Drills, exercises, movements to do on your off days (bjj, wrestling)

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I recently joined a fight gym and it's basically like just full mma and bjj (but they do have adults wrestling which is good). So I only work 4 days a week (mon, fri, sat, sun [all 3.30pm to 11.30 pm] yes I know I need to work full time laugh it off lol).

So anyways I usually go in the morning or if I don't wake up in time I go for the evening classes or just come a little earlier like 4pm and just train with the fighters and ask them questions about grappling, ground and pound, and striking in general. It's been 3 years since I trained bjj regularly, i already see what everybody has over me that I don't which is grip strength.

But there are some other things like they're better at sweeps, they're good at reversing my side control, I did almost tap out a guy who outweighed me by at least 40-60 lbs (the round ended while I had him in a triangle and that shit took a lot out me, so cardio is something to work on too)

So my house that I moved too is big, not much options for a rolling partner or anything because my brother is a dumbass who won't help me even if all he has to do is let me drill the moves. Anyways the house is I think my dad told me it was 4 anchors of land, so there's a lot of space. And I work at a construction site doing security, and I sometimes go inside the construction site to shadowbox, and workout a little.

Anyways I was just letting you guys know what kind of environment I'm in most of the time. So any exercises, drills, movements anything at all that would help with my grappling? Anything out of the ordinary, or unique?

Yoga or a grappling dummy.

These drills are pretty solid too:

Yoga or a grappling dummy.

These drills are pretty solid too:

Thank you I found that video, I don't know why I didn't look on YouTube before making this thread. I've been meaning to get a grappling dummy but those shits are expensive. Maybe I will get it sometime. Thank you for the response instead of just ignoring the thread because you think it's a stupid question.

Edit: also just found a good site for getting grappling dummies.

Thank you I found that video, I don't know why I didn't look on YouTube before making this thread. I've been meaning to get a grappling dummy but those shits are expensive. Maybe I will get it sometime. Thank you for the response instead of just ignoring the thread because you think it's a stupid question.

Edit: also just found a good site for getting grappling dummies.

Haha no problem. IMO it's a bit difficult to practice BJJ solo, the closest you can get to it is to replicate and improve body movements that are directly applicable to rolling. Flexibility will also go a long way for you, plus it'll help to prevent injuries.

In your downtime away from the gym, I guess you could watch a bunch of instructionals too. But if you do that I'd focus watching videos for just one position/technique at a time. So that every time you go to the gym you'll end up remembering much more since you went with those new details in mind specifically for that one position. Otherwise, you'll just have a random hodgepodge of techniques and won't remember shit when it comes time to roll.

Haha no problem. IMO it's a bit difficult to practice BJJ solo, the closest you can get to it is to replicate and improve body movements that are directly applicable to rolling. Flexibility will also go a long way for you, plus it'll help to prevent injuries.

In your downtime away from the gym, I guess you could watch a bunch of instructionals too. But if you do that I'd focus watching videos for just one position/technique at a time. So that every time you go to the gym you'll end up remembering much more since you went with those new details in mind specifically for that one position. Otherwise, you'll just have a random hodgepodge of techniques and won't remember shit when it comes time to roll.

Alright thanks man.

Anyways I was just letting you guys know what kind of environment I'm in most of the time. So any exercises, drills, movements anything at all that would help with my grappling? Anything out of the ordinary, or unique?

BJJ solo drills with a chair, look em up. Work hip escapes by yourself. Shots. Back step. Ukemi.

I've been doing yoga for BJJ, feels great.

off days for bjj = work days. so do quick routines, like stretches/breathing or lift weight. its too cold now but if it was spring/summer i do cardio.

quick dumbbell routine is chest press, squats, rows, deadlift, lunges, kettlebell swings.

off days for bjj = work days. so do quick routines, like stretches/breathing or lift weight. its too cold now but if it was spring/summer i do cardio.

quick dumbbell routine is chest press, squats, rows, deadlift, lunges, kettlebell swings.

Yeah I'm still trying to do some cardio in the mornings (I just need to get some more sweat pants so i don't get run over or look like a fool).
BJJ solo drills with a chair, look em up. Work hip escapes by yourself. Shots. Back step. Ukemi.

I'll definitely look up those drills. Thanks.

Back