Does this look like a good summer for movies or no?

If your idea of an interesting movie includes
a rape farm with an Ennio Morricone soundtrack
this movie could be for you.

But the shadow priest is right, it is dour. I've seen about half of the movie, and wish i hadn't.

Eh, all this talking means I just need to bite the bullet and watch it. I'll let you know if I regret my decision.

Just looking at release dates for the next few months and the line-up doesn't really have me hyped. I can't tell if it's just me and my expectations are too high or if this really doesn't look like an especially strong list of films.

In terms of big blockbuster releases, here's what we're looking at:

Avengers: Infinity War (4/27)
Deadpool 2 (5/18)
Solo (5/25)
The Incredibles 2 (6/15)
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (6/22)
Sicario 2 (6/29)
Ant-Man 2 (7/6)
Mission: Impossible - Fallout (7/27)

If you care about Oceans 8, that's also on the way.

All fucking sequels. Where are the fresh, new ideas?

Personally, the only two films out of all of those that I'm REALLY looking forward to are Jurassic World 2 and Sicario 2. The rest, eh, I'll watch them, but I'm not chomping at the big to get to the theater.

What do you guys think?

Infinity War is the only movie from your list that I will probably pay money to see in a movie theater. Everything else can wait.

Frankly, I don't even know what the hell the Infinity War is.

I've seen all the other Marvel movies. Am I supposed to know what this next one is about just from the title? Is this something we've been building to and I just didn't catch it?

If you read the comics you would get the reference but the comic is epic, thanos is the man as a villain.

I guess that shows how much I pay attention to the details when watching those films.

I've heard the name Thanos. That is all. Have no idea who that actually is.

Read this or listen to some youtube stuff breaking this down.

61M5MOicznL.jpg

I think it's just going to take some imagination.

I mean, you're saying "the basic storyline for these movies is the same". . . Okay, well can you think up some storylines that are NOT the same? Is there some rule saying that that's the only kind of story that can be told?

Like I said, I would like to see a film where there's a competitor to InGen and you have two different corporations developing dinos at the same time. I don't have it all worked out in my head or anything but that sounds like an interesting and new direction to go with the story.
The way i see it, at the end of the day, the movie is about dinosaurs.
That in itself limits what you can do with the movie.
Unless you start doing some serious bizarre, or SciFi stuff, i don't see how you get past that.
Even in your example, 2 corporations are developing dinos...to do what ...?
It's not that there's a rule in place that those movies can only be one thing, but what different things can you do with mindless monsters besides have them fight, or wreck shit?

The way i see it, at the end of the day, the movie is about dinosaurs.
That in itself limits what you can do with the movie.
Unless you start doing some serious bizarre, or SciFi stuff, i don't see how you get past that.
Even in your example, 2 corporations are developing dinos...to do what ...?
It's not that there's a rule in place that those movies can only be one thing, but what different things can you do with mindless monsters besides have them fight, or wreck shit?

Well like I was saying to BMMA earlier, even if you retain the dino carnage element for each entry in an attempt to give the fans what they want and expect each time out, I think that you can continue to make each new entry interesting and relevant by building an interesting story around the climax. I think the main reason the first film is regarded as the best in the franchise is because of the characters and the story surrounding the action. And I feel like the key to success with future installments is to follow that formula: Establish interesting characters and build an interesting story around the action.

You said, "Even in your example, 2 corporations are developing dinos...to do what ...?"

Well, I don't have it all worked out but it opens up the path for a story about competition. Suddenly InGen is not the only kid on the block with this capability. They no longer have a monopoly. I have to think there's somewhere interesting to go with that idea.

Well like I was saying to BMMA earlier, even if you retain the dino carnage element for each entry in an attempt to give the fans what they want and expect each time out, I think that you can continue to make each new entry interesting and relevant by building an interesting story around the climax. I think the main reason the first film is regarded as the best in the franchise is because of the characters and the story surrounding the action. And I feel like the key to success with future installments is to follow that formula: Establish interesting characters and build an interesting story around the action.

You said, "Even in your example, 2 corporations are developing dinos...to do what ...?"

Well, I don't have it all worked out but it opens up the path for a story about competition. Suddenly InGen is not the only kid on the block with this capability. They no longer have a monopoly. I have to think there's somewhere interesting to go with that idea.

