International Duterte Harry v3: Philippines Tells U.S. It Will End Military Cooperation Deal

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/24/opinion/fake-news-philippines.html
Fake News Floods the Philippines

MANILA — Yen Makabenta, a veteran journalist now at The Manila Times, wrote a prominent column last month about the American ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, who enthusiastically praised President Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines. “The Philippines is suffocating,” Mr. Makabenta quoted the ambassador as saying. “We must give President Duterte the space to run his nation.” Ms. Haley, he reported, warned of “destructive forces” that “have calibrated their plot to ouster movements” against Mr. Duterte.

Mr. Duterte no doubt appreciated Ms. Haley’s support. The only problem: It wasn’t true. Mr. Makabenta had based his column on a fake story from a website whose web address, grammatical errors and far-fetched assertions should have made clear that it was a counterfeit of Al Jazeera.

As it has around the world, the internet in the Philippines has become a morass of fake news and conspiracy theories, harassment and bullying. This has muddied public discourse and cultivated a populist attitude toward democracy. What is true, or legal, is no longer important as long as the majority supports it. Responsibility has been discarded for partisanship.

Since well before the presidential election last year, a multitude of dubious independent news sites, counterfeits of established news outlets and blatantly partisan blogs have supported Mr. Duterte. They have featured fake endorsements from leaders like Pope Francis (“chosen by God”), Emmanuel Macron (“role model”) and Angela Merkel (“a giant”). Celebrities who have offered praise, according to fake news, include Angelina Jolie, Dwayne Johnson and Arnold Schwarzenegger (who was said to have called Mr. Duterte “a real starring fighter”). Even NASA purportedly named him “the best president in the solar system.”

The fake news isn’t always complimentary. An opposition politician was said to be “recruiting soldiers for a coup.” Vice President Leni Robredo, of the opposition Liberal Party, had supposedly met with Ban Ki-moon, the United Nations secretary general at the time, to conspire to remove the president.

Duterte claims stabbing someone when he was a teenager
http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/11/09/17/duterte-claims-stabbing-someone-when-he-was-a-teenager

MANILA—President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday said he stabbed someone when he was a teenager, in yet another revelation from the tough-talking leader.

Duterte made the claim as he was defending his war on illegal drugs, which has earned him international condemnation due to the thousands of deaths attributed to it.

The president said he was not afraid of being locked up, noting he had been in and out of jail when he was a teenager after being involved in altercations, including one where he stabbed to death someone when he was 16.

“Kulong, eh noong teenager ako labas-pasok ako sa kulungan. Rambol dito . . . at the age of 16, may pinatay na ako,” Duterte told a number of Filipinos in Da Nang, Vietnam, where he is attending the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit.

"Tao talaga. Rambol. Saksak. Noong 16 years old iyon, nagkatinginan lang,” he added.

Duterte said if he had not been afraid of getting jailed as a teenager, all the more that he has nothing to worry about now that he is the most powerful man in the Philippines.

“Eh lalo na ako ngayong presidente na ako. You f**k with my countrymen, 'di kita papalusutin. Bahala na kayong human rights," he said.

Malacañang has yet to confirm whether Duterte’s latest claim was just said in jest or not.

Previously, the president had claimed shooting suspected criminals as mayor of Davao City.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/11/09/17/duterte-claims-stabbing-someone-when-he-was-a-teenager

Duterte claims stabbing someone when he was a teenager

MANILA—President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday said he stabbed someone when he was a teenager, in yet another revelation from the tough-talking leader.

Duterte made the claim as he was defending his war on illegal drugs, which has earned him international condemnation due to the thousands of deaths attributed to it.

The president said he was not afraid of being locked up, noting he had been in and out of jail when he was a teenager after being involved in altercations, including one where he stabbed to death someone when he was 16.

“Kulong, eh noong teenager ako labas-pasok ako sa kulungan. Rambol dito . . . at the age of 16, may pinatay na ako,” Duterte told a number of Filipinos in Da Nang, Vietnam, where he is attending the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit.

"Tao talaga. Rambol. Saksak. Noong 16 years old iyon, nagkatinginan lang,” he added.

Duterte said if he had not been afraid of getting jailed as a teenager, all the more that he has nothing to worry about now that he is the most powerful man in the Philippines.

“Eh lalo na ako ngayong presidente na ako. You f**k with my countrymen, 'di kita papalusutin. Bahala na kayong human rights," he said.

