Does training Judo help for BJJ competition?

LockieBJJ

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys, first post.

I've been looking into getting serious with my competing in BJJ. Currently trained just under a year in BJJ and none in Judo. I seem to lack skill in stand up at the start of a comp match, always end with either guard or under side control. So far I'm 5 - 0 but I don't think that'll last very long once I get to the more popular competitions.

Just wondering how much of a benefit is there in training BJJ and Judo at the same time? My gym offers both, meaning I would train 2 days a week in BJJ and 1 in Judo.

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

depends on the type of judo they teach and what weight you are. Usually judo is useful in middle and up.

You'll get to a point in jiu jitsu where you really wish you addressed the holes in your game earlier, whatever they may be (and this usually includes takedowns). Going to a crappy Judo club once a week and going through the motions might not be the best way to learn however. For example, I train my judo for about 15 minutes a day, or even just as a warm up in BJJ class with a qualified coach (3rd degree Jimmy Pedro black belt) and have been improving by leaps and bounds.

The only people that will tell you Judo won't benefit you, or it somehow doesn't fit into the context of sport Jiu Jitsu, are people that aren't good at Judo and you shouldn't listen to them. Aside from being more dangerous on the feet, and immensely more composed defensively, specifically Judo has helped me to: foot sweep stallers and runners, attack the guard pull, counter the single leg with harai, take someone down QUICKLY from a rear waist lock instead of pathetically being dragged all over the mat for 45 seconds while we both flail around, defend attacks with grip fighting, defend shots purely with grip fighting and more.

Yes! Judo and wrestling! I wish I would've put more time in sooner but over the last three years I've put in the work to make sure I start most of my matches in top position. Lucky for me we had a white belt now blue join our gym a couple years ago that was a d1 wrestler.

My point is start learning everything you can on the feet as soon as you can. We are also lucky that one of the judo coatches hates the judo rules that tried to eliminate wrestling takedowns so we can work double and singles in judo class. IMO that makes everyone better in the long run.

not only can you dictate the pace of the match by controlling the standing game and top pressure, you'll also develop the body control to scramble/roll out of other takedowns simply by carrying your momentum through. Judo is very good at giving you lots of looks at random-ass positions you wouldn't really find yourself tangled up in at BJJ.

conversely, it's gonna be a lot rougher (falling) than BJJ, and you're also going to have to deal with a lot of holes in the ground game: most Judo guys over-rely on the turtle, have a poor understanding of guard concepts, and almost no experience with leglocks. they'll be able to snatch up quick submissions, but the angles and setups will tend to be blue belt level. BJJ is a lot more subtle and nuanced with their groundwork, but the BJJ guy can afford to be patient in that regard.

ultimately, cross-training is fantastic. you're covering all of the bases. granted, you won't be as adept as if you focused all of your effort on ONE art, but i'd rather be formidable in two disciplines than a nightmare in one and helpless in the other. eventually, you get accused of being 'the jujitsu guy' at Judo, and 'the Judo guy' at Jujitsu.

Cross training is good, but you'll have to either adapt your judo or be taught it more geared towards BJJ. Some of the things that are best in pure judo aren't suited for BJJ. Uchi Mata has posted a bunch of times on this, and gone over what he finds works well for him. I don't think he uses much of the big forwards throws (such as Uchi mata, funnily enough) but spends more time on foot sweeps, ankle picks, and I think sacrifice throws (but I could be misremembering).

Would you be adding one day of judo to your schedule, or would you be substituting a day of BJJ for a day of judo?

That being said, judo is awesome. I started out in BJJ but switched to judo as I enjoyed it more. Give it a try.

Go and try Judo, you will find out what works for you. It can improve your grip strength too.

Is it worth trying to learn judo when you are 47?

My first competition i didnt do any standup training and neither did the guy i went against so it was just a strength match standing and we both burnt eachother out in first two minutes. The second competition i had been doing a lot of standup sparring with a sambo team and i was way more comfortable on my feet and got first that competition. The judo training will definitely help for a bjj just by helping you be comfortable standing.

Why not, if the competition isn't used to it, the takedowns/throws are gonna surprise them.

I'm more wrestling oriented, and against Judo guys when I started out, it hit me and I didn;'t even know what hit me.

Most gyms these days are very heavy on wrestling and BJJ/sub grappling, not too much Judo.

take someone down QUICKLY from a rear waist lock instead of pathetically being dragged all over the mat for 45 seconds while we both flail around,

Interested in this part specifically, which technique are you referring to

I use Ura Nage all the time. I use it from duck unders, I use it as a counter to them taking a belt grip, and I go straight into it. Maybe the name changes dependant on minor adjustments and grip changes, but I've found it matters very little what you are grabbing if your hips are correct. In no gi, I still back arch. It scares the piss out of people to be thrown that way, and a lot of times they are off their feet before they realize what is happening.

Thanks everyone! I posted this then had to go into the no-internet lands. I'm either going to get into MMA and start Thai, or be a BJJ athlete and do more Judo. Hmm the decisions! Leaning towards MMA because I'm a huge Spider fan but not entirely sure. Thanks guys! Awesome tips.

2 bad u answered your own question.

Train Judo anyway!

LOL!

Hi, I have very bad standups for BJJ... Do you think I should train Judo? I am 46 years old and blue belt at BJJ. If So, Which techniques are best to practise first to get a good feel for standups/Judo? Thanks.

Honestly Bjj is such a different type of art these days id say unless you are trying to be a " compete grappler " then I'd say don't worry about it

Hi, I have very bad standups for BJJ... Do you think I should train Judo? I am 46 years old and blue belt at BJJ. If So, Which techniques are best to practise first to get a good feel for standups/Judo? Thanks.

I'd say train some Judo or really whatever sort of wrestling is available in your area. I'm 35 years old, and find i have decent cardio rolling on the ground, but the stand-up part wears my legs out. I guess it's all those short bursts and moving around...it adds up. best of luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back