Does this look like a good summer for movies or no?

I would say a three-dimensional character comes across as a genuine, fleshed out human being. A real person. Not a one-note caricature.

Well, by that standard and probably any other that is floating around, I would say he is, and very much so. If you name a random situation, I have a better feel for what Quint would do if placed there than any of the Jurassic Park scientists, more often than not.

Being a shark-obsessed madman is interesting enough, but we see plenty more, including his negotiating tactics, his disdain for common fishermen who are his inferiors, his complete disinterest in social graces if it impedes his business for one second, his gradual development of respect for Richard Dreyfuss as he sees there are other paths to at least a portion of his own knowledge, his blue collar ethic and distrust of academia, his concern for the safety of his crew provided it doesn't interfere with his ultimate goals, etc.

Well, by that standard and probably any other that is floating around, I would say he is, and very much so. If you name a random situation, I have a better feel for what Quint would do if placed there than any of the Jurassic Park scientists, more often than not.

Being a shark-obsessed madman is interesting enough, but we see plenty more, including his negotiating tactics, his disdain for common fishermen who are his inferiors, his complete disinterest in social graces if it impedes his business for one second, his gradual development of respect for Richard Dreyfuss as he sees there are other paths to at least a portion of his own knowledge, his blue collar ethic and distrust of academia, his concern for the safety of his crew provided it doesn't interfere with his ultimate goals, etc.

Been a while since I last watched Jaws. Maybe I'll need to give it another look soon. I remember Quint feeling fairly one-dimensional though.

We will have better movies in the fall

maxresdefault.jpg

Sophie-Turner-Jean-Grey-Dark-Phoenix-X-Men.jpg

wreck_it_ralph_2_poster_by_cinemutt14-d9qq0uz.jpg

Honestly for me this really highlights why I think Jurrasic Park was a sign of Spielberg on the decline as a maker of blockbusters, classic Spielberg always had a way of crafting characters with depth of personality even in roles that had the potential to be shallow. Jurassic Park for me still feels like a film that's driven much more by its plot, I mean the Sam Neil character has depth in motivation obviously but for me less so in personality, not down to the actor either as Neil certain does have a lot of personality in other roles.

Last edited:
Back