Dude was rolling with an ankle monitor in class today

I believe their are stipulations for being under house arrest, unless the person is a professional fighter who needs to train to make a living, I would THINK (I do not know), that going to Jiu Jitsu Practice would be a violation of the rules of house arrest.

it will impact you directly or indirectly.

Exactly. Gym culture is huge.

Every single person who trains at your place is contributing a piece to your gym culture. You need to make sure you are getting the right people to make the atmosphere you want.

The gym I'm at is hardly some goody goody gym, but we still have to draw the line. We've kicked people out for getting into off the mat trouble repeatedly. We don't want that to become part of what we are about.

Exactly. Gym culture is huge.

Every single person who trains at your place is contributing a piece to your gym culture. You need to make sure you are getting the right people to make the atmosphere you want.

The gym I'm at is hardly some goody goody gym, but we still have to draw the line. We've kicked people out for getting into off the mat trouble repeatedly. We don't want that to become part of what we are about.

I know a few gyms that have open doors policy and some people are cool with it especially after TV series like SOA etc...

But then I starts seeing lot of supporter t shirts and students getting patched.

Too much for me.

I give a discount to police officer to train at my club instead.

I think the issue is on the policy of your service provider and how it impacts the customers.

If your gym let criminals trains, it will impact you directly or indirectly.

I know of gyms that are open to let gang members train. In fact, they get private donations as well.
Now you might think that there is nothing wrong by letting a few guys train in your gym.

But it does not stop there, they will use your gym to recruit people or just sell them drugs.

I mean where do you draw the line?

Do you know want to be to known as the guy that train at that gym that let drug dealers train?

It all starts slowly and almost innocent like letting someone on a bracelet do a few hours of training to the ramification s of who they are doing the favor to and why.
You make a lot of great posts in this forum, but none of the bold stuff actually happens.

Regarding the rest of it, my post was pretty clearly in jest.

You make a lot of great posts in this forum, but none of the bold stuff actually happens.

Regarding the rest of it, my post was pretty clearly in jest.

What do you mean?

Gyms that let gang members train?

none of the bold stuff actually happens.

I know of at least one gym in the US where that stuff was happening. Haven't heard of them in a while so they probably closed down. This was about 10 years ago.

It was an MT gym that was run by a Neo Nazi gang. The owner was a member of the gang and so were the majority of people training there. It was definitely known as a gang gym in the area.

Most people avoided the place because of the racist gang affiliation. But it also attracted a few people specifically because of that.

I know of at least one gym in the US where that stuff was happening. Haven't heard of them in a while so they probably closed down. This was about 10 years ago.

It was an MT gym that was run by a Neo Nazi gang. The owner was a member of the gang and so were the majority of people training there. It was definitely known as a gang gym in the area.

Most people avoided the place because of the racist gang affiliation. But it also attracted a few people specifically because of that.
lol I bolded the wrong stuff. My bad.

I'm saying gangs aren't infiltrating your gym to poach your members. The Foot Clan isn't real, lads.

What do you mean?

Gyms that let gang members train?
My phone is acting up and I bolded the wrong stuff, then messed up the quote insert replying to you. My bad! Refer to my earlier post though.

lol I bolded the wrong stuff. My bad.

I'm saying gangs aren't infiltrating your gym to poach your members. The Foot Clan isn't real, lads.

Oh I see.

OK.

Gang members need to learn how to fight.

I live in a country where people don't carry guns.

So where do you go to learn how to fight?..

In you are a known gang member, there is only a few gym that would be sympathic enough to let you in.

Also. Once they are in the gym. A gang needs young males that can fight for them. This is prime location to pick and recruit.

You might have a different concept of what is a gang.

Oh I see.

OK.

In you are a known gang member, there is only a few gym that would be sympathic enough to let you in.

Also. Once they are in the gym. A gang needs young males that can fight for them. This is prime location to pick and recruit.

I know way more than I care to about gangs, but I'm in America. If you live elsewhere, where guns aren't prevalent, then I'm sure it's quite different.

That's not how gangs recruit here though.

Just to be clear... the guy with ankle bracelet was on the team for years. Cesar knew his situation. Most people knew the circumstances of his arrest. If somebody just walked in off the street it might be a different matter. We have many cops on our team as well. Cops, doctors, ex cons (cons), teachers and bouncers.... we make up a some what disfunctional but happy family.

