Dumbest thing you've heard in the gym.....

yeah my instructor was a farang but his dad was stationed over in thailand so he grew up over there and learnt the art that way, was doing it way before the MMA scene so the style he taught wasn't watered down as much as other muay thai styles being taught that are apart of an MMA gym.

MMA guy was early and observing the black belt Taekwondo class doing back kicks and said "I could teach you guys about that kick." my instructor said "What receiving it?".

Last edited:
During sparring (Muay Thai): "What are you doing?! You're only allowed to throw open palmed strikes during sparring!"

You know, that actually causes more problems than it solves. I remember once doing what was supposed to be a light open-palm striking session with a training partner,, with the idea being, and I remember someone (don't remember who) saying "Open palms can't hurt you." In two minutes it descended into a full on old-school Pancrase fight. The best part was that my boy, who had a fight that week, got a black eye from the Funaki action. (He won his fight BTW)

Needless to say, we never did that again.

Last edited:
Back