Malacañang has yet to confirm whether Duterte’s latest claim was just said in jest or not.

Previously, the president had claimed shooting suspected criminals as mayor of Davao City.

What is Duterte thinking by revealing that now?

He definitely should have saved that tidbit of Bisayan awesomeness for re-election time, to lock down his voter base...like he did with rape jokes and murder humble brags last election.

He definitely should have saved that tidbit of Bisayan awesomeness for re-election time, to lock down his voter base...like he did with rape jokes and murder humble brags last election.

Best president in the Solar System!

#OBOSEN

#RevolutionaryGovernmentnow!

Well looks like Duterte has forgot his meds again.

Duterte seems to hate criticism he should take a look at Donald Trump has been criticized by the media 24/7. Had Duterte been in Trumps shoes Duterte might already have died.

"These white people, those from EU, the ignorant Americans, pretending to be, this Obama. You are so black and arrogant.) [He] reprimanded me. Why do you reprimand me? I'm the president of a country," - DUTERTE

Resuming rebuke of Obama, Duterte calls him 'black, arrogant'
http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2...rebuke-obama-duterte-calls-him-black-arrogant

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Rodrigo Duterte blasted former US President Barack Obama anew, calling him "black" and "arrogant" in a speech before a Filipino community on the sidelines of a regional summit in Vietnam.

Aside from Obama, Duterte also launched a volley of verbal tirades against his Western critics such some Europeans and Americans who called on the government to take steps to end drug-related killings and cases of human rights abuses alleged to have marred the government's war on drugs.

The chief executive said that he resented these international criticisms since he was the leader of a sovereign nation representing its people.

"Itong mga puti, mga taga-EU, itong mga ignorante ng mga Amerikano, pretending to be pati itong si Obama. Itim-itim mo mayabang ka. Siya man yun. (These white people, those from EU, the ignorant Americans, pretending to be, this Obama. You are so black and arrogant.) [He] reprimanded me. Why do you reprimand me? I'm the president of a country," Duterte angrily said.

One of many tirades
In September last year, the foul-mouthed chief executive called the then American leader "son of a b****" and warned Obama to be respectful should they meet at a regional forum in Laos.

"You must be respectful. Do not just throw away questions and statements. Son of a whore, I will curse you in that forum," Duterte said then before departing for Laos.

US finds unlikely ally in Vietnam as a former partner tilts to China

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/09/asia/trump-vietnam-philippines/index.html

Last edited:
I have a friend (ex girlfriend...) who spent a lot of her formative years in the Philippines and is an ace graduate student at a certain highly ranked national university...

A very intelligent as well as practical woman when it comes to politics.

She is in favor of Durete, mainly, as most Westerners can not relate to the kind of corruption and cronyism that goes on in Philippines and the constant grind of hierarchical life, poverty, and broken authority.

She sees Durete as a flawed tool to fix that system. I might disagree, but that is the popular and familiar sentiment. Durete "fights for us!," and I believe he really does, more so than other populists out there.

But where does this always end? Does Manilla need a John Wayne to clean out the dirty gutters of a debased society that lords over what are really wonderful and selfless people?

I guess the most important thing to consider is Durete's character, will he become the corruption, or was he the corruption to begin with? I don't know enough to understand that, but, when it comes to projecting our neu-ideas of how a country or a culture should work, when the Philippines is several steps back in that development.

Well, rather than our screaming from the left about abuses (hypocritically, as always, the silence from Venezuela is staggering...) or worrying on the right about how we can drain a few more dollars off the cent from Manila by propping up a criminal civil system, I would say we actually live up to the multicultural mantra the left/right pretends to support and condemn bad behavior, but judiciously and within the lines for what has always been a good friend.

I have a friend (ex girlfriend...) who spent a lot of her formative years in the Philippines and is an ace graduate student at a certain highly ranked national university...

A very intelligent as well as practical woman when it comes to politics.

She is in favor of Durete, mainly, as most Westerners can not relate to the kind of corruption and cronyism that goes on in Philippines and the constant grind of hierarchical life, poverty, and broken authority.

She sees Durete as a flawed tool to fix that system. I might disagree, but that is the popular and familiar sentiment. Durete "fights for us!," and I believe he really does, more so than other populists out there.

But where does this always end? Does Manilla need a John Wayne to clean out the dirty gutters of a debased society that lords over what are really wonderful and selfless people?

