EA is ‘building a Netflix for video games’

EA is ‘building a Netflix for video games’

...full of microtransactions.

This. EA is reading the tea leaves. Anyone who is rational can see this.

Why? We've seen it happen, now, twice, in the two other major entertainment media: (1) Music (2) Movies

Madmick those are different business models, delivery systems and consumption type to what EA is proposing.

Lol, EA can't make a good game.. What makes you think they're going to be able to make this work?

It will be a very long time before this happens. Comcast has data caps and I come close to hitting 1TB every month. I have to connect my PC to a Comcast hotspot to download games so I can keep my data cap low.

Not to mention all the other issues involved with this. I think they will go this route but downloading games will always be an option. I play off line all the time and I have a media server setup with all my movies and TV shows as well. It just helps save me with the data caps.

EA will find a way to turn this into a microtransaction shit show

It's an interesting idea, though I'm not sure I'm on board, especially with EA at the helm. It's hard enough to get through all the games I have meow, and for me I don't think it would make sense financially to be paying a flat fee every month for video games. I'm millimeters away at any given time from killing my Netflix subscription as it is.

I'll never pay purchase price to rent computer software and I'll never do the same for video games.

What happens when Activision, Ubisoft and Bethesda all want 10 bucks a month for there own sub fee. And already paying for Game Pass and Sonys and Nintendos (obviously coming) rental service.

Its gonna be subscriptions all over the place.

Don't stream music. Don't stream movies. Don't like to rely on internet connection. Prefer to actually own my content so I can use it when I want.

Wendell's talked about it a couple of times, his thoughts are doing it like Blizzard does with there games. You can launch a game immediately, but you can only load certain levels and the rest load in the background while you're playing.
Makes sense. It's still going to be incredibly difficult to achieve latency figures that are realistic for competitive multiplayer. I imagine the people who are solving that problem probably drive luxurious cars home from work.

What happens when Activision, Ubisoft and Bethesda all want 10 bucks a month for there own sub fee. And already paying for Game Pass and Sonys and Nintendos (obviously coming) rental service.

Its gonna be subscriptions all over the place.
The same thing that is already happening (and continues to happen) with streaming video. You'll have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube TV, HBO, DisneyXD, etc.

What happens is choice, and the choice is yours. Stop bitching. Wait until there's something to bitch about to pop off.

The same thing that is already happening (and continues to happen) with streaming video. You'll have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, YouTube TV, HBO, DisneyXD, etc.

What happens is choice, and the choice is yours. Stop bitching. Wait until there's something to bitch about to pop off.

Who was bitching? Not I. Keep witch hunting though, troll. All I was saying was, competitors are going to release their own services and the market is going to be flooded.

Choice is an option I never said it was not. But the loot box fiasco proves that the majority of gamers are exploitative and incapable of self-control. So this is gonna bleed gamers dry to subscribe when these services do eventually launch.

You are the cringiest mod on this board.

Who was bitching? Not I. Keep witch hunting though, troll. All I was saying was, competitors are going to release their own services and the market is going to be flooded.

Choice is an option I never said it was not. But the loot box fiasco proves that the majority of gamers are exploitative and incapable of self-control. So this is gonna bleed gamers dry to subscribe when these services do eventually launch.

You are the cringiest mod on this board.
I would be the second cringiest, though, if you didn't get thrown out, wouldn't I?

<Jaime01>

Please, it's too late to pretend you weren't bitching, and...
You sound poor.
Rhetorical questions are not actually questions, and you don't even pretend to disown your complaint that "the market will be flooded". Flooded with what? Too many services? How is that a problem? It's not like the existence of the service or the change in purchasing infrastructure changes the number of companies that already exist, or the number of games they make.

The mention of subscription fees and their volume in your rhetorical question suggests acrimony with the prospect of too many different services to afford simultaneously, but it isn't your privilege to own the world-- only to choose what you buy.

I am not threatened by pay-to-play business models. They are fantastic. They make sense. They enjoy long-term health and satisfaction for both seller and consumer. It's this Freemium horseshit where people want to get something for nothing that the corporations ultimately skullfuck us, and end up charging us 10x as much for the same amount of content with the microtransaction nickel-and-diming. That's where loot boxes come from, you dope. That's where they started: the worlds of mobile gaming and F2P MMOs. They are no longer limited to this, but it's these ridiculous zero-down pay schemes that ruin the world for consumers. Remember the housing crisis that caused the 2008 Great Recession? Remember what started that?

What's good? SlingTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, Hulu Plus (barely).
What sucks? Crackle, VUDU, PlutoTV, iFlix, Popcornflix, Hulu.

Stop bitching, start paying attention.

I had Playstation NOW for a month and I thought it was really good, has tons of great games on it. I don't get to use the playstation much as my son is always on it, but if I had it to myself and had time I would get Playstation NOW again.

Back