educated liberals lack the courage to sanction those dedicated to shutting down speakers

In order to address a problem, you must first recognize that there is one. A lot of Liberals are struggling with the latter at the moment.

Said the canadian Trump publicist. Shut the fuck you dishonest hack.

Conservatives are way more likely to criticize their own party than liberals.

When exactly did you go full troll? Was it right after Cormier's loss or were you doing this shtick before that thread you made after his loss?

Opportunistic? An opportunity to what?

An opportunity to allow those you disagree with be silenced. An opportunity to undermine true intellectual diversity while cynically praising diversity.

An opportunity to allow those you disagree with be silenced. An opportunity to undermine true intellectual diversity while cynically praising diversity.
Conspiracy! Or it could be that faculty and administration are having a difficult time with some privileged kids who talk too much and listen too little, while the baiting from the right has reached an extreme. They're stuck in the middle. It probably is a courage thing like OP suggested, rather than a conspiracy thing. But meanwhile, I'll shed one golden goddamn tear for the "diversity" of Coulter, Milo, and Shapiro. Christ.

Conspiracy! Or it could be that faculty and administration are having a difficult time with some privileged kids who talk too much and listen too little, while the baiting from the right has reached an extreme. They're stuck in the middle. It probably is a courage thing like OP suggested, rather than a conspiracy thing. But meanwhile, I'll shed one golden goddamn tear for the "diversity" of Coulter, Milo, and Shapiro. Christ.
Where did I claim a conspiracy? I said it's easier to shrug your shoulders like you are doing when you have no ideological sympathy with the viewpoints being suppressed.

I understand disliking a provocateur like Yiannaploous or Coulter. What's your issue with Shapiro big enough to discount him being silenced as not a big issue? You seem to be a ways down the slippery slope. How far are planning on sliding?

Most people agree about college campuses. As far as I know, every single person in this forum agrees on that. There isn't consensus like that on anything else. It's not even close to as big a deal as it's being made out to be. It's more useful to ask why (how, actually) an issue of this low level of importance is blown up to such huge significance.

1) Reponses to the article on twitter are pretty split on if it is right to shutdown a neo-Nazi speaking at a university or not. There is not a consensus that it is wrong.

McWhorter points out in the article:

It has become clear over the past few years that the shouting students and their civilian accomplices (the latter of whom have sometimes outnumbered the former, as at Middlebury when Charles Murray was accosted) are a charismatic minority who do not represent general opinion, even among enlightened people on the left.

we must note that years now of editorials and forums condemning this behavior has merely preached to a choir -- i.e. most of us -- while the warriors lustily plan their next assault upon someone's right to utter some words in an auditorium. Clearly the catharsis of fighting for what they believe is The Good is too powerful for these protestors to heed advice so mild as to ask them to reflect before they perform.

That's just it: these protestors are unmoved by comparisons to fascists or Nazis or even today's neo-Nazis, because they suppose that their commitment to antiracism is "right" in a way that Mussolini, Hitler and Richard Spencer are not. They think they're different.

The suppression of speech is not overstated as an issue. Liberals think it is overstated because they are not the ones being silenced.

I think the health of our universities is important to the health of our society. There's nothing phony about it.

I think those attempting to minimize rather than address and fix the problem are being politically opportunistic. It's working for them, so why address it?

This is exactly right. Jordan Peterson says there isn't a bigger set of cowards than the intellectual left. Professors that agreed with him on free speech and c-16 would secretly admit such but were covering their asses.

Seems drinking the hemlock has nothing to do with truth anymore no matter what kind of historian you are.

The level of discourse is so low now that people who don't have a argument for the likes of Peterson just attack. Just watch what increasingly happens as his position becomes unassailable. Lefts only tactic. Stand by for exhibit A.
If someone doesn't think it's important look at the connection with bill c-16 and free speech.

Great discussion in this video concerning this issue on a lot of levels.

This is exactly right. Jordan Peterson says there isn't a bigger set of cowards than the intellectual left. Professors that agreed with him on free speech and c-16 would secretly admit such but were covering their asses.
Seems drinking the hemlock has nothing to do with truth anymore no matter what kind of historian you are.

The level of discourse is so low now that people who don't have a argument for the likes of Peterson just attack. Just watch what increasingly happens as his position becomes unassailable. Lefts only tactic. Stand by for exhibit A.
If someone doesn't think it's important look at the connection with bill c-16 and free speech.

Great discussion in this video concerning this issue on a lot of levels.