I guess the most important thing to consider is Durete's character, will he become the corruption, or was he the corruption to begin with? I don't know enough to understand that, but, when it comes to projecting our neu-ideas of how a country or a culture should work, when the Philippines is several steps back in that development.

Well, rather than our screaming from the left about abuses (hypocritically, as always, the silence from Venezuela is staggering...) or worrying on the right about how we can drain a few more dollars off the cent from Manila by propping up a criminal civil system, I would say we actually live up to the multicultural mantra the left/right pretends to support and condemn bad behavior, but judiciously and within the lines for what has always been a good friend.

His administration is no better in terms of corruption they are just starting and this admin has already released a few corrupt officials from previous administrations that have been jailed from corruption charges and his appointees are already involved in smuggling like the case of the customs department about the shipment of Crystal meth to the Philippines.

That argument about "westerners don't understand the level of corruption in the Philippines" is just a cop out a rebuttal that severely lacks any intelligent reasoning and only shows how gullible the Filipinos have become.

Westerners do understand how corrupt the Philippines and now they are seeing the fruits of that decades of corruption now that we have elected a foul mouth leader after we have elected mentally handicap president.

The President have appointed a night club dancer stripper as part of the Presidential communications office secretary, and this president have spewed blatant lies like no other in the history of Philippine presidency and have made statements that is so ridiculous that you would think it is a parody.

Duterte fanatics are no different from the fanatics of the previous administration they support a cult personality even if the politician is no longer delivering on his campaign promises, Taxes have increased, Peso has fallen, commidities and utilities have increased.

His administration is no better in terms of corruption they are just starting and this admin has already released a few corrupt officials from previous administrations that have been jailed from corruption charges and his appointees are already involved in smuggling like the case of the customs department about the shipment of Crystal meth to the Philippines.

That argument about "westerners don't understand the level of corruption in the Philippines" is just a cop out a rebuttal that severely lacks any intelligent reasoning and only shows how gullible the Filipinos have become.

Westerners do understand how corrupt the Philippines and now they are seeing the fruits of that decades of corruption now that we have elected a foul mouth leader after we have elected mentally handicap president.

The President have appointed a night club dancer stripper as part of the Presidential communications office secretary, and this president have spewed blatant lies like no other in the history of Philippine presidency and have made statements that is so ridiculous that you would think it is a parody.

Duterte fanatics are no different from the fanatics of the previous administration they support a cult personality even if the politician is no longer delivering on his campaign promises, Taxes have increased, Peso has fallen, commidities and utilities have increased.

I can tell you understand the situation, and respect your insight.

However, is it fair to blame the Philippines people to such an extend? They have one of the strictest hierarchical cultures in the world, everything is follow the leader, and looking for a "big boss" leader seems like the only alternative to a lot of people.

How can things be changed in your estimation?

I can tell you understand the situation, and respect your insight.

However, is it fair to blame the Philippines people to such an extend? They have one of the strictest hierarchical cultures in the world, everything is follow the leader, and looking for a "big boss" leader seems like the only alternative to a lot of people.

How can things be changed in your estimation?

You got it we cant blame the voters you are right that we have that sort of hierarchical culture.

Oh I really dont know if that sort of culture can be changed at all. I know a lot of well educated people who are supporting politicians based on a cult of a personality. So I am not sure better education will be the solution people should just learn not to worship politicians like they are these infaliable deities immune to criticism.

Duterte will be president for Six years he can still do some good and stop bad mouthing anyone who shows criticism of his policies.

You got it we cant blame the voters you are right that we have that sort of hierarchical culture.

Oh I really dont know if that sort of culture can be changed at all. I know a lot of well educated people who are supporting politicians based on a cult of a personality. So I am not sure better education will be the solution people should just learn not to worship politicians like they are these infaliable deities immune to criticism.

Duterte will be president for Six years he can still do some good and stop bad mouthing anyone who shows criticism of his policies.

I think it can be changed, but, what are the sources of these attitudes as you see it?

Too permissive of crime? No responsibility to take action? Please share what you can.

I'm over here in the Philippinian islands right now on a business trip. This place has improved a lot since the last time I've been here. Duterte really cleaned house.

I think it can be changed, but, what are the sources of these attitudes as you see it?

Too permissive of crime? No responsibility to take action? Please share what you can.

Filipinos despite the crime and violence being reported by the media are generally not overly aggressive despite the massive poverty here we don't have huge riots and waves of violence like what happened in other third world countries.

