Effective Aikido?

Roy Dean demonstrating wrist locks with GI. p.25-27.

http://www.roydeanacademy.com/downloads/EJJ_Fall_2007.pdf

Thanks for the link. I've used and seen the gooseneck from a lot of positions. I used the sankyo grip to help clear someones arm over my head. I never thought about a sankyo of the kimura. The n/s kimura is probably my best sub, if I was really going for it, I don't know if it would be an advantage over finishing the kimura, but I'll give it a go. Same with the nikyo of the omo.

I've been tempted a couple times to pickup the art of wristlock DVD, but go the impression it was an Aikido takedown transition into jiu jitsu moves DVD, which doesn't interest me as much. Does anyone who has it know if it show a lot of wristlock off of ground situations?

doing aikido is basically just doing judo while stoned. once you wake up you realize it doesn't work.

Sorry for my necroposting, but this is an aikido sparring, so it is how aikido looks like when it's real.

Last edited:
You mean like this?

Fuck me, I hate this video. I am a third dan in Aikido. I've known the guy in this clip for years. He's very nice but not good, even by Aikido standards. I don't know what was expected from filming this "training", but it didn't happen.

Having done 15 years of Aikido prior to my BJJ brown belt, I can safely say there are useful things to learn that get unfortunately dismissed due to the high general level of batshittery in the art. This kind of stuff does not help.

Last edited:
I know that Jason Delucia was developing a combat aikido system. I'm not sure how it went and I'm too tired to look out up, right now.

The guy is legit, so I'm sure he wasn't going to dwell on any of the silly techniques.

I know that Jason Delucia was developing a combat aikido system. I'm not sure how it went and I'm too tired to look out up, right now.

The guy is legit, so I'm sure he wasn't going to dwell on any of the silly techniques.

He did. He started off as some sort of combat aikido something, then switch to 5 animal Kung fu or something like that...

Well that judoka doesn't look like is going to win the Olympics any time soon.
I'd like to think he was going easy on him! Not to mentioned maybe being confused by the shorter sleeves and big trousers that hide the feet.

Fuck me, I hate this video. I am a third dan in Aikido. I've known the guy in this clip for years. He's very nice but not good, even by Aikido standards. I don't know what was expected from filming this "training", but it didn't happen.

Having done 15 years of Aikido prior to my BJJ brown belt, I can safely say there are useful things to learn that get unfortunately dismissed due to the high general level of batshittery in the art. This kind of stuff does not help.
Out of interest what are the positives to aikido? What things could be implemented into other martial artists games? What does aikido do well?

Out of interest what are the positives to aikido? What things could be implemented into other martial artists games? What does aikido do well?

tldr; Wristlocks are under-developed in BJJ. The sophistication of instruction in BJJ is generally low. At least my lineage of Aikido has a framework for formally teaching concepts of movement and control that most BJJ practitioners develop implicitly over years. I think it's a lot more efficient to teach to the end-state goals.

--------------------

Aikido's historical technical concepts are sound, but the realistic application has been lost through generations of students who didn't spar. Without getting too deep into the weeds, Ueshiba (the founder) got it more or less completely backwards with his philosophy that competition necessitates creating losers and that the act of losing damages the human spirit. Competitive training creates humble students with robust technique. This realization and its ramifications are why I quit Aikido when I was on the trajectory to becoming a senior instructor.

Narrowly, I get a lot of mileage out of the wrist lock repertoire. BJJ only utilizes wrist compression (think palm to elbow) locks. This ignores internal/external rotation, extension, and all the combinations thereof. You can't execute them the traditional Aikido way that people rightfully make fun of (catching punches with no body control), but in my experience they are as high-percentage as anything else if done from a structurally sound position. I honestly believe that there is room for an expansion of wrist attacks analogous to the explosion of leg locks in recent years. The result won't change the meta-game as much as leg locks, but there's a lot of refinement available.

In a more general sense, the things I find valuable are conceptual. At least in the sub-family of Aikido I trained in, there is a formal pedagogical focus on how to generate and transmit force through the body. This includes ideas of grounding and structure when pushing, efficiently relaxing your body to maximize power, a geometric theory of how to capture your opponent's balance (similar to Judo), a specific vocabulary for footwork and hip movement, and drills and concepts for how to manipulate the tension in your opponent's joints to limit their mobility. All of these these have served me well in BJJ and people find them very useful when I introduce them in classes I teach.

None of this is unique to Aikido per se. The human body only moves in a certain number of ways, and an experienced practitioner of almost any art will learn to exploit them, explicitly or otherwise. However, my Aikido training spoke to these ideas directly from day one with an established teaching method, which greatly accelerated my progression in BJJ. I'm not a world-beater or anything, but I got my purple belt in two years from Romero Cavalcanti and Lucas Lepri so whatever I knew was worth something. This is not to say that I'd recommend that anyone actually go train Aikido in its current state. It would be much better to let someone like me cross-polinate and save the rest of you the time of sorting out the crap (of which there is a lot).

Last edited:
He did. He started off as some sort of combat aikido something, then switch to 5 animal Kung fu or something like that...
You may be right about him training in aikido before kung fu, but I believe his emphasis on developing "combat aikido" came after his MMA career. So, he already knew what it took to win fights over tough opponents and such.

That guy's fall is really legit. It's not perfect but fuck man, he dumped himself. Do you think he's faking it or does he buy into the ritual enough to actually get knocked out like they do in Pentecostal church?

One of my training partners is a high level BJJ black belt who integrated some vicious aikido-style wrist locks into his game. Like if he gets a hold of your wrist in open guard he twists in such a way where you either tap or gladly give up side control. He said he learned all his wristlocks from watching aikido videos on YouTube. But it seems like the general aikido setups beyond the actual wristlock technique range from garbage to not practical.

Last edited:
Back