't be distracting noises from people around. I still remember going to the theater on a weekday morning for Alien Covenant and the very first scene of the movie has no ambient background noise it's just dialog and to my right this big fat guy going to town on his bag of popcorn.

Screw Infinity War, I've been waiting for this gem.

MV5BZDdjOWMwNjYtNWE3Zi00Y2JjLTgzODItNTg1YjNjM2U3ZWMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM4NTM5NDY@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Looks like the continued trend of Hollywood has ran out of ideas...

lol at Antman 2.....

Ant Man was cool. Not oscar worthy of course but fun for what it was.

Apparently they are going to travel to the quantum world in Ant Man 2. Should be fun

I'm interested in Sicario 2 because Taylor Sheridan is on fire. Otherwise, I'll probably only see Deadpool at the theater. The rest do nothing for me.

Everything but Sicario

Wasn’t a fan of the first either

But as the other dude was saying ,the basic storyline for all of these movies is the same...' dinosaurs escape...and...'
So it's just basically dinosaurs in Paris, dinosaurs in NY, dinosaurs in China, etc. I'm not seeing what there is to do with these movies beyond that. Planet of the Apes, but with dinosaurs ?

I think it's just going to take some imagination.

I mean, you're saying "the basic storyline for these movies is the same". . . Okay, well can you think up some storylines that are NOT the same? Is there some rule saying that that's the only kind of story that can be told?

Like I said, I would like to see a film where there's a competitor to InGen and you have two different corporations developing dinos at the same time. I don't have it all worked out in my head or anything but that sounds like an interesting and new direction to go with the story.

I think it's just going to take some imagination.

I mean, you're saying "the basic storyline for these movies is the same". . . Okay, well can you think up some storylines that are NOT the same? Is there some rule saying that that's the only kind of story that can be told?

Like I said, I would like to see a film where there's a competitor to InGen and you have two different corporations developing dinos at the same time. I don't have it all worked out in my head or anything but that sounds like an interesting and new direction to go with the story.

I group Jurassic Park in with movies like Jaws and Death Wish. You can get one good sequel by basically doing the same thing again but still doing it well (Jaws 2, Death Wish 2). After that it gets tired or stupid as you raise the stakes ridiculously (Paul Kersey vs LA gangs with a rocket launcher / grandson of Jaws following Mrs. Brody around the world). And it gets even worse if you really try to think outside the box and try to add "original" elements to the basic skeleton. Then you get Jaws --> Deep Blue sea with genius sharks, or Highlander --> Highlander 2 with aliens.

So, you could make a corporate competition / corporate espionage movie...but if you don't have "...the dinosaurs escape and..." then why would you really waste a screenplay as good as Wall Street or Boiler Room on a franchise about dinosaurs where everyone just wants to see a bigger version of the Tyrannosaurus than in the last movie?

I'm open to hearing some good ideas about these new avenues that could happen in the Jurassic universe, but like you said, the fans might / would revolt to something other than the park / city / world as a dino snack bar.

What do you have in mind?

I group Jurassic Park in with movies like Jaws and Death Wish. You can get one good sequel by basically doing the same thing again but still doing it well (Jaws 2, Death Wish 2). After that it gets tired or stupid as you raise the stakes ridiculously (Paul Kersey vs LA gangs with a rocket launcher / grandson of Jaws following Mrs. Brody around the world). And it gets even worse if you really try to think outside the box and try to add "original" elements to the basic skeleton. Then you get Jaws --> Deep Blue sea with genius sharks, or Highlander --> Highlander 2 with aliens.

So, you could make a corporate competition / corporate espionage movie...but if you don't have "...the dinosaurs escape and..." then why would you really waste a screenplay as good as Wall Street or Boiler Room on a franchise about dinosaurs where everyone just wants to see a bigger version of the Tyrannosaurus than in the last movie?

I'm open to hearing some good ideas about these new avenues that could happen in the Jurassic universe, but like you said, the fans might / would revolt to something other than the park / city / world as a dino snack bar.

I think you could still incorporate those elements that are important to fans--yes, people want to see the dino carnage--but keep the series relevant by building new and interesting stories around the insanity. I feel like what makes that first film so special--beyond the fact that it was indeed the first--is that there was a lot more going on there than just having to deal with the T-Rex.

I think that there could still be some directions to go where there's a little more emphasis on the WONDER of living with dinosaurs rather then just the terror. And I also would like at least one movie that feels more like a BIG ADVENTURE (think something kind of along the lines of Peter Jackson's King Kong) than what we've gotten so far. I think that Lost World and JP3 kinda sorta tried to do this, but they lacked the grand, epic feel that I'm talking about.

Sadly the same for me, excellent cast but rather turgid script for me and the atmosphere wasn't good enough to carry it.
As I recall, I felt like “what happened at the end”? I think female lead was at a motel and it like just ended, Boom. Couple good action moments but I just remember not liking it. Don’t feel like watching it again/wasting my time. If people liked it, salute.

I didnt

Don't you dare bash Death Wish 3! That movie is a fucking masterpiece of American filmmaking!

Back