Yeah totally, Listen to this

High School kid finds a box that fell off the back of some military truck
Inside the box is an actual DINOSAUR (Oh Shit)
Now this dinosaur is not a regular dinosaur its actually super smart because of "government tests"

Have you seen Short Circuit? Yeah its pretty much the same shit

Nobody would care though because fucking dinosaurs brah

I think it's going to be heavily, disconcertingly stacked to the early part of the summer. Avengers and Solo have my interest more than any other ones and they are two of the earliest.

Deadpool should be fun.

I'm hoping Sicario sequel lives up to the awesome original.

Cruise and the MI movies almost always deliver though so I'm looking forward to that one.

Incredibles could/should be great but you never know with sequels that come out over a decade after the original.

I think it's going to be heavily, disconcertingly stacked to the early part of the summer. Avengers and Solo have my interest more than any other ones and they are two of the earliest.

Really?

For me, Jurassic World 2 is by far my most anticipated film this summer and it falls near the middle. After that is Sicario, which comes later on.

As for Avengers, in my opinion they are yet to make a good Avengers film so it's hard for me to get hyped. The first one was a disappointment and the second was even worse.

I'll probably see 3 of these movies in theaters. Which is better than previous years.

Really?

For me, Jurassic World 2 is by far my most anticipated film this summer and it falls near the middle. After that is Sicario, which comes later on.

As for Avengers, in my opinion they are yet to make a good Avengers film so it's hard for me to get hyped. The first one was a disappointment and the second was even worse.

See I loved the original Avengers and liked Ultron a good bit and thought Civil War (essentially Avengers 3) was awesome so I'm all aboard and ready for them to take my money (my MoviePass is no good for the first two weeks and no way am I waiting).

Jurassic World didn't really do it for me. As you know from that cool thread you did a while back, I thought it was reasonably entertaining and better than the previous sequels to Jurassic Park, but it was not anything that would have me clamoring for the next installment. I'm on board for it because i am a big Pratt fan, I think Goldblum is the shit, and it's a dinosaur action movie so of course I'm seeing it lol. But I don't know if it really falls in my top 5 of most anticipated summer movies.

The weird thing is I thought the original Deadpool was really fun but I'm not as amped about the sequel as I figured i'd be.

I have optimism Sicario 2 will be good, but I worry about the lack of Villeneueve who is one of those guys who is on such a role currently that his presence as the director of the sequel would immediately make me think the level of quality is beyond doubt. I also feel that the loss of Blunt is going to be a factor. In the wake of that movie, a lot of people complained about her character not contributing much, but I actually thought that her character being in over her head and coming to see the extent of what the war on the cartels looks like was a very important aspect of the film. If the film had just been the exploits of frat boyish Brolin and badass Del Toro, it wouldn't have been as good. You needed the Blunt counterpoint, in my opinion, to really highlight just how fucked up and intense the whole scenario was.

. . . my MoviePass is no good for the first two weeks. . .

What's this all about?

Jurassic World didn't really do it for me. As you know from that cool thread you did a while back, I thought it was reasonably entertaining and better than the previous sequels to Jurassic Park, but it was not anything that would have me clamoring for the next installment. I'm on board for it because i am a big Pratt fan, I think Goldblum is the shit, and it's a dinosaur action movie so of course I'm seeing it lol. But I don't know if it really falls in my top 5 of most anticipated summer movies.

Interesting. It seems that a lot of people feel as you do.

I didn't think that Jurassic World was a perfect film, but for me, it successfully reinvigorated the franchise. I'm totally on board. I just love the whole concept behind the series.

It's easily a Top 10 favorite franchise of mine. Possibly even Top 5.

I have optimism Sicario 2 will be good, but I worry about the lack of Villeneueve who is one of those guys who is on such a role currently that his presence as the director of the sequel would immediately make me think the level of quality is beyond doubt. I also feel that the loss of Blunt is going to be a factor. In the wake of that movie, a lot of people complained about her character not contributing much, but I actually thought that her character being in over her head and coming to see the extent of what the war on the cartels looks like was a very important aspect of the film. If the film had just been the exploits of frat boyish Brolin and badass Del Toro, it wouldn't have been as good. You needed the Blunt counterpoint, in my opinion, to really highlight just how fucked up and intense the whole scenario was.

I liked Blunt's character a lot, so I am with you on that.

