Eddie Alvarez announces new contract with ONE Championship

Hard to say it's a mistake w/o knowing particulars and I wish him the best.
I still have a hard time reconciling that Conor fight...wtf. One of the biggest fight brain farts I've ever seen.

Plenty of money to be made there. Doubt I'll be watching though. Dont know anyone in their LW division

He's 34 and never winning or fighting for the UFC belt again so I assume ONE offered him more than the UFC did and more than Bellator would.
Seems like common sense to me.

Yeah, it's not nearly as bad as Askren, who still wanted to claim he was the best WW. Eddie had his chance and moment (which was almost Matt Serra-ish IMO, but he still won the belt). I can't see him ever winning it again with Khabib, TFerg, Conor, Lee, etc. in the picture. And there's no point going to Bellator and fighting Chandler 6 more times.

I think they would still be a weight class apart, Askren fights at MW there iirc.

Askren is also retired. And that would be a pointless fight, just like Askren vs. Aoki. Going up in a weight class to fight an elite wrestler is pretty much always a bad idea....see BJ Penn trying that vs. GSP for an example.

Just a pure money move. Whatever he achieves in ONE won't be given any respect.

It's fair enough to go for the money but just a shame he hadn't two or three more left on his UFC contract. He's by no means out of his prime yet.
Is the money that much better ?

He was LW champ, headlined and co headlines quite a few cards, how much was he getting does anyone know ?

Is the money that much better ?

He was LW champ, headlined and co headlines quite a few cards, how much was he getting does anyone know ?

I haven't a clue how much money he's making but I can only assume that the UFC aren't offering him enough and that's why he's shopping around. Dana White said he wanted to keep him, so ONE must have made a better offer.

Hard to say it's a mistake w/o knowing particulars and I wish him the best.
I still have a hard time reconciling that Conor fight...wtf. One of the biggest fight brain farts I've ever seen.
If thats you in your AV, Im betting you beat your kids after that fight. True?

I have a hard time believing he's going to make bank to fight in a division so thin that their champ makes 135.

Askren is also retired. And that would be a pointless fight, just like Askren vs. Aoki. Going up in a weight class to fight an elite wrestler is pretty much always a bad idea....see BJ Penn trying that vs. GSP for an example.
BJ lost to GSP yes but beat Hughes twice.

Look on the bright side, Eddie can now knee downed opponents in the head without getting DQ'd.

Good for him. He's almost near the end and it's a big addition for One as well.

BJ lost to GSP yes but beat Hughes twice.

One of those fights was when Hughes was WAY past his prime and they never even wrestled. And Hughes beat BJ once at WW. Eddie vs. Askren is much more similar stylistically to the BJ vs GSP rematch....a really bad idea and it won't happen anyway since Askren is retired.

I have a hard time believing he's going to make bank to fight in a division so thin that their champ makes 135.
145. Different weight classes in ONE.

man..how time has changed. It seems like yesterday he was doing a presser with the belt in front of him, Dana to his left and McGregor doing his monkey routine on the other side of the desk. It was all smiles to Eddie.

Good for him. He's done as a legit contender and I'm sure ONE will pay him a lot more than the UFC. Working on that retirement fund for the family.

Back