Edgar will do better on the feet than Aldo did.

Aldo will always be FW GOAT with his 9 title defenses

Aldo > Holloway > Frankie

Not even close. A good deal of the reason for both of Aldo's wins over Frankie is Aldo's footwork was leagues superior to Frankie's. Aldo's footwork was superior in both Max fights too. Until he got tired.

That's Frankie's real advantage. He never gets tired. I just don't see it being enough unfortunately.
You think that Jose, walk you down and throw muay thai style, Aldo, has great footwork? I love Aldo, but if I'm being objective he almost never moves laterally.

Aldo beat Frankie because a huge part of Frankie's arsenal was completely nullified (takedowns). Aldo hits much harder and tends to be more accurate. People forget that the first fight was close, and the second fight Edgar never looked the same after he got buzzed early.

You think Aldo has better footwork than Max? You sure about that? Aldo doesn't cut the angles that Holloway does, he just doesn't.

Frankie needs to get Max on the ground to win this fight in my opinion.

I can potentially see it, I mean I can't see Frankie outworking Holloway standing BUT you could argue he's better suited to potentially hurting him.

The problem Aldo had IMHO is that his natural game is all about workrate and dominance yet was at a clear cardio disadvantage vs Max, Frankie these days could actually be argued as more of a finisher as we saw vs Mendes and you could argue Max leaves more openings than Aldo.

I'm not convinced Holloway's distance control is that much of a problem for Frankie, who excels in wrestling transitions. If we were discussing Holloway against Mendes, I'd agree. Mendes has a great entry, but isn't a great chain wrestler. Frankie's the opposite. Frankie can blow an entry, but unless Holloway gets out of there real quick, that entry is just a way to close to distance. I'm a big believer in Holloway—a big believer in both these guys really—but he hasn't actually demonstrated that ability against anyone anything like Edgar.

I agree that it hasn't been tested by a wrestler like Edgar, but there's things that Max is doing in recent fights that have historically given Edgar issues. Max is now using more pivots & side steps in his footwork to disengage and/or attack on a new angle, and this is something that Edgar has struggled with in his fights against Aldo. When Frankie tried to take him down, Aldo would often pivot out sharply and break the chain wrestling attempts and once his leg was free he'd step out to the side to prevent a re-shoot. I don't think Max has Aldo's wrestling defence but his footwork is becoming more & more like Aldo's which is why I think it can give Edgar problems.

It's tough fight to call, there's clear ways for both fighters to win and they both have the tools to do it.

You think that Jose, walk you down and throw muay thai style, Aldo, has great footwork?

1. Jose Aldo's style is infinitely more versatile and sophisticated (relative to other MMA fighters at least) than "walk you down and throw muay thai style". The dude has actually been primarily a back-foot counter fighter much more than a front foot pressure fighter for years, but in any given fight he will employ either tactic as the situation calls for it.

2. Even those fighters who (unlike Aldo) only have a game which is to "walk you down" are infinitely more effective if they do so utilizing superior footwork. If all you do is plod forward and the opponent has superior footwork they will matador your ass every time.

3. (I'm not saying you ARE doing this, but ...) Be careful not to equate "great footwork" with "moves a lot". Sure we love watching showy, spectacular, dynamic movers like Cruz, Frankie and TJ, leaping around and in and out like spider monkeys, but EVERY style requires superior footwork to defeat an opponent. 80% of the game is to place yourself in a position which is advantageous over your opponent. There is no other way to accomplish this other than footwork. Both attack and defense begin and end with footwork no matter which style a fighter is employing.

I love Aldo, but if I'm being objective he almost never moves laterally.

C'mon son. Jose Aldo has been WORLD FAMOUS in MMA as the KING OF THE PIVOT for yeeeeeeears.

Dude's footwork is POETRY.

aldo-delayed-check-hook-comp-2.gif

Aldo beat Frankie because a huge part of Frankie's arsenal was completely nullified (takedowns).

Did you never notice that a huge part of Aldo's magnificent TDD ability is due to his superior footwork? (Although, given the UFC production team's dumb tendency to zoom in too much in fights such that the footwork frequently is obscured the trouble some fans have in understanding the footwork game is a very forgivable offense to be honest.)

aldo-takedown-defense-reversal.gif

Last edited:
1. Jose Aldo's style is infinitely more versatile and sophisticated (relative to other MMA fighters at least) than "walk you down and throw muay thai style". The dude has actually been primarily a back-foot counter fighter much more than a front foot pressure fighter for years, but in any given fight he will employ either tactic as the situation calls for it.

2. Even those fighters who (unlike Aldo) only have a game which is to "walk you down" are infinitely more effective if they do so utilizing superior footwork. If all you do is plod forward and the opponent has superior footwork they will matador your ass every time.

3. (I'm not saying you ARE doing this, but ...) Be careful not to equate "great footwork" with "moves a lot". Sure we love watching showy, spectacular, dynamic movers like Cruz, Frankie and TJ, leaping around and in and out like spider monkeys, but EVERY style requires superior footwork to defeat an opponent. 80% of the game is to place yourself in a position which is advantageous over your opponent. There is no other way to accomplish this other than footwork. Both attack and defense begin and end with footwork no matter which style a fighter is employing.

C'mon son. Jose Aldo has been WORLD FAMOUS in MMA as the KING OF THE PIVOT for yeeeeeeears.

Dude's footwork is POETRY.

aldo-delayed-check-hook-comp-2.gif

Did you never notice that a huge part of Aldo's magnificent TDD ability is due to his superior footwork? (Although, given the UFC production team's dumb tendency to zoom in too much in fights such that the footwork frequently is obscured the trouble some fans have in understanding the footwork game is a very forgivable offense to be honest.)

aldo-takedown-defense-reversal.gif
<{anton}>

Do you think Edgar will do better on the feet against Max than Aldo did? I do. I think that even if he can't secure a takedown, max will respect the threat and be thrown off by Frankie's takedown feints.

Bonus pic--the size difference is real. I wish Frankie went to 135lbs after UFC 200, but Frankie gonna Frankie.

Edgar should fight at bantamweight...

Back