Early UFC 226 pay-per-view estimates are under 400,000 buys

Hey buddy
They get about 55% from traditional providers (like comcast, etc) & more from streaming partners (like Amazon) & a lot more from their in-house (UFC,tv & FP)

One of the keys to the ESPN deal that nobody is talking about is ESPN is a PPV partner in 2019.
So they will be promoting every UFC event with links/info to their streaming service

No idea why he thinks they get $50 per, that is outrageous, but I responded to him
Normal Dave numbers only include traditional partners correct?

What are "ppv countries"? Most people in Europe or North America couldn't buy PPVs even if they wanted to, because no one under retirement age has cable any more. Relying on PPVs as your main moneymaker in 2018 is retarded.

Countries where the UFC is not free on TV. USA and Canada basically. Their main money maker isn't PPV anymore. Its streaming, network deals and, their live gates.

Normal Dave numbers only include traditional partners correct?

No, they include all

He gets the non-traditional numbers as well somehow

The early numbers he uses a % to give an estimate.
Then when he gets more numbers including the e-purchases, he gives a final (either estimate or exact)

wasn't really promoted much to be fair. wme seem scared to put anything behind these fights

Biggest card of the year and they barely promoted it at all. And, I think most people are just getting "withdrawal" fatigue. You basically just expect at least 1 of the headliners to withdraw prior to every event now. When was the last ppv that actually went on as advertised? The casual fans have lost interest. It's anecdotal, but I've been watching the PPVs at my local Buffalo Wild Wings for probably close to 10 years now. For a long time it was packed for every one. You had to get there at like 6:30 or 7 just to get a table or as seat at the bar. But, it has gradually eroded over the last few years to the point that I don't know how much longer they will continue to carry them. The crowd for 226 was just a normal Saturday night crowd at best. Place was probably 3/4 full.

Meltzer:
The preliminary numbers look to be about 380,000 buys, or roughly the same as the January show in Boston where Miocic retained his title over Francis Ngannou and Cormier retained his over Volkan Oezdemir. UFC was hoping for a number in excess of 500,000 buys, and there were indicators based on advance sales where that number looked plausible

Very disappointing numbers. No way to spin it.

Any indication of the effect that the Holloway/Ortega scrapping had?

But that Ngannou - Lewis fight was so exciting. Why would someone want to miss that?

"they are going to kill each other"
"black on black crime"
"someone is getting KTFO tonigh, bro"
"it will last under 60 seconds"

Any indication of the effect that the Holloway/Ortega scrapping had?

\UFC had it pegged at 450k before the co-main dropped out.
That isn't an exact science by any means.
Meltzers o/u was 425k (after the co-main was lost)

So it is a disappointing number by at least 10%

I don't know in what universe are Max and Ortega draws.

On their own? None
But it took luster of the card for sure.

If someone was on the fence about ordering that could sway them not to.

not a large amount by 25-50k the most is within reason

I’m not surprised. There’s not one active fighter that’s a cash cow for the UFC right now. Shit, I can’t think of one active fighter that I would feel confident to sell over 500K PPVs. Not one. I remember the days where every 1 out of 3 PPVs would do 500K or well over 500K. Sad that there are no stars in this sport anymore.

On their own? None
But it took luster of the card for sure.

If someone was on the fence about ordering that could sway them not to.

not a large amount by 25-50k the most is within reason

Yeah, I deleted the comment because I realized that too. It matters!
First, I thought that Max has the worst PPVs, he barely did 170,000 with Aldo 1.

I’m not surprised. There’s not one active fighter that’s a cash cow for the UFC right now. Shit, I can’t think of one active fighter that I would feel confident to sell over 500K PPVs. Not one. I remember the days where every 1 out of 3 PPVs would do 500K or well over 500K. Sad that there are no stars in this sport anymore.

Its a mix of a lot of things

Lack of big stars
PPV being a top heavy industry in 2018
Declining interest over-all in MMA

giphy.gif

Yeah, I deleted the comment because I realized that too. It matters!
First, I thought that Max has the worst PPVs, he barely did 170,000 with Aldo 1.

I didn't realized you changed your comment

But your point was valid
At most they meant potentially 10% IMO

The heavyweight division just doesn't draw.

Hasn't since JDS was champion in 2012.

Back