"Don't spend it all in one place"

Medulla Omoplata

Mayberry Comptroller
@Silver
Reaction score
Where did this saying come from? It doesn't make any sense.

If I have 20 bucks and I want one thing that costs 20 bucks it makes sense to buy it.
It doesn't make sense to wander around a bunch of different places buying different things just to spread my money around.

It should just be "Don't spend it on stupid shit, dumbass".

That's what I'm going to tell my kids anyway.

People who suddenly come into a lot of money tend to blow it on stupid shit (fancy car, watch, etc) instead of making sensible purchases with some of it while saving the rest.

Thiis phrase is a poke at someone who thinks they stumbled onto a large chunk of change but it's actually very small. So to tell them not to spend it all on one place (a car) is a poke at them, sarcastically comparing them to the former group. 'Wow you stumbled onto $20, don't spend it all on a car, put your kids through college instead.'.

I learned this when I was 4.

Because the next please you go to might have something you want or need. It's a very simple saying.

People who suddenly come into a lot of money tend to blow it on stupid shit (fancy car, watch, etc) instead of making sensible purchases with some of it while saving the rest.

Thiis phrase is a poke at someone who thinks they stumbled onto a large chunk of change but it's actually very small. So to tell them not to spend it all on one place (a car) is a poke at them, sarcastically comparing them to the former group. 'Wow you stumbled onto $20, don't spend it all on a car, put your kids through college instead.'.

I learned this when I was 4.

Because the next please you go to might have something you want or need. It's a very simple saying.

It appears you two savants are at odds.

I believe that this is an example in the annals of history of someone ( prob a man ) spending all of his money on booze , drugs , women and clothes/material things / shiny objects at one castle back in the day . Now it would be an expensive hotel room.

It appears you two savants are at odds.
Don't care. That's what it means. It happens to kids all the time. Spend their money on ice cream, and then gets sad at the toy store when it's all gone, and they cannot get anything.

Probably from the same guy who said something about money burning a hole in your pocket.

Where did this saying come from? It doesn't make any sense.

If I have 20 bucks and I want one thing that costs 20 bucks it makes sense to buy it.
It doesn't make sense to wander around a bunch of different places buying different things just to spread my money around.

It should just be "Don't spend it on stupid shit, dumbass".

That's what I'm going to tell my kids anyway.

jerry-seinfeld.jpg

What's the deal.....with that?

Back