Edgar will do better on the feet than Aldo did.

WTF? How is this a fair fight. Looks like a man vs a child. Is Edgar even gonna be able to reach his opponents chin?
Edgar is used to it

Frankie-Edgar_833_RightFullBodyImage.png
yair-rodriguez_498735_LeftFullBodyImage.png

You realize that frankie spent a lot of his career outgrappling elite BJJ guys and good wrestlers, the majority of whom were taller and bigger than frankie, right?

Man those guys look tall in those pictures if you didn't know they are 5'8 - 5'11.

Frankie such a little hero, Stand Short and Proud!

I actually think Holloway will dominate him and put Edgar away. Seeing how easy it was for Aldo to counter him, I see Holloway doing the same, but hurt him more and keep him at the range.

Edgar is good, but Holloway should win pretty handily.

I hope Frankie takes it. One more run as champion!!

It's gonna come down to how well Edgar deals with the body shots that Holloway just loves to dish out. If Frankie can't find a way to stop or counter them he's going to have his gas tank sucked dry like every other one of Max's victims, and from there it's all downhill. I think most of Frankie's wrestling will be neutralized by Holloway's distance control, you can't get a takedown on him if you can't get the position to shoot one and Holloway doesn't make that easy.

Frankie may have been the best P4P fighter of all time, but sadly for him, he always competed against men that were 2-3 divisions above him. When you consider the success that Frankie has had, and doing so as a modern flyweight-bantamweight, it really makes you wonder what his record would have been if he always fought similar sized men. Also sadly for Frankie, he is now getting very old and will only face an uphill battle.

Or he wins that decision. Frankie is pace guy and he can rack up points quick
I don't see him landing the better strikes on the feet to win a decision. i don't think he'll be able to get and keep max down enough to win a decision. but i don't know. Frankie murdered Yair, but Yair is a few steps behind max.

Can't say for sure.

Max might pull a solid strategy out. The pull counter to Aldos 1 2 counter was very basic and genius.

He might have something tricky waiting for Frankie.

I don't see him landing the better strikes on the feet to win a decision. i don't think he'll be able to get and keep max down enough to win a decision. but i don't know. Frankie murdered Yair, but Yair is a few steps behind max.

That' why it' an amazing fight

The post i replied to had one point. You later added several caveats and cop outs, aka moving the goal post, in order to save face after I proved your point to be moot in the case of frankie Edgar. I don't follow people once they change their arguments and add caveats.

--

It isn't at all. Being taller in grappling exchanges provides just as many benefits as it would standing. Have you ever tried shooting in on someone taller than you compared to someone who is shorter than you? That's not to mention the advantages that he already has from being larger or heavier in general. And keep in mind he doesn't have to be a better grappler than Frankie to do well. He just has to keep him off, which requires considerably less skill. This is the comment someone would make or like if they've never grappled in their life.

Either they're smaller than Max, have lesser TDD, weren't afraid to go there, were wrestlers themselves, or some combination of the four. And again, this doesn't disprove the advantage being there at all. Because Frankie has overcome a certain obstacle in the past doesn't make it not an obstacle. I'm sure he would have had an easier time if these opponents were smaller.

Okay, so in which one of these posts did I change my point? From the very beginning, my point has been simple. And you haven't done much other than present logical fallacies. Frankie beat these tall fighters (none of which taller than, more skilled than Max or have similar skill set), so Max's height will be irrelevant. It's kind of like how Daniel Cormier has defeated fighters taller than Jon Jones, so must have dealt with Jones height well, right?

being shorter is definitely a advantage if you're ontop taller guys can play a better guard.
Also there's many takedowns which work better on taller fighters then guys who are shorter with lower hips, can't generalize and say " you ever shot on a tall guy" because everybody's leverages and strengths are different.

Frankie's not too short "to do anything with max on the ground" only someone who's never grappled would say that.
You may fit that description

Of course there are exceptions. But generally speaking, being tall is an advantage in every area a fight can take place in, especially when the difference is as large as it is between Frankie and Max.

"Frankie being too short to do anything with Max on the ground" was not my point at all. If it gets to the ground, all things considered, Edgar should be able to make up for the disparity in physical attributes with his skill. My thing is, it won't get there. Why? Not necessarily because Max is anymore skilled than Edgar's other opponents technique wise in defending takedowns (although you could argue he is). But because he's longer, larger and rangier - and on top of that has the footwork to keep Edgar out of the position he likes to shoot from.

Edgar is going to get picked apart imo.

Last edited:
Frankie won't gas and has a GOAT chin so he probably won't get laced like Aldo did

That said if Frankie can't secure his takedowns he's gonna have a rough night and I say that as a big Edgar fan

I actually think Holloway will dominate him and put Edgar away. Seeing how easy it was for Aldo to counter him, I see Holloway doing the same, but hurt him more and keep him at the range.

Edgar is good, but Holloway should win pretty handily.
Aldo has incredible take down defense which counters Frankie’s style well. Can’t say the same about the guy who hasn’t really been tested in the wrestling department since the mcgregor fight which is saying something.

There is a difference between fighting a wrestler and fighting someone who will actually wrestle.

Of course there are exceptions. But generally speaking, being tall is an advantage in every area a fight can take place in, especially when the difference is as large as it is between Frankie and Max.

"Frankie being too short to do anything with Max on the ground" was not my point at all. If it gets to the ground, all things considered, Edgar should be able to make up for the disparity in physical attributes with his skill. My thing is, it won't get there. Why? Not necessarily because Max is anymore skilled than Edgar's other opponents technique wise in defending takedowns (although you could argue he is). But because he's longer, larger and rangier - and on top of that has the footwork to keep Edgar out of the position he likes to shoot from.

Edgar is going to get picked apart imo.

Actually anyone who has wrestled knows it's easier to hit a TD on a tall lanky guy than a shorter guy.

Think about it.
Max' s tall lanky build will be a disadvantage when it comes to TDD.

Much easier to wrap your arms around your opponents legs for a double.

I actually don't know how anyone is fooling themselves into thinking Max is gonna be able to defend the TD.

He should be training to hit Frankie with a knee while he shoots in.

Edgar has faster hands, quicker footwork, cardio and chin for days.
No way Max avoids the TD with footwork lol.
No way other than a lucky KO from a knee that Max wins this fight.

Max has no advantage here other than reach.
That won't be enough.

Save for the time he clipped Mendes, FE hasn't shown the power to get Max to react. People saying, "he should spam TDs" are acting like Frankie has some crazy blast double that he can just invoke from halfway across the cage - he doesn't. He's always grappled from a very close range after managing to box his way inside; that's going to be an issue with a rangy guy like Max.

FE is great and his heart / cardio are going to be great assets to him here. Still, I don't think he offers the pop in his punches to get Max to give up any ground, and his style of TDs don't translate well to fighting someone like Holloway.

Back