Duncan/Pop = Greatest Player/Coach tandem ever

10000 Days

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
This is my 1,001st post.

Speaking of 1,001, Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich has won 1,001 games together, the most ever for a player-coach duo in NBA history (not sure about sports history though, source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2016/07/11/tim-duncan-by-the-numbers/#b5d1bd0307c4). Has never missed the playoffs for their 19 years together, and won 5 championships in 3 different decades.

Do you think Duncan/Pop is a better duo than Brady/Belichick?

Screen-Shot-2016-07-13-at-10.23.10-AM-compressed.png

Last edited:
Can't speak for third world sports, but in North America I can't think of a more dominant duo. From the 40's - 60's the Montreal Canadiens were probably the most domninant team in pro sports history but we're playing in a 6 team league so doesn't hold nearly the same weight as the Spurs doing it in a post expansion NBA.

I'm sure some of the poorer posters can educate us on soccer/cricket/rugby or whatever else they watch

Winning 10 titles against a bunch of white guys with full time jobs in the pre expansion era is about as impressive as locking down the 8th seed in the East this year.
That's must be why Wilt has so many titles, oh wait....

I think they even won 50 games in a lockout shortened season one year....

They're the goat. 19 or 20 consecutive playoff runs?

bruh

I think they even won 50 games in a lockout shortened season one year....

They're the goat. 19 or 20 consecutive playoff runs?

bruh
Pure domination. Crazy to think that the last 19 finals have had either Duncan, LeBron, kobe, and D.J. Mbenga playing

Tough to compare different sports like that. But, if we're going that route, I'll say Jordan/Jackson, then Pop/Duncan, then Brady/Belichick

Soon it will be Hammon/Leonard

and to think, pitino expected to write his story book ending with duncan. somehow I doubt "leaving camelot" still qualifies as "the biggest mistake of his life".

giphy.gif

I agree that was lucky, I am not even a laker fan. The answer to your thread is obv or is it only open to spurs v patriots?

Nope, argument is open for all coach/player tandems. PJax/MJ has a case because of their 6 titles, but 19 straight winning seasons in one team is just incredible.

Also, I'm a Laker fan, and that shot by DFish was one for the ages. That and Big Shot Bob's top of the key buzzer beater against the 2002 Kings.

Winning 10 titles against a bunch of white guys with full time jobs in the pre expansion era is about as impressive as locking down the 8th seed in the East this year.

Now it makes sense. You're a Celtics hater.

nos_medium.gif
Nope, argument is open for all coach/player tandems. PJax/MJ has a case because of their 6 titles, but 19 straight winning seasons in one team is just incredible.

Also, I'm a Laker fan, and that shot by DFish was one for the ages. That and Big Shot Bob's top of the key buzzer beater against the 2002 Kings.

19 seasons is amazing, but the fact that Jordan and Kobe have 6 and 5 rings makes me give the edge to Brady who has the most rings for any QB. What they are doing in football is unsurpassed. And I am not a NE fan.

Back