Doom is 25 Years Old Today

Law Talkin’ Guy

The Worm
@Gold
Reaction score
The game that first got me into PC gaming. One of the GOATs. Still holds up.

Yup had it on my relic PC back then. Such a big improvement from Wolfenstein 3D, and then Quake dropped and made Doom look dated. Pretty cool to watch a whole genre develop.

Last edited:
I first played it at my uncles house on his PC before it was released.

He had an early demo (lived in Richardson and was in IT)

Was hooked ever since.

And I was just thinking about installing Zandronum or one of those source ports.

I first played it at a buddy's house and I loved it. Same with Doom 2.

Yup had it on my relic PC back then. Such a big improvement from Wolfenstein 3D, and then Quake dropped and made Doom look dated. Pretty cool to watch a while genre develop.

I still have the original Quake disc. 16 players was ridiculous at the time.

I remember first playing it on a PC at Sam’s Club that for some reason had it loaded on it lol.

A few years later our family got a PC and both my dad and I were absolutely hooked on Doom 2.

Still play through them today and the 2016 version is one my favorite games ever. Picked up the VFR recently as well.

Actually I’m experiencing another version of Doom now that I never got around to. The PlayStation port. Aubrey Hodges’ score is so good, and the new sound and lighting effects make it feel like a completely different game.

Came in the old PlayStation long box and even has the instruction manual. All in excellent shape.

I remember first playing it on a PC at Sam’s Club that for some reason had it loaded on it lol.

A few years later our family got a PC and both my dad and I were absolutely hooked on Doom 2.

Still play through them today and the 2016 version is one my favorite games ever. Picked up the VFR recently as well.

Actually I’m experiencing another version of Doom now that I never got around to. The PlayStation port. Aubrey Hodges’ score is so good, and the new sound and lighting effects make it feel like a completely different game.

Came in the old PlayStation long box and even has the instruction manual. All in excellent shape.

My friends and I used to play coop and deathmatch on the PS1 version all the time. It needed 2 tvs and 2 playstations, but it was worth it. Also the console levels like Threshold of Pain, Twilight Descends->The Marshes, Redemption Denied (for deathmatch), The Mansion-> and Club Doom were great.

The PlayStation was good played it a lot on friends ps.

Still liked pc gameplay better though.

The PlayStation was good played it a lot on friends ps.

Still liked pc gameplay better though.

Oh yeah, I agree. The PS version (and all other console versions) was unfortunately missing the ArchVile and there was no Nightmare difficulty, but the new sounds, music, and 59 levels made it a great port.

Edit: It's also missing the final levels Dis and Icon of Sin which were replaced with Threshold of Pain and Redemption Denied.

Last edited:
It was great, but it doesn't hold up at all. You can't even look up or down.

I disagree, from a pure fun point of view I think it holds up great, and that’s why instill play it on emulators with mod levels

vanilla pre-mouse look shooters are rough but with zdoom to render it in 3d and full mouse look, its still a good game.

doom is the goat. the game that clearly signaled that pc gaming was going to be better than arcades or consoles.

next gen consoles have been chasing the fps unicorn ever since but there is no substitute. fps is the king of game formats and pc is the king of fps.

doom was really the first 3d fps, as wolfenstein and other earlier games did not have z-direction (whole level is on a flat plane). doom was the first fps game with elevators, stairs, cliffs, pits, etc. and if there is some obscure title out there that did it first, who cares. doom established it.

Last edited:
John Romero's head on a stick gave me nightmares for a long time as a kid.

I was obsessed with Doom as a kid. I was writing Doom fanfic for homework and shit.

I was obsessed with Doom as a kid. I was writing Doom fanfic for homework and shit.

You should look through your parents basement or attic or something, see if you can find some of the shit you probably wrote in grade 4 or 5, then post it here.

I still need to play the one from 2016. I'm 100% getting it during the winter sale this year.

I feel like going back and playing the original. Too bad I didn't hang on to my old big box pc games.

This game looks pretty nice in wide screen with hi resolution textures.

Back