Easy exercises for explosive power

nino

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Do you guys have some easy exercises for that explosive power?

Jumping squats is a really effective one for something "easy" since you don't need any weights to get results.

But is that for kicking power?
Absolutely. It'll basically help improve just about any strike that requires you to use your feet/legs to generate the force. Look up exercises for your hip flexors as well. The better your hips are, the better your kicks will be.

Make sure to get on a steady routine of hitting the tanning salon for that melanin power boost...

Medicine balls throws, sledge hammer swings, landmine presses, plyometric pushups, all sorts of stuff.

Absolutely. It'll basically help improve just about any strike that requires you to use your feet/legs to generate the force. Look up exercises for your hip flexors as well. The better your hips are, the better your kicks will be.

I don't feel like squats translate that well to kicking. Deadlifts feel more useful since they engage the hips more. With a standard MT round kick you don't use your legs as much as your hips as you rotate

i believe in throws. squats, jumping squats, oly lifts are all good, but I really like the true ballistic element of throwing. The release not disabling full power like a catch does.

I don't feel like squats translate that well to kicking. Deadlifts feel more useful since they engage the hips more. With a standard MT round kick you don't use your legs as much as your hips as you rotate
It all matters. I've never trained at any martial arts gym that didn't have you do and hold squats.

Knowing from experience they def do. I personally prefer deadlifts as my main strength/explosiveness exercise, especially hex bar style, but you don't get a lot of activation in the quads with standard barbell deadlifts. The extra strength in the quads from squats will have a direct impact on the power of your kicks. I've always noticed a difference when lifting more often that my kicks, especially middle and low, would become much heavier landing. Try both and discover a balance that suits you. The plyo effect of jumping body weight squats helps a lot with speed and explosiveness without making yourself too sore from using weighted squats. Save the "power strength" part for the deadlifts lol.

Back