ego check

I play a pretty mellow style and will let people get good grips on me to try to play their game, but I never give taps away. I choose not to do it not because of my ego, but because people have to earn that.

Yea I do this. I try and let people do what they want mainly because I want to be in their best position and work from there. Like there is this one blue belt who smashes me in side control and I can't get out of it. So I keep letting him get there with no effort. Last class he let me get top side control and he was stuck there and then I submitted him. Which is cool and made me feel good don't get me wrong but I learn so much more when someone puts me in positions I can't get out of and now I have to find out what I'm doing wrong.

maybe you are right but i dont think doing this one day out of 9 years of training is really gonna change much tbh, i just wanted to try it. Seems as most people just like my friends at the gym are dead set against it.

i personally dont care what anybody else thinks of how or why i train. Jesus Christ on the mats?? lol maybe when i had long hair ;)

if its just one day no problem, I thought you were doing it all the time....

Lol at the topic.

I got caught in this situation but from the coaching side of side .

I was watching this dude messing up and getting tapped by lower belts but could not tell he was tapping on purpose.,...so I gave him the wrong advices.

We have a 30 second bell on our timer. If the guy is purple belt or below, last 30 seconds I let them try to get what they want and then just survive it. It has resulted in getting put out a few times, having to tap to an armbar, etc. Some people have caught on, some think its legit. I dont really care. Im using it to build my short time survival skills, not to be nice and let some white belt get a pity tap.

We have a 30 second bell on our timer. If the guy is purple belt or below, last 30 seconds I let them try to get what they want and then just survive it. It has resulted in getting put out a few times, having to tap to an armbar, etc. Some people have caught on, some think its legit. I dont really care. Im using it to build my short time survival skills, not to be nice and let some white belt get a pity tap.

This is a great idea. I'm curious as to how you approach rolling with someone who almost always kicks your ass. Aside from the obvious answer of working on your defense.

This is a great idea. I'm curious as to how you approach rolling with someone who almost always kicks your ass. Aside from the obvious answer of working on your defense.
Not to sound cocky, but there really arent a lot of people who can always kick my ass. I have to go waaaay up in weight.

Right now there is a guy on my team who is really good. Medals at IBJJF consistently at superheavy/open. He is a big dude with a slick guard. Super smooth and tricky. I can sweep, cant ever pass, cant submit him, he has submitted me before. With him, my goal is keep it zero to zero until 30 seconds then try to sweep and sneak it out. Not the most fun for him but in my experience, that is exactly how you bridge the gap and compete with guys who can out score you or submit you. Does this guy have more skills than me? I dont know, but I do know he consistently outscores me and can submit me if I make a mistake, so I have to do something to rectify that gap in performance. Honestly its the most enjoyable aspect of BJJ for me. Using skills, strategy, and tactics to overcome something that has been proven to cause me serious problems.

Back