Eddie Cummings vs. Reilly Bodycomb

kenpeters8

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone seen this match before? The huge difference in skills really showed in this match. Eddie Cummings just easily handled Reilly Bodycomb.

I remember watching this. I found it strange/odd that Rilley was not really protecting his legs at all! I don't know if he was over-confident or didn't care but it was like he was giving Cummings his legs to attack on purpose. I thought it was really weird, honestly.

Up until this point we hadn’t seen much of Cummings’s kanibasami from the bottom. Bodycomb’s training camp (from what I hear) had focused on baiting the basic ashi garami entry that Cummings had largely utilized up to this point and then punishing it. Would it have worked? I’m not sure. But this wasn’t necessarily a case of vastly divergent skill, it was Cummings having a mostly-unknown weapon that Bodycomb was not prepared for.

He did escape the position a couple times, not something that a lot of people can say.
I remember watching this. I found it strange/odd that Rilley was not really protecting his legs at all! I don't know if he was over-confident or didn't care but it was like he was giving Cummings his legs to attack on purpose. I thought it was really weird, honestly.

It was definitely a weird game plan, but that might be what it takes to beat someone like Eddie.

He did escape the position a couple times, not something that a lot of people can say.

I'm not even sure if you could really give him that since him and Eddie were never fully engaged. He came in at an angle where he was always ready to run and never committed his weight towards Eddie enough to attack.
The most impressive part to me was how Eddie caught him Reilly's knee line cleared, did a roll, and all of a sudden his leg was miraculously above Reilly's knee.

Thanks for the vid... Eddie Is such a beast

To be honest, Reilly Bodycomb is overrated and didn't deserve this match with Eddie Cummings.

To be honest, Reilly Bodycomb is overrated and didn't deserve this match with Eddie Cummings.

At the point in time where they had their match Eddie wasn't a very big name yet; the most he was known for was winning an early EBI as an alternate subbing in for Garry Tonon who was injured.

This was the point in time where Danaher guys were going around looking for matches with people most well known for being 'leg lock guys', to take all that clout and put themselves as the top of the proverbial heap.

Last edited:
There used to be a lot of Reilly nuthuggers on this forum.
Suddenly the Reilly fanboys all turned into Danaher Death Squad fans now. But seriously though, Reilly really ain't shit though.

I

This here.

Who has Reilly Bodycomb beat in grappling? Who can name some recognizable grapplers has he has beaten?

He beat a bunch of no namers. No idea why he has so many delusional fan boys though.

Some of these guys were all over his scrotum..

Before 1:13?

At 1:13 Eddie goes for the 4-11 and he has it fully locked and had Bodycomb in double trouble by 1:20.

You mean when Bodycomb is standing earlier in the match?

Maybe because Eddie wasn't as well known at the time? It seems like people caught on.

In their respective EBI finals matches against Eddie, Bill Cooper and Geo Martinez tried kneeling passing at first against Eddie so that he couldn't get under them. Coop sacrificed top to dive for a sacrifice darce and tried to trap Eddie's legs and inadvertently gave Eddie the 4-11. Coop kept trying to darce Eddie from inside the 4-11 (not a bad strategy) but Eddie's knee flare was too strong. Geo eventually got tangled up because Eddie made a super low X on Geo's ankle and I think maybe Geo didn't realize how quickly it could turn into the 4-11. Geo protected his trapped foot most of the match and got it to OT.

Tanquinho is the only guy I've seen be able to do any standing passing on Eddie, get put into the 4-11, and escape the position without getting subbed.

Ryan Hall still rates him super high
As he should. Bodycomb's latest instructional was awesome and the way he chose to release it is a very new and creative idea, and Bodycomb does a lot for the community.

Hall and Bodycomb have sadly gotten overlooked a little bit by today's current internet generation of BJJers. They contributed so much to the knowledge of the leg lock game and I've heard a lot of DDS fanboys and even a couple DDS members disparage their skill a little bit.
I

This here.

Who has Reilly Bodycomb beat in grappling? Who can name some recognizable grapplers has he has beaten?

My argument against this would be that Bodycomb has never positioned himself as some sort of grappling god that demolishes everyone in competition, and I've never heard anyone say he's some crazy high level comp grappler.

Bodycomb has mostly been known as a great instructor and great teacher.

I wish BJJ would let this outdated idea go that the best teachers and instructors have to be the best athletes. This is the only sport where I still see this. Most of the best coaches in basketball, football, you name it, were not the best athletes in their sport. Everyone understand that and nobody cares. Coach K is the greatest college basketball coach ever and in college he was nothing special.

When you talk about who has such and such beaten, I understand when you say it about guys that are positioning themselves as these amazing grapplers, and you're trying to put in in perspective like "no, they aren't. Who have they beaten?"

But when it comes to coaches and teachers, does it matter? As long as they roll who cares how many people they've beaten?

The DDS didn't think so at the time. They were going out of their way to get matches at Polaris with Bodycomb, Imanari, Palhares, Marcin Held, and other well known leg lock guys.

And like, even if he's not some ADCC level world beater I feel like it's weird to say that "he ain't shit."

Last edited:
Yeah he does but he's also a BJJ black belt.
Is there anybody out there winning medals at submission tournaments that does not claim to be any degree of Bjj'er? Rustam Chsiev is possibly the only one I can think.

Is there anybody out there winning medals at submission tournaments that does not claim to be any degree of Bjj'er? Rustam Chsiev is possibly the only one I can think.
I can't think of anyone else besides maybe Josh Barnett who claims catch wrestling. He did NoGi Worlds one year and won and beat Dean Lister and Ryron Gracie at Metamoris.

Maybe a couple Luta Livre guys that are ADCC regulars that win the trials and maybe win a match or so at the big show. Leozada Nogueira. Nicolas Renier. Those guys are solid grapplers.

Back