Double Forearm Cross Block

It's a good block but like you have shown it needs to form part of a flowing defence....

Long guard to "Dracula" guard to double forearm block, then to clinch.

It forms as a collapsing defence for a clinch fighter against hand fighters.

It's a good block but like you have shown it needs to form part of a flowing defence....

It forms as a collapsing defence for a clinch fighter against hand fighters.

I know I have seen Dany Bill use it, I was searching for it to cut the clip and put it in the video but I couldnt find it. There was way too many of his videos to dig through to find that specific instant of a fight. But yeah thats exaclty it, long guard to double forearm, the way dekkers was using it in his fight was a bit different, to try and setup punches.

Any specific fights that Dekkers used it? It's a cool technique, didn't george foreman use a double arm block defense a lot when he came out of retirement?

Any specific fights that Dekkers used it? It's a cool technique, didn't george foreman use a double arm block defense a lot when he came out of retirement?

dekkers vs cesar paris

watch my full video, i put clips of myself, as well as dekkers using it at the end.

We are very lucky in that there are still fighters from the golden era of Muay Thai still around.......

Pascha_grappling_009.png

17th century.

I know the long guard from ancient vases, but the Dracula guard always turned out to block my line of sight downwards and people could sneak in groin, shin or knee kicks Savate-style. Not a fan.

Figure13.jpg

Pascha_grappling_009.png

17th century.

I know the long guard from ancient vases, but the Dracula guard always turned out to block my line of sight downwards and people could sneak in groin, shin or knee kicks Savate-style. Not a fan.

Figure13.jpg

good fight with the ancient fight pics. Regarding the kick to the balls etc, totally possible in a "real fight" but not a concern for Muay Thai. The long guard is a staple of Muay Thai.

You could kinda fall into this guard after an overhand. Or an elbow.
<{jackyeah}>
Is there any way to protect the body, or a guard to transition to, to protect it?

you definitely could fall into it after a over hand or elbow. This guard is the "correct" position for throwing elbows. If you guys are unfamiliar with that I suppose I could make a video as well on how to stay tight and protected when throwing elbows.

As far as protecting the body not really, as with anything your open somewhere, even your standard high double forearm guard leaves the body open. I suppose you could raise your leg like blocking a kick, which is also part of the long guard. But the distance may be off. This guard is something to use as a last resort shit hits the fan type scenario. Also at very close distance. I think the best way "guard" to transition to from this position to protect your body would be to clinch/tie the guy up.

Pascha_grappling_009.png

17th century.

Figure13.jpg

Again it's not a static guard and you use the forearm just above your eyes not covering your eyes, no guard should be used in away as to completely block your vision, that's not any effective guard.........

I never really got into using this style of guard. Long guard yes, but when I tried this I ended up eating more shots than normal. I'll try to put it into some drills tomorrow and see if I can make it work.

Came into this thread expecting some karate shit..

Anyway a bit more serious. Its a good block for its use. Buakaw uses it often under fire.

A bit dangerous against a heavy lowkicker.

I never really got into using this style of guard. Long guard yes, but when I tried this I ended up eating more shots than normal. I'll try to put it into some drills tomorrow and see if I can make it work.

I think its best as something to use as a last resort if you happen to be in that position but definitely good to train and be familiar with so you can use it if you have to, main goal being to block, clinch/tie him up, possibly elbow

I worked it a bit today with some low intensity sparring. Looking at the vid I can def tighten it up a bit but after a few rounds I felt a bot more comfortable with it.

Lifting your tricep up to intercept a round kick to the head is a more solid block than trying to use your forearm.

In the common 'ear mitt' style block, the point of impact, by being further down the arm, is on a longer 'lever arm', meaning you would require much greater strength to resist the same amount of force; in practice, this generally means people who try to block headkicks by 'putting on a earmitt' like they would with a punch, end up getting hurt anyways when it crashes through.

Whereas, when using a cross block, blocking the kick with the tricep provides a much more solid 'base', both in terms of having a better point of leverage for a block, and also the fact that, by being closer to the point of attachment, it acts more like a 'single piece' with respect to the rest of your upper body; rather than a kick moving the arm independently (and transferring energy to the head behind it), the kick would be moving more of the body as a whole, taking away energy that might go into the head.

Last edited:
Back