Elder Scrolls Online on PS4, should I pre-order it?

Quinton Overeem

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Is it a good game? Do you think it will sell well? I loved Skyrim, is it as immersive?

It's nothing like Skyrim.

It's like WoW.

It's fun for a little bit, but the PvP is terrible. Lacks the staying power of a great MMORPG, and doesn't really do anything for the Skyrim playerbase. Hence, nearly dead on the PC right now.

^^^ What he said and also its not even made by Bethesda.

Elder Scrolls should remain a single-player RPG. Can't wait until ES6 (or actually, I can, if Fallout 4 comes out anytime soon).

yeah i love skyrim and so I was really excited for ESO. Hated it, only played for one day, just couldn't do it. i wish skyrim had an online mode like borderlands, I would like to play with 1 or two friends, but no MMO.

I doubt it will be around for much longer, so don't waste your money.

yeah i love skyrim and so I was really excited for ESO. Hated it, only played for one day, just couldn't do it. i wish skyrim had an online mode like borderlands, I would like to play with 1 or two friends, but no MMO.

I don't agree with this entirely. ESO could have been a good MMO.

The problem is that people, particularly the people with money (developers) hear MMO, and they think "Game like World of Warcraft". They have no imagination, and very little courage. Granted, it's probably hard to have courage when you have millions of other peoples dollars riding on a game, but still..

World of Warcraft, Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot didn't make their millions by copying the status quo, they shattered it. Or, in the case of WoW, shattered it a little, but improved everything so much that it may as well have been an innovation..

I guess what I'm saying, is that until people come out of the WoW-shadow, MMO's are going to continue to be trash. They don't have to be though, they really don't.

Last edited:
Haven't played it, but the only praises I've heard for it are the the voice acting and soundtrack.

That's it.

If it's a straight port and making no improvements, this review should be enlightening.

[Yt]Ov3B26h12C4[/MEDIA]

I don't know if you are getting the best advice here so far...everyone either seems to have not played it or played it on PC when it first came out...like others have said, it is not Skyrim online...you shouldn't pre-order any game you have no experience with but you should keep an eye out on it...it will be a lot better than what the comments here so far in this thread will have you believe... And it's far from dead on PC...check any video review(that Angry Joe one included) and then read the most recent comments and you will see that what most reviews bitched about have been corrected and the game is now solid...it was basically a beta when it first came out...

then read the most recent comments and you will see that what most reviews bitched about have been corrected and the game is now solid...it was basically a beta when it first came out...

That's an admission the shipped an unfinished product. Not a business practice I'm willing to support, especially with a $60 retail price with a $15 monthly fee.

That's not an attack to you, and I apologize for the snarkiness. But shitty business practices that are against the best interests of the consumer is the #1 issue I have with corporations in the modern era of gaming.

I don't see the point of preordering. The reviews will be out before the game is even released. At most, you wait a week for a review and save yourself $60 if it sucks.

That's an admission the shipped an unfinished product. Not a business practice I'm willing to support, especially with a $60 retail price with a $15 monthly fee.

That's not an attack to you, and I apologize for the snarkiness. But shitty business practices that are against the best interests of the consumer is the #1 issue I have with corporations in the modern era of gaming.

ZeniMax couldn't handle it and Bethesda had to bail them out and help with the game because Bethesda didn't like it's name being besmirched...

I don't disagree with your stance but in their defense I am pretty sure they let people know from the beginning that they were relying on the gaming community to help them shape the game...that's why so many improvements and no subscription fee now...Tamriel edition is what the game should have been to start with...but I don't believe they deceived anyone into thinking it was finished and polished from the get go...

ZeniMax couldn't handle it and Bethesda had to bail them out and help with the game because Bethesda didn't like it's name being besmirched...

I don't disagree with your stance but in their defense I am pretty sure they let people know from the beginning that they were relying on the gaming community to help them shape the game...that's why so many improvements and no subscription fee now...Tamriel edition is what the game should have been to start with...but I don't believe they deceived anyone into thinking it was finished and polished from the get go...

