Dumbest thing you've heard in the gym.....

NuTzOnSwOll

Purple Belt
Reaction score
from stupid advice, action , habits whatever. Shit that just had you scratching your head and wondering if you were you.

p.s- only REAL life ones....NOT ones from Sherdog.....the list would be endless !

:icon_lol:

from stupid advice, action , habits whatever. Shit that just had you scratching your head and wondering if you were you.

p.s- only REAL life ones....NOT ones from Sherdog.....the list would be endless !

:icon_lol:

I remember one of my older kung fu brothers telling me not to bother with axe kicks, because they were ineffective. Most of them seemed to be anti-kick period, him a little less than others.

"If someone is coming at you with a hook, you can knee him before he hits you, thus knocking him off balance and making the punch not hurt."

If you train much everyone hears something pretty stupid thing at some point, nothing seems to come to mind for me though. Must have just disregarded it whatever it was.

"if someone tries to get me in a stupid thai thing were they hold the back of you're head i would push them of with my big triceps"

roundhouse kicks just dont work on the street, i can see them comming a mile away and then id just catch it simple as that

Oh man, let's see if I can remember a few...

First boxing club I was ever a part of, don't even remember what I was doing at the time, but two young guys were standing by the scale, doing curls then weighing themselves, over and over. Why? Because, as they said, they will weigh more after lifting the weight!

"If someone is coming at you with a hook, you can knee him before he hits you, thus knocking him off balance and making the punch not hurt."

Doesn't sound that un reasonable to me, as long as you keep your hands up. If you throw a jab and it lands on a dude throwing a huge haymaker it will take a lot of the force off of his punch so even if his lands too you will be ok.

I was helping a new guy once, this was MMA striking technique class and he was a tkd guy. After a while of us chatting about the similiarities and differences between tkd and Japanese kickboxing (mostly about philosophy) the guy (thai boxer) at the station next to ours starts joining the conversation. When he finds out the newbie used to do tkd he says "Yeah, tae kwon do kicks are flashy al right, but when I kick I like to keep both feet on the ground".

During one of my muay thai classes we were doing kicks on the heavy bags and one of the amateur fighters next to me told the instructor he couldn't kick the bag because it hurt his shins....

In muay thai, before class I was talking to the instructor and one of the students in the beginner class comes up to him and ask him when we are gonna start kicking trees.

The dumbest thing I've heard must've been this insanely ugly guy telling me he had a date with a hot blonde.

A guy who's been doing muay thai for years at my gym with virtually no improvement whatsoever shows a bunch of 1st day students how to throw the teep and said "you have to land your whole foot on his stomach to get the most power out of it"

Wearing socks is the dumbest thing I continue to see in my MT classes.

1st time students show up ready to train and learn to fight, but they don't want to get their feet dirty??

Our teacher tells people to take their socks off and most do, but a few stubborn people here and there refuse...and it's not like we can force them.
But seriously, why wear socks??? I just dont get it.

New guy: Yea, I have this friend who is a certified MMA instructor and a cage figher wanting to come down (to our training center)
Me: Certified? Ohh. So being a certified fighter and trainer he's probably pretty good?(smelled the bs)
New guy: He trained me some and he's really good
Me: ( seeing this kid on the bag LOL) Where or who is this kid certified from
New guy: Internet
Me: Bullshit
This kid was coming around and watching us train for like 2 weeks. He was goofy as fuck. Ended up getting arrested, but man the stories this motherfucker could generate were crazy.

Last edited:
This kid i know, One time a state boy tried to arrest me, so I told him to take the badge and gun off and handle this like a man. Long story short and like 8 backups later the kid was in the cruiser.....It's amazing how police are always gettin beatdown but manage to call for backup while being hit with flying triangles and shit

Any time anyone tells an actual trainer with actual experience about "their way" of doing things.

Doesn't sound that un reasonable to me, as long as you keep your hands up. If you throw a jab and it lands on a dude throwing a huge haymaker it will take a lot of the force off of his punch so even if his lands too you will be ok.

How do you propose throwing a knee and keeping your hands up to protect your chin? You'll never get any distance or power on the knee, and you won't have balance unless you throw your hands forwards or drop one. And since the hook is coming around your guard, dropping a hand or using them to balance is a bad idea.

"if someone tries to get me in a stupid thai thing were they hold the back of you're head i would push them of with my big triceps"

you had to have heard that on some body building forum. No one is that dumb

Guy walks in off the street "I'm here to spar {insert name of local boxer}".
Trainer "he's not here...piss off!".

oh the joys of a boxing gym. lol

Back