Educate me on Rigondeaux

Lawblaw

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
He looked like an absolute bum against Loma. Is he any good?

Watch the Donaire fight.

He's one of the most accomplished and technically sound boxers on the planet,and one of the greatest amateur boxers of all time,holding two consecutive gold medals. Age and size played a factor,but also Loma is just that good.

He's one of the most accomplished and technically sound boxers on the planet,and one of the greatest amateur boxers of all time,holding two consecutive gold medals. Age and size played a factor,but also Loma is just that good.
Very unbiased well broken down answer. Congrats sir

Loma is amazing, no doubt, But Rigo didn't belong in the ring with him. He looked terrible, that's why I'm asking. The guy quit without being knocked down or even get rocked. It was embarrassing.

Loma is amazing, no doubt, But Rigo didn't belong in the ring with him. He looked terrible, that's why I'm asking. The guy quit without being knocked down or even get rocked. It was embarrassing.
Context plays a part. Rigo is 34 yrs old,and has never been outclassed like this in whole career. He did not handle it well. He lost to a younger,bigger,faster guy who is better than he is too.

Its a disappointing ending to the fight,for sure,but its not like its both spring chickens out there.

They are two of the most accomplished fighters in amateur boxing history. One was 37 and moving up 2 weight classes the other is considerably younger and naturally bigger. Rigondeaux has never been made to look off the pace and he was favored by a surprising amount of hardcore fans. The bookies had their odds about right -450 +330 ish depending on where you bet. But yeah rigs belonged in the ring with him but lost to the better man. He was 7 rounds down going into the seventh because of the point deduction.

He's a great fighter, but he's also a counter fighter dealing with a pressure fighter who feints a lot but also has the great footwork to get him out of danger. Lomachenko himself is quite unusual, usually a pressure fighter will keep moving forward and stay on the attack and take damage. That's not really how Lomachenko fights.

As he moves in he fakes and makes Rigondeaux (who while no doubt incredible) react and counter punchers that aren't coming. Rigondeaux gets swatted, but when Rigondeaux does try to mount an attack or correctly anticipates Lomachenko's attack, Lomachenko is able to back off and get out of the way before Rigondeaux can successfully mount a proper attack.

Worth noting as well that he knows that Rigondeaux bends at the waist and he'd use that opportunity to snap down on him and wear him out and make it impossible for him to attack.

So Rigondeaux is great, he pretty much beats everyone else, but he was against a fighter who just brings a very difficult style for him, but also happens to be the best at that style.

He looked like an absolute bum against Loma. Is he any good?

He has a style that it extremely difficult to master, it s a style of perfectionist that requires full confidence.

He fight as if he has a katana Saber. That's crazy.

Yesterday, Lomachenko did show him fireworks of deceptive technics that humiliate RIGONDEAUX, made him doubt. Quit

Last edited:
He is a great fighter, Loma is better. However he was not willing to take any chances and make it a fight, no adjustments or anything

RIGONDEAUX is extremely talented. What he is able to do is pure grace and elegance.

Lomachenko is hard worker on footwork.

Work and footwork beat talent.

RIGONDEAUX is extremely talented. What he is able to do is pure grace and elegance.

Loma is the most talented and hard working fighter ever. Rigo is just less talented and less hard working, both are incredible fighters but Lomachenko is the Messi of boxing.

Loma was clearly more talented as well. It was like watching Yoel Romero vs Brad Tavares.

Thats true but in this fight he was the hugging world champ and had not one clean punch on Loma. He just went straight to the clinch and did not even try. Got rightfully points deducted for it

One boxer came to fight this night and the other to hide. Jesus even Floyd is an output monster compared to this Rigo and that says something.

It was disrespectful to Loma and especially the audience. If you are too scared to engage and box at all dont take the fight and then chicken out.

Yea i'd like to hear this as well. This fight was so weird. I brought into the hype of this being the real fight in boxing that hardcore fans really want to see.

I don't follow boxing a lot, but from what i'd seen of both these guys past fights rigondeaux just did not seem to be at the level of loma. And yet some people were picking him or saying this is very closely matched. It did not make sense.

Loma was clearly more talented as well. It was like watching Yoel Romero vs Brad Tavares.

RIGONDEAUX with same work can do what Lomachenko do. Footwork.

Lomachenko can't do what RIGONDEAUX do. His boxe is minimalist, kind of crazy genius trip.

The best, most efficient, most competitive is lomachenko by far, yes.

To me

Lomachenko was brillant yesterday, masterfull performance, p4p 1.
Loma is the most talented and hard working fighter ever. Rigo is just less talented and less hard working, both are incredible fighters but Lomachenko is the Messi of boxing.

Back