Dragonlord's 2018 Movie Guide | Most Anticipated Films of 2018 | New Releases This Week

(Multiple answers allowed) What are your most anticipated films of 2018?

• Total voters
I haven't seen those... I like Neeson... so would you say you recommend those other movies. I tend to shy away from drama movies... but it's not a rule, & I can get into the better of them. I can't stand drama for the sake of drama... it's got to have a great story & purpose for me to put myself through those emotions. I'm also the same with action just for the sake of action. It's gotta fit the story & be interesting. A car chase or gun fight doesn't do it for me without a good film backing it up. Anywayz... that's probably why I hadn't gotten around to those movies... but if you recommend them, I'll check em out.

There was some good action in Commuter... it wasn't "non-stop" action... but the tension was non-stop. Without spoiling it... I'll say I was probably riding a 7 or so throughout the movie... & dropped to 5.5 while sitting there at the end thinking of wayz I would've done it differently. Still liked it though. It's worth seeing.
Unknown and Non-Stop are action thrillers, not straight up dramas. I would recommend them if you're in the mood for forgettable entertaining mystery thrillers.

Annihilation is written and directed by the same guy who made Ex Machina. If you haven't seen Ex Machina then you need to do that.

I assume you are not aware since you say "it's a 99% chance it will be shit and generic."
That is actually high up on my list to see.

I've read it is gonna be really hard to transfer the book onto the screen but atleast it has the right guy on the job from what i've heard.

When I say generic I mean like it ends up they go in, weird looking monsters chase them, one by one they die etc.

But we will see.

Three Billboards. Amazing.

Top, top film.

9/10.

Weekend Box Office:

JUMANJI Reigns Over Martin Luther King Weekend with $35.4 Million

JUMANJI2-810x405.jpg

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle maintained the top spot at the domestic box office for the second weekend in a row, corralling an estimated $35.4 million as the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend unfolded.

Steven Spielberg’s The Post posted solid numbers as it expanded nationwide into 2,819 theaters, while three other new nationwide openings had a tougher time making a mark.

And although Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which ranked fifth for the four-day weekend, is starting to wind down — it posted $15.3 million domestically for the holiday as it took another $19 million from 53 territories — with a cumulative worldwide haul of $1.269 billion, it has now surpassed both Disney’s own Beauty and the Beast ($1.264 billion) and Universal’s Fate of the Furious ($1.236 billion) to become the top global release of 2017 and the 10th top global release of all time.

Sony’s Jumanji, the comedy-adventure directed by Jake Kasdan and starring Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Jack Black and Karen Gillan as the adult avatars of a magical game, took in $28.2 million for the three days before climbing to $35.4 million for the four-day holiday frame, which would bring its domestic cume to $291.6 million as it closes in on the $300 million mark.

Jumanji also was the weekend's top international grosser, grossing $81 million from 94 territories, as its worldwide gross climbed to nearly $675 million.

The Post, which recounts how Washington Post publisher Katharine Graham (Meryl Streep) and editor Ben Bradlee (Tom Hanks) joined forces to defy the government and publish the Pentagon Papers, grossed $19.3 million for the three days as it headed to a four-day gross of an estimated $23.4 million. Since Fox opened the film on Dec. 22 in just a handful of theaters, the $50 million pic, from Amblin Entertainment and Participant Media, had collected $4.2 million in its limited release. The politically charged, adult-skewing movie received an A CinemaScore.

Of the weekend’s three new wide releases, Lionsgate's The Commuter showed the most traction, with a third-place showing for the frame as it took in $13.7 million for the three days and a four-day total of $16.4 million. Directed by Jaume Collet-Serra (The Shallows), the PG-13-rated action movie stars Liam Neeson as a businessman who gets caught up in a frenzied criminal conspiracy when he meets a stranger (Vera Farmiga) on a train. It received a B CinemaScore from an audience that was 54 percent male and 70 percent age 30 or older.

Given the fact that it was met with an A CinemaScore and has received enthusiastic reviews, resulting in a 100 percent Rotten Tomatoes rating, Paddington 2, which had to compete with Jumanji for the family crowd, got off to a disappointing start for Warner Bros. Ranking sixth for the holiday weekend, it attracted just $10.9 million for the three days, then edging up to $15 million for the four days. The film — which Warners bought from the beleaguered Weinstein Co. and producer StudioCanal — again centers on the plucky Peruvian bear (voiced by Ben Whishaw) as he and the Brown family team to unmask a thief. The animated/live-action sequel, based on Michael Bond's children’s book series that launched in 1958, also stars Hugh Bonneville, Sally Hawkins, Jim Broadbent, Peter Capaldi, Hugh Grant and Brendan Gleeson.

Sony’s Proud Mary, starring Taraji P. Henson as an assassin whose life is altered when she becomes involved with a young boy, debuted in eighth place as it took in $12 million for the four days after pulling in $9.9 million over the three days. Directed by Babak Najafi (London Has Fallen), the R-rated action pic was greeted with a B-plus CinemaScore as it bowed in 2,125 locations.

