Douchebag in the gym

I started doing Judo while ago and the gym is small, not many members. There are few adult ones including me, but they skip training often. So the instructor pairs me with this jerk who is incredibly rude and too rough even though we are all beginners including him. The last time he threw some poor guy so hard so the guy got injured badly. The instructor doesn't seems to care all that much so I don't know what to do. I want to train Judo but the fear of injury really drives me crazy.

No pain no gain.

Next time you are practicing your best throw, return the favor over and over until he gets the message.

You are right, I will talk to him for sure. I just hate to bring up that kind of stuff. The instructor might think I'm a sissy or something because I complain about roughness. You know how it is...

Dude, I learned martial arts in the 80s, old school karate style. Getting hit by kendo sticks, no mats, etc. At 8 fricken years old. As a teenager, full contact was sweet. Even in my 20's, I wanted to battle, be it BJJ, kick boxing, full contact karate, etc.

Now,I'm pushing 40. The game has changed. If I'm in a gym that thinks I'm a sissy because someone doesn't understand proper safety, or the instructor doesn't care- I'm in the wrong gym. I wish I would have been smarter earlier, as my body betrays me at times due to years of abuse.

If its a new school- the instructor should be emphasizing a positive training environment to help increase student base. If he doesn't, find a new place to train. Injuries are part of training, no doubt- but avoidable injuries due to stupid or careless people have no place in a gym.

Back