Doom

e0tf8EP.jpg

The VR version came out a couple of days ago on PlaySTation and HTC Vive. Anyone tried it yet?

Update us on what you think of it.

Well the reviews are horrid, and people say it runs like shit even with a gtx 1080... which is surprising considering DOOM is probably one of the most well optimized games Ive played in years.

Id have maybe considered it, except (this was the killer), no left handed mode.

Nope.

Completed it twice and platted the game when it first came out. I'm due another playthrough, honestly think this is one of the best fps games in like 10+ years.

Well the reviews are horrid, and people say it runs like shit even with a gtx 1080... which is surprising considering DOOM is probably one of the most well optimized games Ive played in years.

Id have maybe considered it, except (this was the killer), no left handed mode.

Nope.
I've been digging through the reviews and I think a lot of the negative comments are Rift owners. It's not officially supported on the Rift, there seems to be a fix though. Valve is making a patch to make it compatible.

Last edited:
I've been digging through the reviews and I think a lot of the negative comments are Rift owners. It's not officially supported on the Rift, there seems to be a fix though. Valve is making a patch to make it compatible.

Motion is teleport only (bleh), and no lefty flip (no thanks).

Ill consider it if at least the lefty flip is addressed

THe only thing that stopped my from buying Doom was the Glory Kill system for ammo. I hate FPS games that put restrictions on ammo. Everytime I look at anything to do with this game, I want to run out and buy it, but then I remember the ammo.

THe only thing that stopped my from buying Doom was the Glory Kill system for ammo. I hate FPS games that put restrictions on ammo. Everytime I look at anything to do with this game, I want to run out and buy it, but then I remember the ammo.

Thats not the only way to get ammo, maybe its different on nightmare but playing on Ultra Violence ammo was never an issue, even without glory killls or the chainsaw.

because VR isnt ready yet...

Dead effect 2 VR does it just fine. Its not "on rails", and while you CAN teleport, you can free move as well, which gets intense.

I can see how people get motion sickness or have their equilibrium thrown off (when I first used my vive, moving forward on free motion with the controller made me feel like I was going to trip onto my face), but its a blast when you get comfortable with it, and teleporting really takes you out of the immersion.

The glory kill feature is a non-issue. Popularity of enemies on the maps with how CQC they can get creates a nice flow to the gameplay. In the 9 hours i spent doing the campaign. I only had to glory kill an enemy twice to replenish my ammo. An this was for i only used the combat shotgun throughout the entire game.

The Glory Kill thing is a key component of the game, and is a fluid and core part of the combat system. There’s no lack of ammo in the game, GKs are more there for health replenishment (apart from chainsaws which, yes, boost ammo too).

Back