Regarding the director, it's still written by Taylor Sheridan, so that should count for a lot. And the guy who directed this also directed Suburra, which was an interesting Italian crime drama. I think we are in good hands.

Yeah totally, Listen to this

High School kid finds a box that fell off the back of some military truck
Inside the box is an actual DINOSAUR (Oh Shit)
Now this dinosaur is not a regular dinosaur its actually super smart because of "government tests"

Have you seen Short Circuit? Yeah its pretty much the same shit

Nobody would care though because fucking dinosaurs brah

Dinosaur Deep Blue Sea
Dinosaur E.T.
Dinosaur Free Willy
Dinosaur Most Valuable Primate (diplodocus plays basketball)
Dinosaur Secret of NIMH
Dinosaur Look Who's Talking
Dinosaur Weekend at Bernie's (big investors are coming and Indomitus Rex is dead!)

Summer movies always suck ass. The best movies in terms of quality, script, actors and directors come out in the Fall and Winter.

Why you gonna talk about Independence Day like that?

You guys got me thinking about summer movies and I came across this insanity. I am old enough to remember 1982 clearly but at the time I didn't realize some sort of movie history was taking place. Take a look at this ridiculous occurrence that took place in 1982 in a period of around 90 days.

Blade Runner, Released in theaters on June 27, 1982.
Conan the Barbarian, Released on May 14, 1982.
E.T., Released on June 13, 1982.
Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Released on August 13, 1982.
An Officer and a Gentleman, Released on August 13, 1982.
Pink Floyd: The Wall, Released on August 13, 1982.
Poltergeist, Released on June 4, 1982.
The Road Warrior, Released on May 21, 1982.
Rocky III, Released on May 28, 1982.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Released on June 4, 1982.
The Thing, Released on June 27, 1982.
Tron, Released on July 9, 1982.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjef...er-movies-ever?utm_term=.yeP0mjZgY#.jp8jaqneE

Really?

I agree, the avengers never faced a threat yet. It's annoying to get so many characters together on screen when hulk or thor alone could save the day.

You guys got me thinking about summer movies and I came across this insanity. I am old enough to remember 1982 clearly but at the time I didn't realize some sort of movie history was taking place. Take a look at this ridiculous occurrence that took place in 1982 in a period of around 90 days.

Blade Runner, Released in theaters on June 27, 1982.
Conan the Barbarian, Released on May 14, 1982.
E.T., Released on June 13, 1982.
Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Released on August 13, 1982.
An Officer and a Gentleman, Released on August 13, 1982.
Pink Floyd: The Wall, Released on August 13, 1982.
Poltergeist, Released on June 4, 1982.
The Road Warrior, Released on May 21, 1982.
Rocky III, Released on May 28, 1982.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Released on June 4, 1982.
The Thing, Released on June 27, 1982.
Tron, Released on July 9, 1982.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjef...er-movies-ever?utm_term=.yeP0mjZgY#.jp8jaqneE

That's pretty crazy. Incredible line-up.

And several of those are original films as well that were not yet part of an established franchise. It's amazing to me that EVERY SINGLE big film this summer is a sequel of some kind. EVERY FUCKING ONE OF THEM!

And several of those are original films as well that were not yet part of an established franchise. It's amazing to me that EVERY SINGLE big film this summer is a sequel of some kind. EVERY FUCKING ONE OF THEM!

Well here is the thing. People complain about sequels but Hollywood is not dumb. They are the only movies that make any money. Original films have been flopping. People don't want to take risks anymore on something they are not familiar with.

Summer 1982 > All other summers.

Hollywood wasn't playing around that year. All of those are original films or continuing in original series. Its almost like, even throwing in Star Trek II, its by most peoples standards the greatest Star Trek ever made. Its almost like Hollywood lost the ability to produce a line up like that. Forget Summer, they can't do it during any time of year. There is no telling how much money they made that year. E.T. and Poltergeist alone had to have made a shit load of money.

Well here is the thing. People complain about sequels but Hollywood is not dumb. They are the only movies that make any money. Original films have been flopping. People don't want to take risks anymore on something they are not familiar with.

I think people who like good movies complain, while three times their number flock to see Transformers 9 and Five Hundred of the Furious.

Deadpool 2, and maybe Jurassic World 2. other than that not really looking forward to any.

Back