Educate me on Neil Young

heart of gold, all time #1 neil young song for me.

I just recently got into the "Harvest Moon" album and absolutely love it. I was shocked to find out after that it came out in 1992 when it sounds like something out of the 70s or early 80s at best.

It's such a beautiful and pleasant sounding album and now I'm looking for more. The problem is Neil has a massive discography and he seems a bit all over the place.

I'm a fan of the softer, folky sounding songs on Harvest Moon. What other albums with that style would I like from his discography?

think youll like this TS

Ended up getting....

After the Gold Rush
Harvest
On the Beach
Comes a Time

I might try some of the rock album ones later since allmusic.com loves Tonight's the Night and Zuma.

Start at the beginning, and listen to every song he ever wrote, it’s all solid in its own way, and a good way to get insight into one of the GOATS....

I prefer the gentler stuff but goddamn does Southern Man rock. The lyrics are heavy as well.

Lower your guitar a notch on the strap, stand semi sideways, stomp your feet real hard while bending strings continuously .

But seriously, Neil has a plethora of great songs. Cortez the Killer and Down By The River are great songs. Old Man doesn't get old. Most of his stuff doesnt.

Ended up getting....

After the Gold Rush
Harvest
On the Beach
Comes a Time

I might try some of the rock album ones later since allmusic.com loves Tonight's the Night and Zuma.

Ahhh I was hoping I would be the first to suggest Comes A Time, my personal favorite, the melodies and musical arrangements are so pleasant to just chill and listen to and the lyrics are full of so much love. Hope you enjoy all of his stuff though!

EDIT: I forgot about "A Letter Home" it's actually from 2014 but it's Neil covering old folk and country songs but it's recorded in such a way that it has that classic sound. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned that yet but it's definitely a great album if you like the albums you already grabbed.

I highly recommend creating a free account here:

www.neilyoungarchives.com

You can listen to almost all of his library in FLAC format.

I suggest "Cortez the Killer" to get things rolling...

My favourite acoustic Young album is Comes a Time, has some beautiful songs on it, especially Peace of Mind.
[yt]

Back