Box Office Report: 'Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle' Reigns Over MLK Weekend With $35.4 Million

Paddington 2 was a very enjoyable movie. Probably the best film out right now. Sadly most sherdoggers won't see it because it is considered a kid's film.

Paddington 2 was a very enjoyable movie. Probably the best film out right now. Sadly most sherdoggers won't see it because it is considered a kid's film.
I saw the first Paddington and it was surprisingly good. Will watch the sequel. They say it's one of those rare films where the sequel exceeds the first movie which was also good.

I saw the first Paddington and it was surprisingly good. Will watch the sequel. They say it's one of those rare films where the sequel exceeds the first movie which was also good.

I liked the first one a lot too but I found the villain to be the weak link. This movie is the opposite, I thought Hugh Grant killed it.

lmfao

at least you know that its a kids film

lmfao

at least you know that its a kids film
Honestly this is a film for everyone. It has a lot of heart and there are certain things in it that adults can appreciate. Stop it with the tough guy act.

Honestly this is a film for everyone. It has a lot of heart and there are certain things in it that adults can appreciate. Stop it with the tough guy act.

I am always down for a good family film, so I feel you on this one.

New Releases This Week (January 19, 2018)

12 STRONG
hs-10332-src25.jpg

Genre: Historical War Action Drama

Director: Nicolai Fuglsig (Exfil)

Cast: Chris Hemsworth, Michael Shannon, Michael Peña, Austin Stowell, Trevante Rhodes, Rob Riggle, William Fichtner, Elsa Pataky

Synopsis: Following the September 11 attacks, Task Force Dagger, including CIA paramilitary officers and a US Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha 595 12 member team, are sent to Afghanistan. They join forces with General Abdul Rashid Dostum of the Northern Alliance to help conduct unconventional warfare against Taliban forces. The movie is based on Doug Stanton’s non-fiction book Horse Soldiers.

DEN OF THIEVES
den_of_thieves.jpg

Genre: Crime Heist Action Thriller

Director: Christian Gudegast (feature film directorial debut)

Cast: Gerard Butler, 50 Cent, Pablo Schreiber, O'Shea Jackson Jr., Evan Jones, Dawn Olivieri, Mo McRae, Max Holloway

Synopsis: Den of Thieves is a gritty Los Angeles crime saga which follows the intersecting and often personally connected lives of an elite unit of the LA County Sheriff's Department and the state's most successful bank robbery crew as the outlaws plan a seemingly impossible heist on the Federal Reserve Bank of downtown Los Angeles.

MOM AND DAD
WjlsdQX.jpg

Genre: Horror Thriller

Director: Brian Taylor (Crank, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance)

Cast: Nicolas Cage, Selma Blair, Lance Henriksen, Anne Winters, Zakary Arthur,

Synopsis: Nicolas Cage and Selma Blair star in this pitch-black horror-comedy about a worldwide mass hysteria where, for 24 brutal hours, parents turn violently against their own children.

FOREVER MY GIRL
image-w856.jpg

Genre: Romance Drama

Director: Bethany Ashton Wolf (Little Chenier)

Cast: Alex Roe, Jessica Rothe, John Benjamin Hickey, Abby Ryder Fortson

Synopsis: Forever My Girl tells the story of country music super-star Liam Page (Alex Roe) who left his bride, Josie (Jessica Rothe), at the altar choosing fame and fortune instead. However, Liam never got over Josie, his one true love, nor did he ever forget his Southern roots in the small community where he was born and raised. When he unexpectedly returns to his hometown for the funeral of his high school best friend, Liam is suddenly faced with the consequences of all that he left behind.

STEP SISTERS
DPmVGmCVAAASPpw.jpg

Genre: Comedy

Director: Charles Stone III (Lila & Eve, Drumline, Mr. 3000)

Cast: Megalyn Echikunwoke, Eden Sher, Alessandra Torresani, Gage Golightly, Marque Richardson, Naturi Naughton, Ashlee Brie Gillum

Synopsis: Jamilah Bishop (Megalyn Echikunwoke) seems to excel at everything: She’s president of her sorority, captain of the step crew, liaison to the college dean and a star student who is on her way to to Harvard Law School. But when Jamilah is asked to teach a misbehaving, mostly white sorority how to step, success seems impossible. Without telling her own sorority sisters, Jamilah begins training rivals Sigma Beta Beta (SBB) for the “Steptacular” competitive dance competition.

@Slobodan Check out the trailer for Nic Cage's Mom and Dad ^. It seems to be received positively with a 74% RT score.

I guess the most interesting movies are the crazy Cage and badass cop Gerard. (dislike that they use the cent rapper)

12 strong is definitely on the list

Looking forward to Womb Raider, The Predator, Dead Pool 2, and Black Panther.

hahaha that's exactly what I was thinking. I thought maybe it was a foreign movie at first. Very rare for me to recognize zero names from a cast list.
I only recognize Megalyn Echikunwoke's name because she played Vixen in the CW Arrowverse. But her best work was in Don Cheadle's House of Lies because of... you know.

b830f107833b79390e87c80e11c4d050--live-action-cw.jpg

573f197501c88930191523-1.gif

Back