drilling leg locks on both sides?

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i feel in grappling theres just so much to learn that doing 1 side is all you need to do besides escapes since you cant determine which side someone decides to pass guard to so i work escapes from both sides but armlocks triangles usually to my left side

what about leg locks curious how you guys like to go about this im getitng into the leg lock stuff now and curious how you guys like to approach it

I try to do most sub drills from both sides but especially leg-locks.

As long as you can play the leg game to each side I think you're fine even if it isn't playing it the same way on both sides. So sort of like the Marcelo philosophy that it doesn't matter what game you play on each side as long as there is a game you can play on each side.

I do think that the saddle is such a dominant position that I would recommend being able to control it and hold it on both sides well enough to get the inside heel hook finish. Even if you do different entries to get there on each leg. The saddle is up there with back control in terms of dominance so if you can hold it on both of their legs that's very powerful skill to have. Other than that I think as long as you can leg pummel on both sides to keep your own legs safe that it doesn't matter too much if you prefer certtain leg positions and certain leg locks on certain sides.

Also I wanted to add that I don’t know the biomechanical reason for it but when you start getting into “shoot outs” with people where you’re pummeling your legs and jockeying for position, it’s usually difficult to stick to playing just one side. So even though I normally don’t like to drill things on both sides, with the leg game it will just happen. Even if you don’t drill it on both sides, in sparring you’ll end up working it on both sides.

A large part of leg lock defense comes from whatever leg you aren’t attacking, and being able to adjust and switch legs becomes a crucial skill. And if your own legs are being attacked then sometimes the leg of theirs that you need to attack in order to protect your own leg may not be the one you prefer attacking the most.

So more so than upper body attacks you will probably end up attacking both sides of the leg game.

yea
Also I wanted to add that I don’t know the biomechanical reason for it but when you start getting into “shoot outs” with people where you’re pummeling your legs and jockeying for position, it’s usually difficult to stick to playing just one side. So even though I normally don’t like to drill things on both sides, with the leg game it will just happen. Even if you don’t drill it on both sides, in sparring you’ll end up working it on both sides.

A large part of leg lock defense comes from whatever leg you aren’t attacking, and being able to adjust and switch legs becomes a crucial skill. And if your own legs are being attacked then sometimes the leg of theirs that you need to attack in order to protect your own leg may not be the one you prefer attacking the most.

So more so than upper body attacks you will probably end up attacking both sides of the leg game.
h with legs such crazy transitions happen when they roll that i feel you have to do both sides i hate that i normally do my single leg x on my left side but in mos dvds guys teach from the right side so have to train myself to doing it to that side for now so dont confuse myself

yea

h with legs such crazy transitions happen when they roll that i feel you have to do both sides i hate that i normally do my single leg x on my left side but in mos dvds guys teach from the right side so have to train myself to doing it to that side for now so dont confuse myself

I realized this painfully. I know marcelo has a SLX side and another side where he does a different game (at least from the old video I watched) but I would actually prefer to do SLX on both sides.

I also think once you learn it on one side it's doesn't take as long to learn it on the other. For example, I just learned how to imanari roll last week. It took a good 5-10 minutes to figure out how to invert properly to the sweep. It took me only a few minutes on the "bad" side.

Also you reminded me I need to get my leg lock game up.

i feel in grappling theres just so much to learn that doing 1 side is all you need to do besides escapes since you cant determine which side someone decides to pass guard to so i work escapes from both sides but armlocks triangles usually to my left side

what about leg locks curious how you guys like to go about this im getitng into the leg lock stuff now and curious how you guys like to approach it

I know Marcelo in his rolled up video said you only need to be good on one side (not to be misinterpreted as not needing answers on both sides).

For a different take, I heard Craig Jones on a FloGrappling interview saying he actually likes to force people to pass on their weak side to open up his leg lock opportunities. I know @mataleaos mentioned that often with leg locks you need to be able to work both sides.

