Dream fight: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Vasyl Lomachenko @ 130.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Floyd was arguably the GOAT at 130. Could Lomachenko beat him, or would Floyd be too fast and big for him?

It's a tough fight to handicap considering we've never seen Floyd fight a southpaw like Lomachenko and we've definitely never seen Lomachenko fight anyone even a little bit like Floyd. Floyd's general size advantage might be the most obvious thing to point out in his favour. Being the naturally smaller man while not having his typical speed advantage might be pretty problematic for Lomachenko. It's hard to say anything to definitive without seeing Lomachenko in with a higher class of fighter, though. He could be similarly dominant when he moves up in class, as well.

That would be awesome to watch. Same with him vs younger pacquiao

It's a tough fight to handicap considering we've never seen Floyd fight a southpaw like Lomachenko and we've definitely never seen Lomachenko fight anyone even a little bit like Floyd. Floyd's general size advantage might be the most obvious thing to point out in his favour. Being the naturally smaller man while not having his typical speed advantage might be pretty problematic for Lomachenko. It's hard to say anything to definitive without seeing Lomachenko in with a higher class of fighter, though. He could be similarly dominant when he moves up in class, as well.

Don't forget Floyd also has a 7 inch reach advantage.

Don't forget Floyd also has a 7 inch reach advantage.

I kind of filed that under natural size advantage. When Floyd was at 130 he actually weighed essentially what Lomachenko does at the weight (135-140 range), but his frame was quite a bit bigger than Lomachenko's.

I kind of filed that under natural size advantage. When Floyd was at 130 he actually weighed essentially what Lomachenko does at the weight (135-140 range), but his frame was quite a bit bigger than Lomachenko's.

I just see Floyd beating Loma to the punch all night.

I'm picking Lomachenko in this matchup. Lomachenko has demonstrated in both the amateurs and now the professionals that he can handle counterpunchers, defensive styles at the highest level with ease. He can also deal with rangy fighters easily. You need a certain style to beat Lomachenko, you need to bully him.
but was floyd at 130 really that defensive? i felt like he developed that countering style later in his career as he moved up higher in weight. early, when he was lighter, he would move forward more often.

floyd's range, speed, and accuracy would all give lomachenko a lot of problems. he was lightning fast at 130 and was landing like a sniper.

but then again, this is 2017... and lomachenko is a monster. definitely would be an intriguing fight.

I think I'd have to go with Floyd no matter how much I like Lomachenko. Floyd would be too big and that reach advantage is huge. He was just as fast as Lomachenko as well and defensively even better. It would be a great fight but I think we'd see Lomachenkos output really cut down just like when Pac fought PBF.

Yes I believe he was that defensive. Less defensive than his welterweight years but still very defensive. Watch a full fight of his that isn't Corrales from his younger days again. The problem is, many watch highlights from his younger days and think he must've been very defensive.

Who does Lomachenko fight next? No one worth watching other than Mikey Garcia.
Floyd would embarrass him.

Floyd would wait him out until he was older and slower. A prime Lomachenko vs a prime Floyd would be what prime Manny vs prime Floyd should have been but never happened.

130 Floyd at the moment.

Power and speed give Loma's plenty to think about. Then he needs to think about reach and he can't walk May down like Rigo. Eating jabs on the way in and getting tied up when he gets in. Fight will take place on the outside which is bad news for Loma.

Floyd at 130 was too fast and reach too
Much for Loma

Floyd is undefeated and would be too quick and beat Loma to the punch

It's too early for Loma yet to be making comparisons and he has a kiss already

Floyd would adapt and beat Loma

Floyd would win.

High ring IQ, highly accurate, just as slick defensively all the while, being a faster, harder puncher with a noticeable size/reach advantage.

Good fantasy matchup though.

Who does Lomachenko fight next? No one worth watching other than Mikey Garcia.

Berchelt is he only guy at 130 that would be interesting but it probably doesn't happen. Moving to 135 will probably bring more interest though.

Floyd's inside game at 130 was considerably weaker than at 140-147. Watch some of his fights from those days that required inside game, it will be quite enlightening. He would have bumped into similar problems Rigo did on the inside. Lomachenko is like a missile radar and glues to your movement.

People also forget that Floyd himself was relatively inexperienced when he was at 130lbs. He was like, 21 or 22 years old. He coasted with the help of his very superior speed and reflexes than his opponents, but would've met his match in these regards with Lomachenko.
You can watch all of those floyd fights from fight 1 to fight 50 on youtube.
Get on their and educate yourself because floyd was a monster at 130 and would absolutely demolish lomachenko. Salido beat loma you are aware?

I'm sorry but Floyd dwarfs Lomachenko in every physical attribute, speed, power, size. I dont even think it would be close Floyd was an absolute demon at 130.

Fun fight. Loma is hard to figure out. When Floyd gets the pattern, he's able to counter or beat him to the punch. As it was said before :
- Floyd definitely has a size and reach advantage
- He pretty much negates Loma's edge speedwise
- He hits harder (at 130, he could punch)
- He's not fond of inside fighting

I think Floyd takes over, but it takes him longer than usual. As I would say with Pac vs Loma at 130, I think Floyd stops Loma late, or there is a close JD.

Fun fight. Loma is hard to figure out. When Floyd gets the pattern, he's able to counter or beat him to the punch. As it was said before :
- Floyd definitely has a size and reach advantage
- He pretty much negates Loma's edge speedwise
- He hits harder (at 130, he could punch)
- He's not fond of inside fighting

I think Floyd takes over, but it takes him longer than usual. As I would say with Pac vs Loma at 130, I think Floyd stops Loma late, or there is a close JD.
Pretty much nothing to add to that.

First of all, Floyd would bring his ass up to 140 and above....

Second, Floyd would never take this fight at his age. I have No doubt he would've beat Loma earlier in his career but now...Let's just say Loma is no Conor Mcgregor

Now that would be a fight. Lets see Loma vs Mcgregor at 145. Give Conor the height, reach and size because he's gonna need that shit

Back