I admittedly haven't been keeping up with the updates since the release. It's a positive sign that Bethesda stepped in, and also the removal of the monthly fees. Did they get rid of the retarded 'Pay to play Imperial?'

But let me tighten on my pessimistic asshole hat.

Shouldn't they been following the development of the MMO from the beginning? Especially since this is the first MMO Zenimax has created? At least for the last few months before release to discover the huge problems?

And yes, it is decieving that it was finished and polished. It was a Bethesda IP on store shelves.

And relying on the gaming community? Yep, the reviews and word-of-mouth was quite clear. A very bad first impression which could cost the entire profitability of an MMO, just look at The Old Republic.

And let me take off my hat for a sec.

It may seem like I'm royally pissed off, but I'm not. I'm simpily not interested in playing MMOs, and I doubt that ESO would have changed my mind. The only games I play online are Starcraft 2 and CS:GO. However, I'll criticize any game developer that exercises bad business practices. And I credited Zenimax for ESO's failures, not Bethesda.

I admittedly haven't been keeping up with the updates since the release. It's a positive sign that Bethesda stepped in, and also the removal of the monthly fees. Did they get rid of the retarded 'Pay to play Imperial?'

Shouldn't they been following the development of the MMO from the beginning? Especially since this is the first MMO Zenimax has created? At least for the last few months before release to discover the huge problems?

And yes, it is decieving that it was finished and polished. It was a Bethesda IP on store shelves.

And relying on the gaming community? Yep, the reviews and word-of-mouth was quite clear. A very bad first impression which could cost the entire profitability of an MMO, just look at The Old Republic.

It may seem like I'm royally pissed off, but I'm not. I'm simpily not interested in playing MMOs, and I doubt that ESO would have changed my mind. The only games I play online are Starcraft 2 and CS:GO. However, I'll criticize any game developer that exercises bad business practices. And I credited Zenimax for ESO's failures, not Bethesda.

If you don't even like MMOs, what on earth are you doing giving advice to someone who is?

If you don't even like MMOs, what on earth are you doing giving advice to someone who is?

I passed along what I've heard from people that do like MMOs.

I commented on two types of bad business practices that have been infecting gaming for a while now.

I think Imperial comes with pre-orders...maybe that's why ts was asking about pre-ordering...

I'm assuming Bethesda thought there is no way Zenimax could screw it up...

Only reason I'm defending the game is because it was getting shit on in this thread for what I felt were false reasons...or based on it's past and not it's current state...so I am just clearing the air...

One of Angry Joe's co-streamers plays it on the regular...I will probably pick it up once I'm bored with Witcher 3...

From the trailers, it looks like they want to make sure that almost every bad thing said about the game has been covered and fixed...they make a point of addressing most of the cons from when it first came out...but people shouldn't expect a Skyrim game that is online...it's more like Guild Wars...

[YT]biX-yeYlC5U[/YT]

[YT]d1zxzumrBWc[/YT]

[YT]jIWJ9RNiZRk[/YT]

Hold on, I don't like MMOs, I said that I love Skyrim. On the same note, a friend tried to turn me into a WOW addict and It didn't gain my interest after passing level 6 lol. In terms of rpg games, I like adventures and stories. Not things like killing 6 ogres to complete a mission, collect 7 flowers on a small area etc..

I also like the idea of levelling my character up in order to kill other players. But not by killing meaningless creatures ==> mission complete.

I'll think I'll get it on release. The sooner you get into a MMO title the better I think :)

Last edited:
You'd have to be an idiot to preorder it. Considering how bad it was at launch on PC, no way you should give them money before ample reviews--and consumer reviews, are in.

The best way would be to find forums for it on some gaming site, and check back a month after release. See if:

1) They are getting a lot of traffic
and
2) Whether most threads are people discussing quests, loot, lore and PVP...or are people bitching about pay2win, empty servers, bugs, and lack of content.

Back