Oh I see.

OK.

I live in a country where people do carry guns, and live in a neighborhood where both the kids and people on probation could use a positive, healthy community. From my perspective, I don't see the miniscule chance of recruitment outweighing the benefits of training jiu-jitsu.
Do you still need to enforce a code of conduct, even off the mat? Absolutely. But I've seen more drama from training partners fucking than anyone with an ankle monitor.
I think we have the same definition of gang, but a different idea of what this art and sport can accomplish.

Just to clarify why i posted this, I dont care about a "criminal" I just care about a hunk of metal hitting me while rolling. Thats why I was surprised he was allowed to roll

I thought jiu-jitsu was for everyone, bro.
would you send your kids to a gym if you know one of the members wears ankle monitor because he was convicted for child molestation?
what if you are a cop/prosecutor/judge? would you roll with a dirt bag?
do you want to turn your gym into a gang banger hangout and eventually becomes a target for drivebys?

I've seen a lot of people with criminal records use BJJ as a means to help turn their life around. My gym I've had cops training with guys they had arrested before and end up becoming friends. Cops, criminals, doctors, engineers all on the same mat is one of my favorite parts of Bjj

I live in a country where people do carry guns, and live in a neighborhood where both the kids and people on probation could use a positive, healthy community. From my perspective, I don't see the miniscule chance of recruitment outweighing the benefits of training jiu-jitsu.
Do you still need to enforce a code of conduct, even off the mat? Absolutely. But I've seen more drama from training partners fucking than anyone with an ankle monitor.
I think we have the same definition of gang, but a different idea of what this art and sport can accomplish.

If you are the instructor and you let gang members in your gym, there is chance they will recruit and sell drugs.

You might say that the chance of the above happening is really slim.

But are you willing to take that risk and introduce that environment to your students.

Let put this way, what happen when a concerned parent calls you out on your policy when his son gets involved with a gang member that you let in?

If you are the instructor and you let gang members in your gym, there is chance they will recruit and sell drugs.

You might say that the chance of the above happening is really slim.

But are you willing to take that risk and introduce that environment to your students.

Let put this way, what happen when a concerned parent calls you out on your policy when his son gets involved with a gang member that you let in?

That wouldn't happen. As I said, I'm not going to let people train if that's their MO. If a parent was concerned about the type of person rather than a specific incident, then I would tell them they should look for another gym for their kid. I've never regretted losing money for something I believe in.
And to answer your question directly, I am willing to risk the very very small chance of that kind of activity slipping by me in order to build an inclusive team.

You're from NZ, right? What experience have you had that gives you your perspective? I ask because all my experience, personally and professionally, is that these 'shady' people are training to improve their lives and get some positive direction, not use the gym as a recruiting ground.

That wouldn't happen. As I said, I'm not going to let people train if that's their MO. If a parent was concerned about the type of person rather than a specific incident, then I would tell them they should look for another gym for their kid. I've never regretted losing money for something I believe in.
And to answer your question directly, I am willing to risk the very very small chance of that kind of activity slipping by me in order to build an inclusive team.

You're from NZ, right? What experience have you had that gives you your perspective? I ask because all my experience, personally and professionally, is that these 'shady' people are training to improve their lives and get some positive direction, not use the gym as a recruiting ground.

You are talking about not worrying about losing money.

I am talking about looking after the people that are spending money.

I already explained in previous posts about gym and their owner that have an open door policy to gang members.

Props to you for having an open door policy.

Edit: the fact that you would give up on that kid and his concerned parent over a gang members says it all.

Last edited:
would you send your kids to a gym if you know one of the members wears ankle monitor because he was convicted for child molestation?
what if you are a cop/prosecutor/judge? would you roll with a dirt bag?
do you want to turn your gym into a gang banger hangout and eventually becomes a target for drivebys?
Man, I forgot how bad the general sense of humor was in this forum.

If you are talking about at risk kids, I would agree 100%, but most at risk kids can not afford the prices of a Jiu Jitsu school. Truthfully once a person develops their formative personality traits, they rarely change. There are exceptions, but it is rare. Once someone is an adult it is usually too late.

Back