I'll have to check that out. Camille Paglia is one of my favorite feminists.

I'll have to check that out. Camille Paglia is one of my favorite feminists.

She has a incredible amount of information and experience to draw from. I wish she could slow down a bit and stay focused. Probably won't happen though, it's part of her mental strength/weakness being played out on stage.

Reminds me of my mom, so excited about ideas and how they fit together it was just one continuous flow of information. You almost had to be rude to finish a point without being interrupted.
When she got her real estate license she scored 3rd in the nation while holding down 2 jobs.
I was explaining how to navigate with a sextant and she finished the conversation after I got 2 sentences in. For some people it took me a couple of days.
I can only take Paglia in small doses but she is brilliant for sure.

just look at the media. One station is primarily for conservatives, while the rest are mainly for liberals.

Honestly, do you believe this?

We know that right-wing persons are much, much more likely to get their news from television and radio than left-wing persons. We also know that left-wing persons are more likely to get theirs from internet/print.

But you think that every station other than Fox News is "for liberals"? All of the sudden, CBS, CNN, ABC, et al. are purposefully skewing their news coverage for a ideological base that is underrepresented in their viewership?

Do you realize how distorted, illogical, and paranoid that sounds? Like, I'll concede that pre-2016 MSNBC was purposefully liberal-skewing. But that's fucking it.

It's the media folks. The media are throwing gas on all of these fires. Sorry to say that Joe average is buying it.

For every asswad lib there is a asswad conservative. Problem we have is the double standard both parties seem to have. Giving their own party a pass on the same shit they bitch about the other side doing.

Can you show me some instances of asswad conservatives shutting down free speech? Do conservatives get violent and block liberals speakers on campus?

Can you show me some instances of asswad conservatives shutting down free speech? Do conservatives get violent and block liberals speakers on campus?
Ahhh, so those are the only qualifications to be an asswad. Everything else is irrelevant. I’m not sure where i was specific with those items in my post. Ohhhhh I wasn’t. My point was.....liberals and conservatives are not immune from being hateful...yet for some reason they think they are gods gift to this earth and everyone else’s views are wrong.

Ahhh, so those are the only qualifications to be an asswad. Everything else is irrelevant. I’m not sure where i was specific with those items in my post. Ohhhhh I wasn’t. My point was.....liberals and conservatives are not immune from being hateful...yet for some reason they think they are gods gift to this earth and everyone else’s views are wrong.

Seems you're confused about the topic of the thread.

For every asswad lib there is a asswad conservative. Problem we have is the double standard both parties seem to have. Giving their own party a pass on the same shit they bitch about the other side doing.

Ummm, not even close. CNN is considered mainstream media. What's the equivalent?

We know that right-wing persons are much, much more likely to get their news from television and radio than left-wing persons. We also know that left-wing persons are more likely to get theirs from internet/print.

But you think that every station other than Fox News is "for liberals"? All of the sudden, CBS, CNN, ABC, et al. are purposefully skewing their news coverage for a ideological base that is underrepresented in their viewership?

Do you realize how distorted, illogical, and paranoid that sounds? Like, I'll concede that pre-2016 MSNBC was purposefully liberal-skewing. But that's fucking it.

I do believe this.
I can back it up if needed.

You're the one that sounds delusional and illogical if you believe there's no liberal media bias.

People on the Left are more likely to get their news from comedians and late night talk-show hosts. What makes lefties think they are so superior just because they watch a cynical Stephen Colbert attack Trump and his family for an hour or a smug John Oliver endlessly mock Americans?

I do believe this.
I can back it up if needed.

You're the one that sounds delusional and illogical if you believe there's no liberal media bias.

Five months ago msm was singing in perfect harmony concerning Trump, the Russians and impeachment being a real possibility. All you had to do is talk with anyone that didn't supplement conservative media along with other input and their view was as predictable as a trained parrot.

People on the Left are more likely to get their news from comedians and late night talk-show hosts. What makes lefties think they are so superior just because they watch a cynical Stephen Colbert attack Trump and his family for an hour or a smug John Oliver endlessly mock Americans?

So....you would just like to deflect the issue?

Do you disagree that right-wing consumers are disproportionately represented in news televesion viewership?

Do you agree that it therefore makes no fucking sense at all in any capitalist or fleetingly logical world that new television would inherently cater to left-wing viewers who aren't even watching?

You guys are a fucking joke. There are no mental gymnastic stupid enough for you not to use them to justify your pathetic worldview whereby actual fact tellers and professionals are "biased" against your dumb asses.

Back