In short we are too forgiving but at the same time we have too much pride and we lash out right away at any criticism its like self introspection is a taboo here.

Duterte is not the problem he is just a symptom of an ongoing societal crisis plaguing the Philippines since the late 70s, common decency have went down more and more children are rude and into criminal behavior from an early age.

Maybe some westerners are asking why on earth the Filipino's have to choose between traditional corrupt establishment politicians and a foul mouth hoodlum like Mayor for the Presidency? And why would the people elect such a very rude president? Sadly but a lot of people in the country are rude to each other and many Filipinos are in denial that our social morality have went down the drain, kids in public are disrespectful, noisy neighbors, people who will pee on your property, park in-front of your drive way.

Its like a lot of Filipinos don't have any regard to their fellows and it has become some what accepted by the mainstream society.

Despite all the ills of Filipino Society the Schools are not addressing this we have a civics and Culture class starting grade school there we are taught traditional and western/Christian Values, it is also emphasized that Filipino's are generally polite and hospitable people but one thing that is never mentioned that this culture is almost non existent to some degree, no school teacher have insisted that Filipino Society is outright undisciplined and rude and that we must ensure not be like the general public that is rude.

This is how the educational system has failed us, we keep telling our selves that we are good and friendly people even though that is not entirely true one must accept and admit its faults and erring ways first to improve.

I remember that pay-for-protest was a thing like 10 to 12 years ago in the Philippines. I don't know if it is still like that, but I would assume it would be no problem at all for the government to mobilize 5-10 thousand people to demonstrate in support of Duterte.

Would he even have to pay people? Isn't this guy super popular over there?

Even Fox news has reported Duterte's racist remarks against Obama.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/1...rodrigo-duterte-stabbed-someone-to-death.html

I enjoyed the comments section so much low I.Q comments.

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte: I stabbed someone to death, Obama is 'so black and arrogant'

“These white people, those from [the European Union], the ignorant Americans, pretending to be, this Obama,” Duterte said, according to The Philippine Star. “You are so black and arrogant. [He] reprimanded me. Why you reprimand me? I’m the president of a country.”

these protests look eerily similar to the pussy protests after Trump got elected last year.

always financed by outside parties with special interests.

special interests in the phillipines? hmmm.... wonder what three letter agency that could be?

Last edited:

Wow, I never really contemplated the notion Duterte ruling the Philippines in Beijing's honor for another 11 years.

Wow, I never really contemplated the notion Duterte ruling the Philippines in Beijing's honor for another 11 years.

Looks like there will be a Philippine revolution soon, Duterte supporters are calling for the establishment of a revolutionary government, Press Duterte in the past have said he will declare a revolutionary government if the violence and attempts to destabilize the government continues.

23621148_1632255906890019_8233293398124931278_n.jpg

Philippines: Commission On Human Rights Budget Dropped To $20
By Sean Farlow | September 13th, 2017

president-rodrigo-duterte-preen-e1462878578448.jpg

The public body investigating Philippine’s war on drugs and other human rights cases will get a huge drop in its budget for 2018. Lawmakers have voted to give the Commission on Human Rights an annual budget of $20. The commission is investigating the war on drugs that began when President Duterte took office.

The war on drugs has left thousands of people dead and critics say the budget drop is being proposed because the commission has criticized it.

The budget drop received major support in Congress, with 119 votes in favor and 32 against it. The budget drop requires approval in the Senate but opponents say it will likely be approved since President Duterte has the majority in Congress and Senate.

The war on drugs, which began last year, is looking to end the drug trade in the country. The move has been heavily criticized since thousands have been killed. The commission has been investigating and criticizing the war on drugs.

The commission requested a budget of $34 million for 2018 but the government requested a drop, which was less than half of what the commission had asked for. They now voted for a huge drop, which will leave the commission with a budget of just $20 for 2018 if approved. This year’s budget for the commission was $14.7 million. The budget drop was proposed in the second meeting of the Congress.

The Speaker of the House called the commission useless and asked them during an interview why they needed to get a budget from the government if they were not doing their job.

The huge budget drop for next year still needs to be approved by the Senate but since the government holds the majority in Congress and Senate, opponents believe it will likely happen. Critics say this would bring an end to the commission, which is currently investigating the controversial war on drugs that began in June 2016.

http://gazettereview.com/2017/09/philippines-commission-human-rights-budget-dropped-20/

Back