Then why would Craig say he likes to force people to pass on the weak side if he's going for leg locks anyway?

As long as you can play the leg game to each side I think you're fine even if it isn't playing it the same way on both sides. So sort of like the Marcelo philosophy that it doesn't matter what game you play on each side as long as there is a game you can play on each side.

Doesn't make much sense not to reuse things things on both sides. The knowledge transfers over so you have the same figured out set of answers and drilling stuff you already known on the other side is a lot easier.

I realized this painfully. I know marcelo has a SLX side and another side where he does a different game (at least from the old video I watched) but I would actually prefer to do SLX on both sides.

I also think once you learn it on one side it's doesn't take as long to learn it on the other. For example, I just learned how to imanari roll last week. It took a good 5-10 minutes to figure out how to invert properly to the sweep. It took me only a few minutes on the "bad" side.

Also you reminded me I need to get my leg lock game up.

iv been training for 12 years now and my god it is so awkward doing moves on the otherside like armlock sweeps ect its quite embarrassing but luckly you can choose how you attack u justc ant choose how they attack as is aid i feel u only need o do leg locks and side escapes on both sides since u cant choose how they attack or defend

A learning tip I heard from the dog bros, practice moves on your "weird side" first. The skill will transfer over to your good side at a higher rate than vice versa. You'll also be tempted to stick with just repping your good side if you start with your good side. It works for me.

I know Marcelo in his rolled up video said you only need to be good on one side (not to be misinterpreted as not needing answers on both sides).

For a different take, I heard Craig Jones on a FloGrappling interview saying he actually likes to force people to pass on their weak side to open up his leg lock opportunities. I know @mataleaos mentioned that often with leg locks you need to be able to work both sides.

Then why would Craig say he likes to force people to pass on the weak side if he's going for leg locks anyway?

From his Z guard DVD, Craig as a very good Z guard from both sides, he likes to force the action to the side where the guy is the least confortable to pass. It's more to annoy the good passers than a necessity for him to use his leg locks and entries.

Regardless of what Craig attacks, most people do pass worse when they have to pass southpaw. So Craig likes to play his Z guard on that side. Even though he goes fir triangles and other attacks from there, if he does attack the legs, it’s not even that people are worse at defending leg locks on that side. If people are forced to play on a side they aren’t used to then it’s more likely they will make unforced errors of all types, and it’s essier to force them to make mistakes too. So no matter what he attacks with he has drilled so much Z guard off his left hip that it’s always going to benefit him to play it on that side. Even if he has good leg locks from Z guard on his right hip they are probably at least slightly better on his left hip since he plays from there more often.

From his Z guard DVD, Craig as a very good Z guard from both sides, he likes to force the action to the side where the guy is the least confortable to pass. It's more to annoy the good passers than a necessity for him to use his leg locks and entries.
This.

You said it more simple and better than I did.

I feel like there is a super big incentive to play half guard/Z guard/etc. on both sides rather than one as half is something that the top player often forces/you land there randomly after sweeps and scrambles. It's also a more strength based guard so I try to do positional sparring more evenly to develop less asymmetry.

This post made me realised that my two main entries to the legs end up with the leg locks on opposite sides.

From top half guard I enter with a back step into 411/saddle. I would say that 75% of the time people are on their right side while in Z guard so I lock the left leg.

My other entry is from X guard / SLX / reverse X guard to 411/saddle. I would say that also 75% of the time I enter SLX on the left leg ending up by locking the right leg.

So I need to be as good on both side with my 411 attacks

A learning tip I heard from the dog bros, practice moves on your "weird side" first. The skill will transfer over to your good side at a higher rate than vice versa. You'll also be tempted to stick with just repping your good side if you start with your good side. It works for me.

I'm really bad about doing anything from my weird side. I hate it. Today a guy started half guard from the opposite side just to try it and it fucked me up so much. I've been saying it but I think Monday I'm starting for sure. I'm just going to do everything towards my weak side until I'm just as comfortable on both sides.

Back