Dry leather on winning gloves

RDL81

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hello

I just brought a pair of used winning 16oz gloves they where described as being used but in excellent mint condition seller said he has them 8 months and only spared in them for 4 months rest of time they where unused. Anyway they arrived today the right hand glove is not excantly in excellent condition several areas has the leather feeling really dry I have tried to show it in the photos. What do you guys think? I am worried they will crack or is this easy to treat/fix?

Thanks

They could have been left in the sun. Did you try leather conditioner?

Not sure seller has not comeback to me yet you think leather conditioner might work? Any ideas on what sort?

Look up Cadillac Leather Conditioner on Amazon. It’s about $8 for an 8-oz bottle. That’s what I use and it works really well. It is apparently the brand Dan Mosby used to recommended for boxing gloves, which is why I use it. It will make them look a lot better.

The person before you probably never conditioned them and may have left them out in the sun some as well.

On the UK site they do a boot & shoe leather conditioner or a select premium leather lotion any ideas

I use the boot and shoe leather conditioner...just looked at my bottle. I’ve never tried the other one.

I tried this tonight those areas still corse think it might need few more applications or shall I just forget it an open eBay dispute

I tried this tonight those areas still corse think it might need few more applications or shall I just forget it an open eBay dispute
Up to you and depends how good of a deal but those definitely aren't mint. You got winning because you wanted the best and those are in sad shape. Try a few more applications and see what happens but if it were me I would be leaning towards a return.

I paid £140 for them so a fair bit less than what a new pair would cost me. It does seem a bit better now I have teated it

I’ve never seen a pair of winning gloves in person so I wouldn’t know, but based on other images they seem real
Sure they are too based on the look and feel and the label compared to my winning Headguard.....just wish that right glove leather was better

If the guy didn't properly advertise the item, and it's on ebay, I'd tell him that you aren't happy with the product. That you should get some cash back from him, 30GBP or however much depending on whatever you paid in total, or else you'll go through the returns process. And seeing as you do want to actually keep them, just keep them regardless of whether he bites or not.

Sure they are too based on the look and feel and the label compared to my winning Headguard.....just wish that right glove leather was better

How’s the foam and interior of the glove? That’s how you can tell if it’s a high mileage set. If they are as described in excellent shape then it’s a cosmetic issue that you need to ask yourself if you can live with.

How’s the foam and interior of the glove? That’s how you can tell if it’s a high mileage set. If they are as described in excellent shape then it’s a cosmetic issue that you need to ask yourself if you can live with.
Foam and padding seems ok to be honest. I guess I was more concerned it could cause the leather to split

Yes that is the million dollar question. Unfortunately only you can assess that as it takes product in hand to evaluate. Leather can be surprisingly resilient once it has been rehydrated so to speak. Trust your judgment.

Back